"FN Five-seven" - a gun without minuses?

Troll : "Internet slang, a troll is someone with the username of QWERTY53 who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."
FIFY.

A .22 LR will go through a vest most of the time, and a .22 mag or .17 HMR will every time.

Ballistically, the 5.7 is virtually identical to a .22 Mag at several times the price.

well for different purposes.
It cannot shoot as far and as accurate as mark 23 or be put in the water and shoot...
But I am trying to understand exactly why wasn't it adopted.

The FN Fiveseven wasn't adopted by anyone with a brain because the cartridge is pure shit in terms of terminal ballistics. The terminal wound ballistics are no better than .22 Magnum.

-Mike

Last edited:
oh nonno. I am not comparing. Nothing can compare to mark 23.
I am just saying that this one is light, low recoil and can allegedly penetrate a vest. Now if all those statements are just gimmicks then this is useless. That is what I am trying to figure out. I know no one tested it with vvests but the super low recoil....

Just buy one already. And plenty of things can compare to the Mark 23.

I think it's just a super niche sort of thing. If you need something that could be used in a tight crowd without ~as much~ risk of collateral damage then maybe it makes sense. Secret Service type stuff where the goal is to slow down or distract a single or small group of attackers just long enough to get the President covered and / or moved, and hopefully without a miss killing someone's grandma 300 yards away. Other than that I can't really think of any situation where it provides much advantage.

Nidal Malik Hasan used one pretty effectively for what he was doing.

"Only" 30% of the people he shot were killed. If it had been a 9mm it might have been twice that.

The only time I could see recommending a 5.7x28 for defensive use is for someone that can't handle the recoil of a 9mm. Like the .25ACP, it should be a bit more reliable than a rimfire. Even then, I'd likely tell that person to just practice more with a 9mm. I got to try one out at an FN demo. They are fun to shoot and have very little recoil but I'll go with something bigger myself.

The FN Fiveseven wasn't adopted by anyone with a brain because the cartridge is pure shit in terms of terminal ballistics. The terminal wound ballistics are no better than .22 Magnum.

-Mike
And yet the Boston Police circulated a memo to their members to be on the lookout for this dangerous cop-killing gun and reporting that one had already been seized in MA.

If you're seriously interested in this, they have one of these to rent up at Original Bob's, and I shot it once a while back. I remember thinking it had more recoil than I expected - I thought more than a 9mm, but I haven't shot a lot of 9mm. It was $27 for 50 rounds, which is crazy. But they also have the FN PS90, which takes the same ammo and is a lot more fun to shoot.

I would agree with everyone else and say you're definitely better off saving the extra money you'd spend on ammo for this thing and just get a 40 or 45. Improving your accuracy by shooting more is going to get you where you want to be, rather than trying to find some special round so you can spray and pray.

As for ballistics of the round, I'm sure there's some research on the internet (or in a library, for that matter) that's going to be much more accurate than what someone will tell you in a forum.

And yet the Boston Police circulated a memo to their members to be on the lookout for this dangerous cop-killing gun and reporting that one had already been seized in MA.

safetyalert.gif

(Complete Bradybunch BS by the way.)

SERIOUSLY.... someone needs to whack George Lucas in the head with a shovel, and then use it to bury him... can you believe this crap?

REALLY GEORGE??
1, 2 and 3 weren't bad enough so you frakked with 4, 5, and 6.... AND NOW MORE OF THE SAME?!?!?

Who has 2 thumbs and just dremelled an auto bolt release for his wife's 10/22 AND didn't dremel off any body parts in the process?

THIS GUY!!!

Sure... I could've bought an auto bolt release, but hey.... I just justified the dremel!

I even wore safety glasses!

Before
uploadfromtaptalk1315007839598.jpg

After
uploadfromtaptalk1315007898888.jpg

The one on the left is a release plate i bought for my LTR,
The right, top and bottom are before/after....

Ended up having to take a little more off before it worked correctly, didn't take a second after pic though...

I know, i know.... Big hairy deal.... But hey! It was my first time doing something other than knocking pins out and replacing parts.... There was cutting and grinding involved, and i saved money not having to buy the thing!

And yes, i realize the table cloth looks like i stole it from blindndead's avatar....

ETA1:
Damn.... Now i want to pick up a beater for cheap and rebuild it with all kinds of sick parts.... Titanium action... Bull bbl....

ETA2:
I'm going to open up a whole new market for auto bolt release 10/22 mods for our boys overseas and in LE.... I just needa get hired by Red Jacket...

ETA3:
IBTMFL

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Last edited:

There have been so many of those stupid memos floating around that, believe it or not, ATF released a memo about the gun/ammo, this isn't the original one but it basically had the same info on it. If I was going to make a WAG, the ATF had a
never ending stream of dumbass LEOs who fell for those widely circulated bulletins- and those LEOs were probably trying
to rat on dealers, etc.... [thinking]

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2005/01/012005-openletter-tech-fabrique-nationale-pistol.html

-Mike

What's the catch?

Ammo co$t

Reloading a bit more difficult due to a bottleneck case

Restricted sales of high performance ammo (performance comparisons should only include the ammo you can get)

Ammo co$t.

Oh, and did I mention the cost of ammo?

This is the most unfriendly forum I've seen.

Really? Try needing a small favor, or a big one from the shooting community, post the situation on the forum, and then you'll find what kind of folk lurk here.

Back
Top Bottom