Fla. Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Fiancee Day Before Wedding

Reptile

NES Member
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,563480,00.html?test=latestnews

Fla. Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Fiancee Day Before Wedding

Saturday, October 10, 2009
PrintShareThis
WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. — Police say a Florida man who thought there was an intruder in his house shot and killed his fiancee the day before they were to get married.

Winter Springs Police Chief Kevin Brunelle says the shooting appears to be a "tragic accident," but investigators were waiting for forensic results.

Sixty-two-year-old John Tabutt told investigators he thought he heard an intruder early Friday morning, got his gun and fired at a figure in the dark hallway.

He struck his live-in fiancee, 62-year-old Nancy Dinsmore. Family members say the couple planned to get married Saturday in a small ceremony.

Tabutt said he thought she was next to him in bed the whole night. He has not been charged.

Winter Springs is about 15 miles northeast of Orlando.

------------

This is such a tragedy.

Know you target and beyond.

Hindsight is always 20/20, though.

I guess the moral of the story is to WAKE UP after you wake up so as not to act while you are in a groggy state of mind.

That and account for you family members before you shoot into the dark.

I'm beginning to think that the antis have some kind of MKULTRA type mind control program and they're brainwashing gun owners into doing stupid crap like
this. [sad2]

-Mike

I'm beginning to think that the antis have some kind of MKULTRA type mind control program and they're brainwashing gun owners into doing stupid crap like
this. [sad2]

-Mike

I don't know about that, but what they are doing successfully is getting to people to look at any one incident as reason enough for more laws. We have the harder sell, whenever there is freedom there is room to abuse that freedom, make a mistake etc. We have to promote the idea that freedom and rights are worth the price.

We also have to keep trying to cull our own heard in a way. Teaching, training and preventing the utter idiocy of the situation in the OP as much as possible without making any useless laws.

this. [sad2]

-Mike

No, I think the media is cranking up their reporting of accidents and such to gin up anti sentiment. After all, they can see the poll numbers that show more people are against gun control now. Our betters can't have that.

what they are doing successfully is getting to people to look at any one incident as reason enough for more laws.

While that may be so in gun-hating southern New England, I can tell you that such is not the case elsewhere.

Stuff like that literally disappears from the public consciousness within a day where I live.

No, I think the media is cranking up their reporting of accidents and such to gin up anti sentiment. After all, they can see the poll numbers that show more people are against gun control now. Our betters can't have that.

This.

News also focuses on the negative, the tragic far more than the positive and heroic. Articles about someone using a gun lawfully to defend themselves usually don't even make a splash on any news source and articles about firearms used peaceably are only created when someone's complaining about range noise... and typically portrayed in such a way as to imply that even healthy safe range time is evil.

While that may be so in gun-hating southern New England, I can tell you that such is not the case elsewhere.

Stuff like that literally disappears from the public consciousness within a day where I live.

Maybe. I've seen CNN and similar wacko networks beat these things to death though.

this. [sad2]

-Mike

I'm almost wondering if there's just a push to run more of the stories. With health-care on the ropes and the public option all but dead, I wonder if Barry's going to try something else to appease his far left supporters [sad2]

Lately, it seems I am hearing more about incidents in the south than relatives I have who live there - sometimes nearby the actual incident...

Definitely media focusing in... Seems to be having the opposite of the desired effect based on the polls though - people are getting more comfortable with 2A and CCW rather than less...

I can buy into the idea that leftist news producers are upset with the current wide spread support and excercise of the second anmendment rights and are ginning up opposition by hyping every careless accident and terrible tragedy they can find.
They are aware of the on going sales surge of weapons and the public opposition to gun laws. They worked hard for decades to get America opposed to guns and now they see all that work coming undone.
They need too push back.

Know your target.
I just completed NRA Personal Protection in the Home today. That was emphasized (as well as using this story as an example of target ID).

Apparently, the fiancee was my dads cousin. We just got the call today. I never knew anyone on my dads side (he was an only child whose relatives lived in Maine and elsewhere).

This doesn't hit me personally since I never even knew the woman. My dad didn't know her very well either. He was never very close to his relatives.

What does hit home is TARGET IDENTIFICATION, and verbal challenges. As well as having a high intensity flashlight next to your gun (I need to get me one of those lights...).

So have I. But their impact on society is zero in the places where I have lived.

as an example though, keep in mind which douche-bags voted in Obama. All the jerks that live around me. They are IMO, a very effective slight minority.

I can't help but wonder about what is happening to the MSM. Their ratings/circulation is dropping like a rock. I think people see that their coverage of anything and everything is so slanted(or worse) that anyone that isn't completely brainwashed by the left is seeing it and isn't responding to it. I think everyday more and more people are realizing that the MSM is trying to manipulate them. And they are rejecting it. The internet dealt more than one blow to the MSM. People can get news faster on the internet, that's obvious. But they can also find out for themselves when the MSM is not covering something honestly.

This is exactly why there is a flashlight and a back up flashlight on each side of the bed, right next to the guns on the night stand. The night stand is positioned so you to swing your legs over the side of the bed to be able to reach the gun and light. Allowing you time to wake up and Identify your target... Training and practice is what drove this homeward... Once the Newborn is able to walk and reach, this strategy will change slightly....

Isnt this the third or fourth Gun Related Incident in Florida in the last year?

What the hell is going on down there?

Isnt this the third or fourth Gun Related Incident in Florida in the last year?

What the hell is going on down there?
a. a lot of new shooters
b. media scouring the landscape for anything gun related making it appear as if "everyone"TM is shooting themselves and their neighbors daily...

nothing to see here - move along...

When I came home with my handgun it was also accompanied by trip to Dick's for an $80 digital safe. I took a friends advice and threw a maglite I had kicking around in there....for just this reason......

I've contemplated the procedure in the event of needing the gun in the middle of the night....probably need to rethink this and a dry run [unloaded] every now and again wouldn't hurt.....

Fiancee Killed in Florida From Maine, Went to PHS, Says Daughter

The woman who police say was accidentally shot and killed by her fiance in Florida the day before their wedding was from Maine, according to the victim's daughter.

John Tabutt, 62, was heard in media reports making a frantic 911 call early Friday from Winter Springs, Florida, saying he thought his wife was an intruder and that he shot her "right in the chest." For now, police are calling the incident an accident, but are said to be waiting for forensic evidence.

The victim, 62-year-old Nancy Dinsmore, is from Maine, according to her daughter Arlene Dinsmore, who lives in Portland and spoke with News 13 Monday by phone.

She says her mother was born in New Jersey, moved to Maine when she was young and went to Portland High School. Dinsmore also told News 13 that her mother owns a home in the Lakes region and that her second home was in Florida where she moved with her daughters in the 80's along with her late husband who died in 2006.

Arlene Dinsmore says her mother will be buried in Maine, alongside her former husband.

During the 911 calls, Tabutt said he and Dinsmore were supposed to get married the following Saturday, October 10.

I'd like to add some info I have gotten from the family of the fiancee (she was my dad's cousin). Apparently, the fiancee's bank account was cleaned out shortly before she was shot and killed. I know it is second hand information so it can be taken with a grain of salt. I still think there is more to this story than "faulty target acquisition." My dad will be going up to Maine on Monday for the funeral so he may get more info then.

A good tactical weaponlight or safer yet handheld light would have yielded different results.
Bottom line is the guy is guilty of at least negligent homicide and after phoning the police to explain his mistake he should have turned the gun on himself. NO EXCUSE, PERIOD!

Back
Top Bottom