First year Deer hunting( or hunting at all for that matter...)

Hi there,

I plan on making the drive from Southern NH to Northern NH because I hear it's less crowded and has more bucks. I can't however go opening weekend.... Is that going to affect my chances on bagging a buck greatly, or are my chances still looking okay if I go say the 21st?

I've put a lot of time, effort, money, shooting, and studying in for this and Rifle season is upon us in a few short days! I really want to make sure I'm able to get myself a nice buck this year for the family. Lastly, does anyone know any good butchers in the Exeter, NH area? Preferably one that does it for free, but takes a portion, and donates that portion to hungry families. I heard there was a butcher in the area that does that.

One more thing... Any tips for a new hunter? I'm open to any constructive criticism or advise. Thanks all!

Hi there,

I plan on making the drive from Southern NH to Northern NH because I hear it's less crowded and has more bucks. I can't however go opening weekend.... Is that going to affect my chances on bagging a buck greatly, or are my chances still looking okay if I go say the 21st?

I've put a lot of time, effort, money, shooting, and studying in for this and Rifle season is upon us in a few short days! I really want to make sure I'm able to get myself a nice buck this year for the family. Lastly, does anyone know any good butchers in the Exeter, NH area? Preferably one that does it for free, but takes a portion, and donates that portion to hungry families. I heard there was a butcher in the area that does that.

One more thing... Any tips for a new hunter? I'm open to any constructive criticism or advise. Thanks all!

You need a reality check.

Could you elaborate? That's really not helpful.

We all have to start somewhere, and this is my first season. I'm just trying to do the best I can.

Yes. I'll give you advice. Enjoy your time in the woods. Listen and learn as much as you can. Don't worry about lining up the butcher it's not like going to star market.

Don't be surprised if you don't connect your first time or year.. Big bucks are big for good reason. This year as are all years should be a learning experience. I don't know if you plan on driving to a random place and just sitting on a stump after a blind dark walk through the woods.. But if that works let me know, maybe I'm doing good it wrong

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Appreciate it guys. Just looking for help, not sure how I stirred the pot. Figured for a new guy in New England, this forum would be a good place to start.

Appreciate it guys. Just looking for help, not sure how I stirred the pot. Figured for a new guy in New England, this forum would be a good place to start.

Not trying to be mean at all. Some of us have 5-10 seasons without a deer. Saying "Hey going out for first time. Where do I find a butcher?". The truth is, you will get your reality check. You should feel grateful if you see a deer, and feel like you hit the lottery if you see a deer before it see's you.

Not trying to be mean at all. Some of us have 5-10 seasons without a deer. Saying "Hey going out for first time. Where do I find a butcher?". The truth is, you will get your reality check. You should feel grateful if you see a deer, and feel like you hit the lottery if you see a deer before it see's you.

I see what you were saying now.

Well I tend to try to cement these positive ideas in the universe. So I'm hoping I get to go out there, and grab me a buck. Either way, it'll be nice to camp out a night and enjoy nature. I should have worded it "If I'm lucky enough to get a deer, can anyone recommend butchers?".

For my other question, will going the 21st hurt my chances since I'm not going opening day? Or possibly improve them since there will potentially be less hunters out there?

I see what you were saying now.

Well I tend to try to cement these positive ideas in the universe. So I'm hoping I get to go out there, and grab me a buck. Either way, it'll be nice to camp out a night and enjoy nature. I should have worded it "If I'm lucky enough to get a deer, can anyone recommend butchers?".

For my other question, will going the 21st hurt my chances since I'm not going opening day? Or possibly improve them since there will potentially be less hunters out there?

I wouldn't be upset about missing opening day but you should've been scouting an area 6 months ago. heading out into the woods in an area you don't know, and haven't scouted for deer is going to greatly reduce your chances of harvesting a buck. It's called hunting for a reason. if you just want to walk out to a field an shoot an animal there are guides who arrange that for you, but that's called shooting, not hunting.

And the only butchers I know who do a deer for free are the hunters who harvested them.

I wouldn't be upset about missing opening day but you should've been scouting an area 6 months ago. heading out into the woods in an area you don't know, and haven't scouted for deer is going to greatly reduce your chances of harvesting a buck. It's called hunting for a reason. if you just want to walk out to a field an shoot an animal there are guides who arrange that for you, but that's called shooting, not hunting.

And the only butchers I know who do a deer for free are the hunters who harvested them.

Thanks for the reply

I'm pretty familiar with the area in which I'll be going to, and I've got a route planned out on a topographical map. I'm not going for the sake of just shooting an animal for food, I'm going for the whole experience.

With regards to the butcher, during my hunter's safety course I heard an instructor talking about how some butchers do it for a portion of the meat, and donate the meat to a local food bank. I'm not looking for a handout, just was hoping I could do some good with my harvest. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment.

I wouldn't be upset about missing opening day but you should've been scouting an area 6 months ago....... heading out into the woods in an area you don't know, and haven't scouted for deer is going to greatly reduce your chances of harvesting a buck. It's called hunting for a reason. if you just want to walk out to a field an shoot an animal there are guides who arrange that for you, but that's called shooting, not hunting.

That says it all... If you know the land well that will help keep you from getting lost. But knowing the land and trail system doesn't help you find deer. Read Peter Fiduccia's book and hit the hunting beast for some knowledge on that. Remember "hunting" starts the day the season ends... It's shooting starts the day the season opens.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but you've got a LOT to learn. I was there once myself - about 3 years ago. If I can do it then so can anyone else. But it's going to require a much larger investment of time and effort then just hitting the woods for a couple days with a gun. Good luck though. Enjoy the time in the woods.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

I'm pretty familiar with the area in which I'll be going to, and I've got a route planned out on a topographical map. I'm not going for the sake of just shooting an animal for food, I'm going for the whole experience.

With regards to the butcher, during my hunter's safety course I heard an instructor talking about how some butchers do it for a portion of the meat, and donate the meat to a local food bank. I'm not looking for a handout, just was hoping I could do some good with my harvest. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment.

few tips not going on opening day. the deer will be most likely on edge from shots being fired around them. this means two things to you. huge imperative to be aware of your scent control (includes not hiking too fast and sweating, and playing the wind) and movement/noise needs to be reigned in. if you are planning on camping anyways, then dont be afraid to hike hike hike (keeping scent control in mind). you'll need to go farther than most people would care too (ie fat ole guys that walk 10mins to an apple tree that everyone else visits and don't see a deer). if its easy for you to get to, its easy for someone to have gone too between opening day and when you go.

and regardless of the laws, orange during gun season. unless you want to be a statistic

Plan on staying in the woods all day. Let the guys going in and out for lunch chase a deer to you.
Sit, look and listen. When you move, move real slow....
Enjoy your time in the woods and I look forward to seeing the photos of your big buck...[grin]

Thanks for the reply

So does the rest of the orange army.

Make sure that you have several alternate places to hunt. That way when you are going in while it is still dark and someone is in "your spot" you will have other options.

Bob

Good luck in your first season. I am the type that likes to plan ahead even if the chances are remote. So yes, having a butcher lined up to me is a good thing for you to do. That said, I think your expectations are set a tad high for this year. Laying eyes on any deer can prove to be a challenge in your first year unless you have a great area, you have done your scouting homework or just get nice and lucky. Setting expectations of bring home a nice buck on your first trip out is...... well, you'll see :)

Southern NH has more deer and more hunters and a higher success rate. Northern big woods do have big deer but there are less of them and harder to hunt.

Some basic advice. Find some place nice to sit and sit quietly and still, especially for the first 2 hours and last 2 hours of shooting light. Find thick cover and swamps, hunt close by. The wind is critical. If the wind isn't right and the deer smell you the gig is up and you won't even see them, they will just move out ahead and away from you. You won't fool their nose!!! Deer see movement extremely well but if you are still they can walk right by you at pretty close range. When walking walk slow. Stop often, scan the woods. A deer that sees you will often just stand still and let you walk right on by and then slip out. They'll bolt when you spot them and they know you've spotted them. Sometimes when you bump a deer they will run only a short distance and stop and look back, especially if they didn't see you but just heard you coming. Be ready for that opportunity when they stop to see what you are, doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be ready for it.

Good luck in your first season!

No rifle in ma.and I think shotgun opens 11/30. Please correct me if I'm read it wrong
sorry read it wrong had a few to many

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've been hunting for 20 years, some years more time in the woods than others but I've been out every year during that time. I shot my first deer when I was 12, I shot my second deer 14 years later.

You might find there is less hunting pressure in northern NH but there are fewer deer. The further north you go there are typically less deer but they are larger. Unless you are specifically hunting for a trophy and not worried about meat, I would take the first buck you see. In 20 years I've taken 2 nice bucks, 1 was a small 8 point, he had a nice little rack, the other was a near 200 lbs 10 point. It is very rare when hunting public land during rifle season to be able to connect with a large buck, it can happen but it's not frequent.

Don't be cheap on the butcher, this is someone handling the food you are going to eat. It should only cost $70-$100 for decent processing and you want it done right. I wouldn't trust anyone that is doing it for free and keeping a portion.

When walking/hunting, spend more time looking for parts of deer than worrying about stepping on twigs.
Bucks are arrogant pricks who think they are invisible. No matter how quiet you are, they know you are there. Your job is to see them before they finally bolt.

When walking/hunting, spend more time looking for parts of deer than worrying about stepping on twigs.
Bucks are arrogant pricks who think they are invisible. No matter how quiet you are, they know you are there. Your job is to see them before they finally bolt.

I've only had success at this once and it was in thick cover. It's damn hard to sneak up on a deer, they spend their whole life learning to detect and avoid us, most of us only spend a handful of days a year trying to find them.

Jumping deer is easy, shooting them before they jump is hard.

Hi there,

If you are going to be on public land. Try to find an area that only you can figured out how to access. Use Google Earth. Perhaps try parking on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere. If you go into an area where there's a lot of hunter. You might find a group of 8 of them walking by your stand trying to push the deer toward their buddy. Making for frustrating hunt.

If don't already own a trail cam. Go out and get one to help you figure out at what times the deer are passing your stand. Most importantly play the wind. Download one of the hunting apps that shows you the wind direction from your stand. If you think / know the deer are coming from down wind. Go somewhere else. In order to get the buck to stop. Make a mock scrape in your shooting lane with the right scent for the rut.

Dress right for the weather. You may have never get cold shoveling snow or sitting in the stands at a Pats game when it was zero below. Sitting around in a tree with a continuous cold wind can takes it's toll. Spend some money on good cold weather gear. Literally it can cost you more than your firearm for cold weather gear. You will be that much more comfortable when the temps drop.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I won't be in a tree stand, I was planning on still hunting or finding a decent prone position on the ground... Are tree stands the way to go, or can I still be effective this way?

Southern NH is tough for me, because I'll be rifle hunting with a .308. I don't own a shotgun, so I'm limited in areas I can go. Many people have told me up north near the maine/Canada border is a good place to hunt. Is this true?

Southern NH is tough for me, because I'll be rifle hunting with a .308.

very limited.

Towns With Special Rules
Deer hunting is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum, or bow and arrow or crossbow in the following towns: (pistols permitted under this section shall be loaded with no more than five rounds of ammunition at any time).

Belknap: Laconia; Meredith Neck: the part from the Meredith-Center Harbor line to Pleasant Street south and east of Route 25.

Hillsborough: Amherst; Bedford; Brookline; Goffstown; Hollis; Hudson; Litchfield; Manchester; Merrimack; Milford; Nashua; Pelham.

Merrimack: Concord; Hooksett: that part lying from the town line of Allenstown, on the westerly side of Route 3, to a point where the old Portsmouth Railroad crosses the highway, then south of the railroad to the town line of Candia; Pembroke: that part lying south westerly of the following line: starting at the Concord town line at Red Bridge on Rte. 106, south to Burrough (Borough) Road, then easterly on Burrough (Borough) Road to Fourth Range Road, then southerly on Fourth Range Road to Dudley Hill Road, south on Dudley Hill Road to Buck Street, northeast on Buck Street to Route 28, south on Route 28 to the Allenstown town line. (See Bow, below).

Rockingham: Atkinson; Auburn*; Brentwood; Chester*; Danville; Derry; East Kingston; Exeter; Fremont; Greenland*; Hampstead; Hampton; Hampton Falls; Kensington; Kingston; Londonderry; New Castle; Newfields; Newington*; Newmarket; Newton; North Hampton; Plaistow; Portsmouth*; Rye; Salem; Sandown; Seabrook; South Hampton; Stratham*; Windham.

Strafford: Durham; Madbury; Lee; Dover; Rollinsford; Somersworth.

* Buckshot prohibited for taking deer in these towns (RSA 208:3-a,b,c).

2LsVYiU.jpg

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I won't be in a tree stand, I was planning on still hunting or finding a decent prone position on the ground... Are tree stands the way to go, or can I still be effective this way?

Southern NH is tough for me, because I'll be rifle hunting with a .308. I don't own a shotgun, so I'm limited in areas I can go. Many people have told me up north near the maine/Canada border is a good place to hunt. Is this true?

Prone on the ground is bad, get a small stool or even just a closed cell foam cushion and sit on stumps. If you aren't one for sitting still for hours and hours a cushion + stump is probably the way to go.

Tree stands are find if you have scouted out the perfect spot, if you're just winging it you'll want to be on the ground.

Hi there,

Dude,I love your optimism! I hope you have as successful hunt! Let us know how it goes....

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Dude,I love your optimism! I hope you have as successful hunt! Let us know how it goes....

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Appreciate the kind words! I'm very excited to get involved in the great outdoors, and to get my first buck! If I manage to get one, I'll certainly be posting pictures. I haven't been as excited for something, as I am for the hunt in the upcoming two weeks, in a VERY long time. I'm going all in on this.

Back
Top Bottom