Fixed front site vs Flip Up

Looking for more input on my first AR, just like the title says I want to know which you guys prefer, fixed or flip up front site

Both have their place, and it depends on how the gun is set up. On my long railed gun with 1-4x scope I use MBUS PRO's, but on my other 2 guns have standard front sight/gas blocks using the Magpul MOE SL hand guards. Different guns for different purposes.

Both have their place, and it depends on how the gun is set up. On my long railed gun with 1-4x scope I use MBUS PRO's, but on my other 2 guns have standard front sight/gas blocks using the Magpul MOE SL hand guards. Different guns for different purposes.
Judging from your input in the gear thread I assume you like to run your guns pretty hard? How is the durability with the front flip up sites? They lose zero from getting banged around ect?

I like to look like I run guns. [wink]

I loctited the screws, zeroed them, then folded them down, I have an expensive scope on that gun for a reason. If I am looking to work for my hits, I will use my irons only light weight carbine.

I will say if I were going to use flip up BUIS as my main aiming device, I would probably not chose the Magpul PRO's because they don't latch in place when up. It would make for a bad day if you went to sight your rifle in on something because you needed to and the front sight folded down because of a snag as you lifted your rifle up. However, they are awesome as back ups because they are so low profile.

Here are my 3 go to guns. The 2 with FSB's now have MOE SL hand guards now.

Attachments

• 20150626_173523.jpg
    20150626_173523.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150531_142322.jpg
    20150531_142322.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150517_171940.jpg
    20150517_171940.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 65
I have ARs with both set ups. What you chose will also depend on the optics you want to use. No optics go with the A2. Low profile optics go with the flip ups and higher profile optics go with an A2. For my AR with the A2 I have an Aimpoint M2 on a Larue Lower 1/3 Co-witness mount. Works great, plus I have the options of flipping up the rear site in case the Aimpoint fails. I'm running a Trijicon on my other AR, so low profile front and rear sites are a great option for this setup.

b9db043b-c180-4da0-a712-61db2c715508_zpsywnjulw9.jpg

ARMS makes a great front sight. It is a gas block with a folding front sight that looks just like the stock AR when in the up position. $125 is a lot of money but you do get the gas block too.

I like the older Midwest industries flip sights.
As long as you snug any screws to the proper torgue your front sight should not loose zero.
I also had YHM flip up A2 gas block sight. It was pretty darn nice. Came on a upper I bought. I went through several stages of ARs over the past 10 years.
I had 11 at one time. All different variants and set ups.
I came to the conclusion My SHTF AR is a carbine with fixed A2 front and rear.
My target gun for irons is a fixed A2
My scoped AR had no provisions for iron sights.

Back
Top Bottom