• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Food storage

Sam's sells 25lb bags of table salt.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/morton...ag/160341.ip?sprodId=160341&_requestid=391118

It's even listed as Kosher. You'll have to decide if you want your long term salt to be iodized or not. If I were storing, I would have a quantity of both, as iodide is a very necessary ingredient for thyroid health.

FWIW, I do not use iodized salt to preserve anything, but I do use it at the table if I'm not using a coarse sea salt. Ya gotta have salt for your eggs, esp if they are rehydrated.

Perfect! Thanks! [thumbsup]

I think the emphasized "do not save soaking water" is based on what leaches out of the beans into the water. It's the part of the bean that gives you the most farts. So the Interwebs are full of people (wives) saying to toss it because nobody likes (other peoples') farts. If I had to survive on rice and beans, I might be concerned about giving away my position with loud/stank nasty farts but otherwise it would just be more fun.

I will never even consider tossing the water then. That's half the fun of eating beans!

I will never even consider tossing the water then. That's half the fun of eating beans!

Exactly... I wish I could add MORE of that into the beans. I'm going to use less water to soak the beans now, that way I loose less of what makes them so great.

Beans, the food that talks BACK! [smile]

I think the emphasized "do not save soaking water" is based on what leaches out of the beans into the water. It's the part of the bean that gives you the most farts. So the Interwebs are full of people (wives) saying to toss it because nobody likes (other peoples') farts. If I had to survive on rice and beans, I might be concerned about giving away my position with loud/stank nasty farts but otherwise it would just be more fun.

One other thought. If you are 'storing' food, the other thing you don't want to give away is calories. So farts be damned, save the calories in that water, give it to your dogs/livestock, but don't throw it away. Between 2 dogs and 24 chickens we very very rarely throw any food away any more.

I bought some Red Feather canned butter for storage and have decided I bought more than I need. I have several cases that I will sell below retail price. It's new, first quality, recent production, undented cans in sealed cases. I can meet Metrowest or will also ship it to you if that's more convenient. PM me if you're interested.

My favorite food storage method is canning. You can can anything - vegetables, meat, butter, stews, soups, fruits, jams/jellies, beans. I like to can as complete meals as I can when possible so I can chili seasoned beans and lots of soups/stews. This means I will not have to use water reserves for the bulk of any meal I make. It certainly beats frozen food which can spoil when the power goes out or freeze dried which is expensive and not part of my regular meal rotation.

Another consideration for the rice and bean storage. Keep in mind that beans take a long ass time to cook, even after soaking overnight. So if you plan on cooking them on a little camp stove you'll go through gas quickly. They also require a lot of water, first to soak (you don't want to keep that water), then to cook.

Lentils and split peas are a good option if water is a concern.

If you have plenty of time to cook the meal, say overnight for the next day this might be an idea to conserve fuel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haybox

I don't think it works for raw meats and if I was adding meat I'd probably do it towards the end of the cooking and make sure it got heated thoroughly.

My favorite food storage method is canning. You can can anything - vegetables, meat, butter, stews, soups, fruits, jams/jellies, beans. I like to can as complete meals as I can when possible so I can chili seasoned beans and lots of soups/stews. This means I will not have to use water reserves for the bulk of any meal I make. It certainly beats frozen food which can spoil when the power goes out or freeze dried which is expensive and not part of my regular meal rotation.

My all-american pressure canner does 7 quart jars per batch. Did 7 pounds of bacon last night. Market basket had it on sale for 2.49/pound, backing the truck up.

Lentils and split peas are a good option if water is a concern.

If you have plenty of time to cook the meal, say overnight for the next day this might be an idea to conserve fuel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haybox

I don't think it works for raw meats and if I was adding meat I'd probably do it towards the end of the cooking and make sure it got heated thoroughly.

Absolutely, and both are great foods and easy to work with. Steel cut oats can also be cooked overnight using the "bring to a boil then let it sit" technique.

I'd never heard of a haybox, but it makes sense. I've used towels to keep things warm but I'd never considered insulating to keep the cooking going. I bet you could build one for a specific pot by building a box, wrapping the intended pot in saran wrap and filling the voids with expanding foam. Hmmm.

Absolutely, and both are great foods and easy to work with. Steel cut oats can also be cooked overnight using the "bring to a boil then let it sit" technique.

I'd never heard of a haybox, but it makes sense. I've used towels to keep things warm but I'd never considered insulating to keep the cooking going. I bet you could build one for a specific pot by building a box, wrapping the intended pot in saran wrap and filling the voids with expanding foam. Hmmm.

Duct work insulation. like this http://www.westsidewholesale.com/re...874645&pdv=c&gclid=CImW4YGP-8ACFaTm7Aodrw4ASg

I carry a pouch to 'cook' dehydrated meals in. Drop the meal pouch in the insulated pouch, add boiling water, close up both pouches. You can use it to make a 'pot cozy.' does the same thing. Here's a youtube video of a pot cozy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlI3Kp_NTEM

Canning is wonderful. I brought to work and popped open a quart jar of pickles canned in '05 from one of my uncles. It is amazing how many people have no clue about canning, and how long things can last. I remeber my grandparents and their "pantry" in the basement. Shelves from floor to ceiling stacked deep with home canned stuff. Mostly from their garden. I dont' think many understand that's how some folks got through the winter. If you canned and had a root cellar, winter was fairly easy on you. It's also how that generation of my family got by. They didn't have the $$ to be buying things they could produce themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom