Flawless handguns - Which have been for you?

I've had a few handguns that have been flawless. I mean, not even a glitch. Would like to know who out there can remember a gun they own or owned that was flawless.

For me it was my Beretta 92FS, Sig 226, M&P9 and M&P Shield 9mm.

As for my Bodyguard, I've never had a glitch but a friend did when he tried it, stovepipe if I remember.

It seems S&W gets it right.

Last edited:
Guess I've been lucky. Everything has run flawlessly for me but a 1911 and that one doesnt actually malfunction fully but occasionally crushes brass. Suspect it is a precursor to stovepiping.

226, 642, 686, 6906, bodygaurd 380, sw pro series 3" 1911 all run without a hickup. Even guns I've sold,

Hi point c9 :) I am actually being honest. I can't remember a single ftf or fte after a few hundred rounds....

I did pass on a raven .25 the other day though...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My 642 fell apart the first time I shot it (barrel lockup plunger fell out), went back a
nd has been ok since. Glock 26 has been pretty good, tight chamber though, had some issues with reloads locking it up. Shield had a few jams here and there, but pretty good. M&p 9 was good although mages wouldn't always seat and would fall out. Pm9 feed issues. Sr9c feed issues. Glock 42 initial feed issues, but went away after adding mag guts plates. Colt 70 series government 1911 absolute POS.

Sig p226, Rutger sr1911,Glock 19, Glock 41, sig p238, Glock 30, s&w e 1911 Rutger bisley Blackhawks, Rutger gp100 3" h&k p2000, all flawless.

Last edited:
Seems the more I clean and lube them the more flawless they run. Reverse holds true also

The guns that run flawless with abuse are J frames. I have one that can get stupid dirty , dust dirt powder residue from reloads doesn't care. I once did not clean that revolver for three years waiting for it to fail and it never did. Decided it wouldn't.

SHTF and my back up gun will be a wheel gun.

All with zero stoppages, including with steel case crap ammo:

Beretta 92G > 7000 rds
Sig P220 > 4000 rds
Sig 1911 TTT > 3000 rds
M&P 9 full size > 3000 rds
M&P 45 full size > 2500 rds
Glock 17 gen 3 > 3000 rds
Glock 22 gen 3 > 2000 rds through me, a ton more from previous owners
Glock 32 gen 4 > 2000 rds
HK 45 > 2000 rds (caveat: cannot cycle steel wolf ammo)
HK P2000 9mm > 2000 rds

Despite being reliable the M&P's got sold. some others but they aren't over 1k round so not worth mentioning. to me a gun hasn't proved itself until it fires 1000 rds and at least 100 of defensive ammo. then i trust it.

It's an interesting question. I don't think I own a gun that hasn't had a hiccup at one point. Though I do cycle a lot of ammo through them and try a number of different brands of ammo to see what a particular gun likes or doesn't like. If I don't get a gun to run flawlessly with the ammo it prefers then I don't keep it. I like the feeling of knowing that if I have to grab something quick I can trust it to function properly.

M&P 45c, no issues at all and have around 2k through the pipe.
Polish P64 makarov shoots all the junk ammo I can find.
S&W Model 422 shoots lights out and never a hiccup.

my keltec needs to go back to the factory but that gun has had a lot of ammo put through it.

CZ 75 P-01, CZ 75 Tactical Sport, CZ Czechmate for me. My Sig 226 and 229 were very rock solid too but I felt more confident that the CZ's would yield zero surprises.

The most reliable guns I've had are the ones with good magazines with feed lips that aren't beat up, and which are fed in-spec ammo. Glock, Beretta, 1911, etc. doesn't really matter much. I'm inclined to disbelieve people who say their gun is "flawless." Flawless guns probably haven't been shot much.

All my handguns are as reliable as can be. The only one that didn't run 100%, a 1911, was sold.

A "flawless" handgun hasn't been shot enough.

The most reliable guns I've had are the ones with good magazines with feed lips that aren't beat up, and which are fed in-spec ammo. Glock, Beretta, 1911, etc. doesn't really matter much. I'm inclined to disbelieve people who say their gun is "flawless." Flawless guns probably haven't been shot much.

This is my thought. How are we defining "flawless"? Hundreds of rounds? Thousands? Tens of thousands? How many rounds between cleanings?

If you go to the range and put a box or two of ammo down the pipe, then go home and clean it, is that really comparable to running it until you get failures before cleaning? Which is a more accurate description of reliability?

The only failures I've had from my RIA 1911 was when the feed lip cracked on a magazine; otherwise, it's been flawless. The only failure I've had on my Shield was when the recoil spring assembly broke after 350 rounds; since replacing the RSA, it's been flawless. That said, I've only shot like 400 rounds since then, so too early to tell?

Heck, my 10/22 (not a handgun, I know) has shot everything I've fed it. But when I did the Harvard Appleseed this spring, I had a couple FTEs towards the end of the second ~500 round day. Obviously not "flawless," but certainly admirable, no?

G17,26,43,19.
Xds9
Shield
PM9
PPSm2...can't list them all but all have been 100%
Ruger SR9c had a few FTF
My Springfield RO 9mm had 2 issues using Blazer Aluminum
Biggest POS was the 1st Gen Walther P22

can't say i have issues with my handguns. only problems i encounter in semi autos are induced by my handloads, usually a bad crimp. although i do remember two problem children from a long time ago, both put up for adoption. another story another time.

Only guns that ever gave me trouble.
G43 finnicky little bugger stove piped in me two times at a range session
walther p22
rock island 10mm did not like hot stuff
other than that nothing I have hasn't cycled. Maybe I'm forgetting one but everything has been reliable usually.

My gen 2 Glock 19 has been flawless through 3k since I bought it. Its the only handgun I don't have any doubt in.

The rest, the round counts are low (G21, Sig 938) or are awaiting parts to correct problems (G17, G22).

Back
Top Bottom