• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows

Was this a good shoot?

• Yes

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 125 82.8%

• Total voters
Why do you want to see the HK sticker?
Trolling again? Or is it "still trolling"?

Note the word "also", it means "in addition to". So in addition to seeing it the way I want too, I see an HK sticker. It's called english, a handy skill to have.

The perp has a deadly weapon in his hand, this is a known fact. What his intent is, only the perp knows. What the store owner is seeing is a bad guy with a deadly weapon, I don't blame him for not waiting around to see what the perp is going to do with the axe. Good shoot. No way a jury will convict, too much what ifs and doubt of perp's intent. 21' rule, were talking a 4' situation, one step towards the store owner with a swing and the store owner is potentially hit with an axe. Again, unknown what the perp's intent is upon being confronted but he's in possession of a deadly implement.
The judge denied bail probably on political BS, wonder if he's up for election or a democrat. People who do much worse are assigned bail.

One more observation, everything leading up to the actual point of shooting is moot. His decisions prior to the shoot could have been a better choice, but this comes down to a few split second(s). The perp is armed with a deadly weapon with unknown intent. Deadly weapon is deadly weapon, knife, gun, axe or grenade, all deadly. Store owner feared for his life upon weapon being displayed, enough doubt.

Trolling again? Or is it "still trolling"?

Note the word "also", it means "in addition to". So in addition to seeing it the way I want too, I see an HK sticker. It's called english, a handy skill to have.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough:

What does the HK sticker mean to you in this case?

He was trying to flee. Probably a bad shot. Got the guy on camera.
But....
What was he going to do with that hatchet?
May have saved some life or limb offing that turd.
Carefuk where you tread on statements like this.

"What was he going to do with that hatchet....may have saved some or limb".

I don't like being judged by the anti crowd for what they "presume" I MIGHT do with a fire arm.....let's not do the same for a homeless guy and a hatchet.

I'm talking pure legal speak here......but with an ascertation like that......if someone steals a hunting kinife from a sporting goods store it's an assumption that the perp is now going to commit a crime with it so it's ok to shoot em to stop a crime that hasn't happened?

Last edited:
Nation of Cowards A Nation of Cowards

Seriously, we seem to be willing to lower the bar for honesty to perilously low levels to cut taxes paid for law enforcement and prisons to the point where... I run out of words.

That bar lowered itself mainly due to people's lack of any type of religious background and the general disregard for other people's property. It has NOTHING to do with tax cuts or cutting or law enforcement or prisons.

It has more to do with third worlders and minorities that think they are entitled to what ever the next guy has and the insatiable quest for the dollar, lack of work ethic and lack of ethics period.

That bar lowered itself mainly due to people's lack of any type of religious background and the general disregard for other people's property. It has NOTHING to do with tax cuts or cutting or law enforcement or prisons.
It has to do with the standards of those that they hire. To get into Law Enforcement (and to a large degree as well, Corrections) you have to be a saint, and olympic athlete, and have a high college degree. I worked with 3 other officers who demonstrated respect, judgement, common sense and a firm sense of duty. All were raised Catholic and all failed polygraphs so they were not allowed to become police officers. I worked with some who were great athletes and had college degrees, but had no morals when you worked with them. Several of those passed polygraphs. Why the difference? Because being raised Catholic causes you to have great guilt about anything that you have done wrong. Did you ever take a pencil that didn't belong to you? If so, and raised Catholic, you probably agonized over it for a long time. The ones who had no morals and passed polygraphs tended to feel that if they took something, they deserved it. They had no memory of what they did wrong, and so had no remorse or guilt over what they had done, and flew through polygraphs.

For the record, what's not shown in the selective media outrage clip here is that the thief appears to have taken a swing at the store owner before getting to the door, and possibly before the store owner drew his gun.

The store owner stands in front of the door, the thief comes into the edge of the field of view, moves his body in a twisting motion, with one hand out in the field of view (the hatchet isn't in sight, but is later shown in the other hand) and the store owner seems to ward off something with his non-dominant hand while taking a big step back, reaching down/back/forward with his dominant hand (watch the shoulder movement; his shirt bunches, and his shoulder raises above his neck). Seems like his hand was at the ready until this point.

Also you can very clearly see the hatchet in the hand of the thief as he opens the door, and on the ground after he goes down. It seems pretty likely that the hatchet was in his hand for the entirety of the roughly 20 seconds of action in the 1 minute clip - it certainly is from the time his body enters the camera shot. With that said, the shopkeeper clearly holds on to the guy as he's headed out the door, by his shirt and arm.

Unfortunately it's a terrible angle and fairly low resolution.

So does that change anything in anyone's eyes? If the guy took a swing first, or was merely moving towards the shopkeeper, hatchet in hand, when the shopkeeper drew down?

View attachment 250776

View attachment 250771

View attachment 250778

View attachment 250779

View attachment 250774

View attachment 250764

View attachment 250765

View attachment 250781

View attachment 250768

View attachment 250769

This whole two-step forward-background thing is what confuses me; not legally, it's pretty clear under law in most places, but I mean conceptually.

You take a person who has a weapon and has just committed a crime. Are they stepping towards you, or away? Have they already assaulted you? Who's to say that they won't do it again, after they step away? The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior; if someone just attacked you, the fact that they're moving away from you SLIGHTLY doesn't mean they're not coming back to attack you again - the threat is continued, and anything but neutralized. Let's say somebody hits you and knocks you to the ground - like that other recent Florida case - they seem to be stepping away, a foot or two, but why? To get a knife, hatchet, bat, or gun out of their car? To regroup and catch their breath before kicking you while you're down? Would it be unreasonable in those circumstances to think that your life may be at risk, continued risk?

Take a person drawing a firearm; a step-back-quick-draw is common, and may even be seen in this video; it's certainly not a retreat or the end of a confrontation but an initiation or escalation of force. If you know the Tueller dillema (some people call this the 21 foot rule or Tueller rule) you know that a person with an edged weapon in hand can get a fairly good jump on a person with a holstered pistol even if they're not already in motion.

Damn, that was the hatchet in the guys hand behind the door? That might change my vote. I need to read all the posts before voting.

If, IF, that is the hatchet, it changes the level of threat at the time of the shooting. Is it enough to say 'good shoot'? I don't know without more information. If it's a big town where police are seconds away, it's simply best to be a good witness if at all possible.

Funny how so many here have been fooled by the edited TV clip into thinking that the perp did not have the hatchet in his hand as he tried to fight off the store owner to get away. The longer video is crystal clear.

All I can say is that the DA and prosecutor would not want me on that jury. I do not take kindly to shoplifters... especially the "armed with a stolen hatchet" kind. [thinking]

The perp has a deadly weapon in his hand, this is a known fact. What his intent is, only the perp knows. What the store owner is seeing is a bad guy with a deadly weapon, I don't blame him for not waiting around to see what the perp is going to do with the axe. Good shoot. No way a jury will convict, too much what ifs and doubt of perp's intent. 21' rule, were talking a 4' situation, one step towards the store owner with a swing and the store owner is potentially hit with an axe. Again, unknown what the perp's intent is upon being confronted but he's in possession of a deadly implement.
The judge denied bail probably on political BS, wonder if he's up for election or a democrat. People who do much worse are assigned bail.
You are way too confident about what a jury would do, I hope for your sake you never have to face one.

I see this way more simple than trying to determine if it is a good shoot vs bad shoot. Precedent has shown again and again that any cop in that situation would not even be charged therefore this guy should not be charged. I do not see that any cops life is more important than any one elses so either he does not get charged or cops do.

You are right. There is a massive double standard. Zero chance a cop is charged with anything. On or off duty.

“He should have complied.”

“He had a weapon in his hand.”

Etc.

If I am a lawyer, I bring up as evidence the thousands of cases where people are shot by cops simply because the cops feared for his/her life.

That’s not how things work.

I see this way more simple than trying to determine if it is a good shoot vs bad shoot. Precedent has shown again and again that any cop in that situation would not even be charged therefore this guy should not be charged. I do not see that any cops life is more important than any one elses so either he does not get charged or cops do. If I am a lawyer, I bring up as evidence the thousands of cases where people are shot by cops simply because the cops feared for his/her life.

This

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough:

What does the HK sticker mean to you in this case?
To me personally, not a dam thing.
To the situation?
Was this a gun store? Could change the dynamics of the situation. Could also be used by the cops to make him look like a gun nut. Context of what happened is important, and we don't have it.

Looks to me like he shot him to stop him from fleeing, not because he perceived him to be a threat. Now is using deadly force justified to protect your property? That’s a matter of opinion.

Looks to me like he shot him to stop him from fleeing, not because he perceived him to be a threat. Now is using deadly force justified to protect your property? That’s a matter of opinion.
In some states it's a matter of law. TX clearly states that I can shoot to protect my property. Personally, if your stealing my tv, I'm not going to shoot you. But that's just me.

When I look at these things, I'm looking for any excuse to call it self-defense, to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt. I can't see it here, and that's not what I wanted to see. If Florida law permits him as a merchant to detain with threat of deadly force for petty theft, then he might have been within his rights. But that's what he needs, IMHO.

You can see that Lopez's grip on the hatchet in his right hand was choked up all the way to the blade, and he had hooked the handle around the door, probably to give himself a grip to resist the force of the merchant trying to pull him back. The hatchet was not in a striking grip when he was shot, nor at any time in the doorway. If Lopez had stopped pulling away and started to shift his weight back towards the merchant while unhooking the hatchet handle from around the door, I'd be all for shooting him instantly, even without him attempting to modify his grip to a striking grip, but none of that happened here. The hatchet handle stayed hooked around the door, and Lopez was pulling away to the point of falling down. I think he would have fallen without being shot. The merchant showed he wasn't in fear when he grabbed him by the shoulder while Lopez had his back turned, to the the point of grabbing the shirt when the grip on the shoulder failed.

The self-defense claim might get him a hung jury, I guess, but I think it's just a calculated thing here. I don't believe this merchant was in fear. His actions belie it. Probably at the time he thought he was within his legal rights to detain Lopez using any level of force.

To me personally, not a dam thing.
To the situation?
Was this a gun store? Could change the dynamics of the situation. Could also be used by the cops to make him look like a gun nut. Context of what happened is important, and we don't have it.
No, it was an Army/Navy store.

When I look at these things, I'm looking for any excuse to call it self-defense, to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt. I can't see it here, and that's not what I wanted to see. If Florida law permits him as a merchant to detain with threat of deadly force for petty theft, then he might have been within his rights. But that's what he needs, IMHO.

You can see that Lopez's grip on the hatchet in his right hand was choked up all the way to the blade, and he had hooked the handle around the door, probably to give himself a grip to resist the force of the merchant trying to pull him back. The hatchet was not in a striking grip when he was shot, nor at any time in the doorway. If Lopez had stopped pulling away and started to shift his weight back towards the merchant while unhooking the hatchet handle from around the door, I'd be all for shooting him instantly, even without him attempting to modify his grip to a striking grip, but none of that happened here. The hatchet handle stayed hooked around the door, and Lopez was pulling away to the point of falling down. I think he would have fallen without being shot. The merchant showed he wasn't in fear when he grabbed him by the shoulder while Lopez had his back turned, to the the point of grabbing the shirt when the grip on the shoulder failed.

The self-defense claim might get him a hung jury, I guess, but I think it's just a calculated thing here. I don't believe this merchant was in fear. His actions belie it. Probably at the time he thought he was within his legal rights to detain Lopez using any level of force.
Allowed to detain, but not at gunpoint, for a minor theft.

Back
Top Bottom