• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flawless handguns - Which have been for you?

Sig p226, G17, G19, G21, G26, G30, H&K VP9. Never had one issue with any of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My M&P Shield 9mm is running flawless. Only two hundred rounds run through it so far. I did upgrade the sights with Ameriglo big dot night sights and I also did the Apex carry action kit and trigger replacement. It was the first time working on a pistol. It took a lot of patience on the rear sight......so tight. Really like how smooth the press and reset is, especially since I was able to do the work myself.

I spoke too soon. Put a box (50) of ammo through my Bodyguard. The slide didn't lock back on my last mag of ammo. I ran 3 mags.

These guys speak the truth.
A "flawless" handgun hasn't been shot enough.

The most reliable guns I've had are the ones with good magazines with feed lips that aren't beat up, and which are fed in-spec ammo. Glock, Beretta, 1911, etc. doesn't really matter much. I'm inclined to disbelieve people who say their gun is "flawless." Flawless guns probably haven't been shot much.

No such thing as any piece of machinery that is flawless.

When properly maintained and fed perfect ammo in perfect magazines, all of my pistols perform as designed.

I know that after 3-400 rounds my 1911 and 2011 need at least some oil on the rails and lugs. My plastic guns can go longer without maintenance, but the trigger will feel gritty, and if seriously gunked up it may have a light strike.

Wall of Fame: Sig P220 Compact SAS SRT. Eats everything.

Wall of Shame: New Glock 34, fail to feed multiple times, 4 different types of ammo. Pretty sure it resulted from one of the 3 mags being 'off', but that's no excuse. Sold it without the dodgy mag.

59-2, 1911 performance center , 41 .....for SW
CZ82, Romanian TT33
S&W 41!!! OMG. Had 2 of them both went to SMith and Wesson for work to prevent stovepipes. Neither got fixed so I sold them both. Shoot a Pardini now.

Wall of Fame: Sig P220 Compact SAS SRT. Eats everything.

Wall of Shame: New Glock 34, fail to feed multiple times, 4 different types of ammo. Pretty sure it resulted from one of the 3 mags being 'off', but that's no excuse. Sold it without the dodgy mag.
Just so you know. Most 9MM Glocks have feed problems with the neutered 10 round magazines required in MA. I replaced the "2183" flat followers with "9MM3" followers and never had another problem with my G17, G34 , or G19. FYI - Glock provided the 9MM3 followers free of charge when I called them. I explained that I shot the pistols in IDPA and that I had 16 magazines between the 3 pistols and they sent me 18 followers , no questions asked.

Just so you know. Most 9MM Glocks have feed problems with the neutered 10 round magazines required in MA. I replaced the "2183" flat followers with "9MM3" followers and never had another problem with my G17, G34 , or G19. FYI - Glock provided the 9MM3 followers free of charge when I called them. I explained that I shot the pistols in IDPA and that I had 16 magazines between the 3 pistols and they sent me 18 followers , no questions asked.

Good to know, and good service from Glock. Don't get me wrong- I think Glocks are fun; but I don't place them on a pedestal for reliability.

I have owned these pistols which worked flawlessly: Beretta 92FS, S&W Shield, S&W M&P 45, S&W 5906 , Ruger 1911, Sig P226

I had horrible experience with Ruger LC9 , the trigger sucked, but the deal breaker was the firing pin would shave brass off the primers, and collect them in the firing pin hole in the bolt, so it wouldn't fire. I had nightmares about that thing not working when I need it most.

I had a Sig Mosquito that was not so great, would jam a fair amount.

I have a Sig 1911 XO that sometimes has Failure to chamber or eject, I think the tolerances are too tight in the chamber. It is finicky and needs to be clean.

For me, these four pistols have worked flawlessly: Sig P226, Ruger Mark II, S&W M&P Shield, and S&W M&P .45C. Regarding the Sig and the Ruger, that's saying something because I've been using the Ruger and the Sig over 20 years. All four have eaten up and spit out everything I fed them without a hiccup.

Good to know, and good service from Glock. Don't get me wrong- I think Glocks are fun; but I don't place them on a pedestal for reliability.
Funny thig is that I think exactly the opposite. I think Glocks are popular and I like them because of reliability, simplicity , and ease of maintenance. I've switched from a G34 to a CZ-75 SP01 in competition and Ill take the CZ hands down for that purpose. I still carry a G19 or a G30S, have a takedown punch attached to my keychain and can take down either gun and replace anything in less than 10 minutes. (I could not take the trigger assembly out of the CZ in that time)

I;m sure other companies have similar customer service organizations but you cannot beat the Glock lifetime guarantee. I bought a Gen2 G21 that had spent 10 years on a fishing boat in Alaska and when I got it the extractor was not working properly. I took it apart and found the spring totally clogged with grime and who knows what else. I cleaned it all out but the spring was still sticking. I called Glock and after 10 minutes on the phone explaining teh situation and condition of the gun I had a complete upper and lower rebuild kit on the way to me at no cost. Other than the barrel and the magazines they replaced everything free of cost!!!!!! I think the reason I spent 10 minutes on the phone was they were just trying to determine that I could do the work myself.

For me, these four pistols have worked flawlessly: Sig P226, Ruger Mark II, S&W M&P Shield, and S&W M&P .45C. Regarding the Sig and the Ruger, that's saying something because I've been using the Ruger and the Sig over 20 years. All four have eaten up and spit out everything I fed them without a hiccup.
Now you have me thinking. My Ruger Mark III has been flawless and eats ANY type of ammo I feed it including Remington US Army Bulk surplus training ammo. (At $13.99 a brick you can't expect much but the Ruger likes it!!)

Glock 19- couple thousand rounds through it, crappiest ammo I could buy... flawless.

Even took a bullet that would not shoot on a friends vp9 this weekend, tossed it in the 19 and fired, no problem.

Last edited:
I picked up a S&W Model 36 from Four Seasons somewhere around a decade ago. Some place had them as security-guard guns. Left in the boxes since the 70's. High polish blue. Original little blue cardboard box. Flawless. I'm pretty sure I've never shot it. LOL

I've got a Win 1895 (in 30US or 30-40 Krag as we call it today) with a 3-digit serial #. At some point, I have to send it to Turnbull and have it flawless-ized.

Now you have me thinking. My Ruger Mark III has been flawless and eats ANY type of ammo I feed it including Remington US Army Bulk surplus training ammo. (At $13.99 a brick you can't expect much but the Ruger likes it!!)

Same here - after maybe a couple thousand rounds I haven't had a failure of any kind with my Mark III

Also flawless has been my sig 229

M&P 9. I've put thousands of rounds through it, from expensive "carry ammo" to cheap steel cased. I even put over 2000 rounds of white box through it between cleanings with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom