• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flashback: Man Steals Plane And Strafes Boston With An AK

Hetzer

NES Member
Who remembers Alfred J Hunter, who in May 1989 killed his wife (see why below), stole a Cessna and flew over Boston, and under the Tobin bridge, for hours, shooting his AK out the window at Kenmore Square, Newbury st, the Logan tower, The Prudential building, and the South Boston postal facility where he used to work? It was reported as an AK but who knows.

This story is nearly lost to history, showing the contrast between then and todays media driven hysteria.

Yankee Magazine had a detailed article about it but all that's left is the almost comical artists rendering from the inside of the magazine:

Here's a Dan Rather news report video, with the second half being amateur footage showing the plane making runs on what I believe is the postal facility at Fort Point Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQyiqg0qwY

Here's a New York Times link and the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/11/us/pilot-buzzes-boston-airport-shooting-up-the-city.html

Pilot Buzzes Boston Airport, Shooting Up the City
AP
Published: May 11, 1989

A man who the police said had just killed his ex-wife commandeered a small plane and terrorized the city for three hours early today, firing a semiautomatic weapon while flying within 50 feet of motorists and buildings.

Traffic controllers at Logan International Airport said the plane buzzed them repeatedly, forcing officials to close the airport for an hour and reroute several late-night flights. Controllers fled the tower twice.

Bullets struck a variety of targets, including parked cars and the Prudential tower's 50th-floor skywalk. One pedestrian was struck by ejected casings from the spent rounds.

''We didn't know if he was on drugs, drunk, or if he was suicidal,'' said Phil Orlandella, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates the airport. ''We had not one word of radio contact throughout the flight.'' Pilot Held Without Bail

The pilot, Alfred J. Hunter, pleaded not guilty today to one count each of murder and armed robbery after the midnight flight. Judge John T. Doyle of Essex County District Court ordered Mr. Hunter held without bail at Bridgewater State Hospital for 20 days of psychiatric observation.

Earlier Tuesday, Mr. Hunter, a 42-year-old mail handler, was placed on a year's probation after being found guilty of assaulting his former wife, Elvira, 26, last December. The assault occurred after he ordered her not to change a television channel.

Mr. Hunter was convicted of assault and battery, making threats and violating a restraining order his wife sought in January 1988. The couple were divorced last May.

Mr. Hunter's only previous conviction stemmed from a 1979 incident in which he pleaded guilty of assaulting a group of people with a machete. He was sentenced to a year's probation.

The police said they believe Mr. Hunter went to his former wife's home and shot her in front of their 5-year-old son before starting his aerial attack. Flight Instructor 'in Shock'

Mr. Hunter then commandeered a car, and demanded and got a plane at a small municipal airport straddling the Beverly-Danvers border about 20 miles north of Boston.

Robert Golder, a 21-year-old flight instructor, said he was ''basically in shock'' when Mr. Hunter demanded the plane. ''He wanted me to start the airplane for him. He told me not to do anything stupid. He said he had just killed some people.''

Mr. Hunter made no comments when he was captured after landing at Logan early today, the police said.

Richard Fontz, the Federal Aviation Administration's field manager, said Mr. Hunter was not a licensed pilot but had apparently had some instruction. ''It obviously wasn't the first time he flew an airplane,'' Mr. Fontz said.

The flight began about 10:30 P.M. on Tuesday, and in the next three hours ambulance services tried to anticipate where the pilot might land so they could prepare for possible injuries. Two Cars Hit in Lynn

The police in Boston received more than 200 calls from people reporting the sound of gunfire. In Lynn, a suburb of Boston, the police said two cars were hit by a shower of shots believed fired from the plane.

Mr. Hunter's flight also took him over Boston's Kenmore Square neighborhood, where the Boston Red Sox had just finished losing a baseball game at Fenway Park to the Minnesota Twins.

Andrew Smith said he was walking along Newbury Street in the city's Back Bay section when he heard popping noises from the sky.

''About two seconds later, several shell casings landed all around. I realized that the guy was shooting out of his plane,'' said Mr. Smith, who notified the police. ''Nobody believed me at first. I didn't believe it at first.'' Fear of Endangering Public

Barbara Bennett, a state trooper, said officials decided to wait until the gunman ran out of fuel rather than send up a state police helicopter. If the plane had been shot at, she said, it could have endangered the public.

''We have a very thick handbook on the rules of air traffic control, but there's nothing in there about what to do if a maniac comes shooting an AK-47 at you in the control tower,'' said John Leyden, an F.A.A. spokesman.

Mr. Hunter landed briefly at Logan at 12:57 A.M. but took off again. He landed again 17 minutes later and was captured after a minor scuffle, the police said.

Two shell casings and two live shells were found in the two-seater Cessna, which had about five minutes of fuel left when it landed. The police found no weapon and said it was probably discarded in the flight. They also said there was no way to tell how many shots were fired.

Alfred J. Hunter in custody at the state police barracks in Peabody after he was arrested early yesterday morning at Logan Airport in Boston after commandeering a small plane and firing a semiautomatic weapon during a flight over Boston (Associated Press); map of Boston

Mr. Hunter's only previous conviction stemmed from a 1979 incident in which he pleaded guilty of assaulting a group of people with a machete. He was sentenced to a year's probation.

Sounds like a real stand-up guy. Also, who attacks people with a ****ing machete and only gets a year probation?? Only in MA.

Odd. I would have been at school in Worcester at the time, and do not remember this.

It's kind of crazy how it's gone from peoples heads, so I figured I'd post it. Even my friends who were in their 20's at the time, that I joked with about him strafing "yuppies" on Newbury st, don't remember it.

The man should've been sentenced to life in solitary confinement for having this much fun!

I remember this distinctly. I was working and our station was near South Boston postal annex. The plane looped around our area when it made its postal "runs". I recall one of our guys asking the supervisor if we could shoot at the plane (with our .38 revolvers!) - of course, the answer was "no".

Last edited:
I don't recall this at all. Of course back then the USPS wasn't losing billion$ and had some clout with the media.
Also, later that year was the Stewart murder and that was national news 24/7.

I was just graduating high school, so I don't remember it either. I'm sure I heard about it since I grew up in Beverly, but I can't remember it just like so many other news stories.

I hope the five year old boy grew up ok.

'89, a good year! I remember this one- just imagine the fear (and loss of Rights) of a police/military response if someone did that today!

'89, a good year! I remember this one- just imagine the fear (and loss of Rights) of a police/military response if someone did that today!
To start, they would:

• immediately declare martial law in Boston
  • T would shut down
  • logan would be closed
  • tall buildings would evacuate
  • the entire airspace of new england would be closed
  • the air force would scramble a half dozen planes
  • swat teams would get so horny they'd go straight to pet stores and kennels

then....

WAAAYYYY MOOAAARRRR gun laws!

Odd. I would have been at school in Worcester at the time, and do not remember this.

Same here. Not worcester. But that would have been the end of my freshman year. I have never hear of this before. Coming from a PD family you would think it would be the type of thing to come up at the dinner table or something.

The article said they never found the gun. I wonder where it went, or if anyone ever found it.

-Mike

The article said they never found the gun. I wonder where it went, or if anyone ever found it.

-Mike

If I remember right, the Yankee Magazine article had mentioned that he threw the AK and the remaining ammunition out over the Harbor before landing at Logan.

I vaguely remember it. In the news clip, as he is being led into the courthouse, is that Whitey Bulger on the right wearing sunglasses?

What's his NES handle?
I was wondering what held up his promising career in MA politics after the machete attack? [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

-Mike
Truth is stranger than fiction, but an inexperienced pilot buzzing boston while shooting out the window is even stranger than that...

Back
Top Bottom