First year Deer hunting( or hunting at all for that matter...)

The only absolute rule I know about deer hunting is: the more you read about what not to do, the less apt you are to shoot one.
What do I mean by that? If you aren't in the woods because the wind isn't right, there are too many other hunters, the rut hasn't started yet, etc., etc., then you definitely won't shoot a deer.
Get out every spare moment you have. Shit luck can sometimes be more beneficial than skill.

Here is a 1000% surefire way to find and see deer: Go turkey hunting

For $5 i have a great tip on finding and seeing turkey...let me know if youre interested.

Prone on the ground is bad, get a small stool or even just a closed cell foam cushion and sit on stumps. If you aren't one for sitting still for hours and hours a cushion + stump is probably the way to go.

Tree stands are find if you have scouted out the perfect spot, if you're just winging it you'll want to be on the ground.

This.

The ground will suck your body heat right out of you and you will freeze your a$$ off.

Bob

The only absolute rule I know about deer hunting is: the more you read about what not to do, the less apt you are to shoot one.
What do I mean by that? If you aren't in the woods because the wind isn't right, there are too many other hunters, the rut hasn't started yet, etc., etc., then you definitely won't shoot a deer.
Get out every spare moment you have. Shit luck can sometimes be more beneficial than skill.

That's how I shot my 10 pointer, I was 3 days late getting to Maine to hunt due to a family emergency. First morning out I was sitting in a spot I like the dumb bastard crossed the tote road at 7:30am. My mind wasn't really in hunting mode yet, I hadn't scouted at all it was just a standard go-to spot I use each year and there he was 150 yards away.

Other times I've scouted spots and got trail cam pics just to get skunked...

- - - Updated - - -

Are ground blinds useful, since I won't be in a tree stand?

They can be, depends on how open the area is and how good you are at moving when they are behind trees. A blind (either a pop-up or sticks/branches) will conceal movement to a degree but will also block visibility. If you find a spot you would like to hunt multiple days you can build a little blind out of some downed limbs to give you some cover. I usually don't bother too much as I walk quite a bit.

The most productive method for me is completely mobile. Stand and 4 sticks on my back, bow in my hand. I hunt pre scouted spots in the AM and then get down at lunch time. I eat in the woods right at the base of the tree. Then the stand and sticks are back on my back and I'm scouting / still hunting looking for hot sign. When I find it I quietly setup over it for the PM hunt. I never back track. I either set up or move on. I try to do fresh sits on every hunt but sometimes I'll be back in the same spot after it's cooled down.

I've seen more deer doing this. Especially in the evening. But this tactic will usually get you close to bedding so you have to be vewwy vewwy quiet...

Pat's right in that you can't shoot deer from the couch. But you should let the conditions dictate what opportunities you try to take advantage of.. Example: warm weather like we've been having. Cruising bucks are going to want a drink every now and then. So setup near a water source. Look for hills where the leeward side of the hill is in the shade. That sort of stuff.

Last edited:
The 21st should be a great time int the woods. Confidence is sometimes good in hunting. I go out thinking and expecting that I'm going to see deer.

One year I was having a real hard time shooting a deer here in Massachusetts I just was not seeing deer, and had no shots. I went up near Plymouth NH to a woods I wasn't real familiar with to hunt. I got there late walked into the woods and was sitting on a log at dead noon on a warm day. Wasn't feeling real good about the set. Out rolls a buck and bang.

You never know when your going to connect so always be prepared. You should line up a butcher, but expect to pay. You need to be ready and available to deal with a deer every time you hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 21st should be a great time int the woods. Confidence is sometimes good in hunting. I go out thinking and expecting that I'm going to see deer.

One year I was having a real hard time shooting a deer here in Massachusetts I just was not seeing deer, and had no shots. I went up near Plymouth NH to a woods I wasn't real familiar with to hunt. I got there late walked into the woods and was sitting on a log at dead noon on a warm day. Wasn't feeling real good about the set. Out rolls a buck and bang.

You never know when your going to connect so always be prepared. You should line up a butcher, but expect to pay. You need to be ready and available to deal with a deer every time you hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appreciate the kind words! If I'm fortunate enough to see a deer, I'll be super excited to share some photos!

Anyone here have any experience deer hunting in northern NH? I like the area I'll be going, but didn't know if people could also recommend some good places to go to near the Canadian border. Thanks!

You can youtube instructions on how to gut a deer. You can also youtube instructions on how to butcher your deer. It's a good idea to gut, skin and hang your deer asap, and let hang at least a few days, in a place where it won't get rained on. Much more satisfying butchering your own deer than paying someone else to do it. IMHO.

1) Be in the woods.
2) Scout. Always be Scouting. Even a skunked day can teach you a lot.
3) Tree stand solo is by far the most effective way to kill a deer. Bow or gun. Stalking, still hunting, by far less effective. But it's ok, some of us a twitches, and can't sit still. I have days like that.
4) For gun season, you should attempt to find 2 or more buddies who also want to gun hunt with you. Push the deer. This is more social, more fun, and you got extra sets of hands to drag the deer out.
5) Have fun. Enjoy nature, enjoy the crisp air, enjoy the sun rising and enjoy a sunset. Enjoy listening to the forest wake up in the morning, and listen to it go to bed in the evening. The dead deer is just a by product of this enjoyment.

Last year, I spent over 30 days in the woods through bow and gun season here in MA. Only got 2 deer. But that's 2 more deer than 80% of hunters. So, time in the woods is first, experience is second. As my Grandfather used to say, it's better to be lucky than good. Luck does play a part in it. It's called hunting for a reason. Not shooting.

And as the Pareto Principal shows time and time again, in business and in life, 80% of the hunters will only shoot 20% of the deer. 20% of the hunters shoot 80% of the deer. Talk to experienced guys who have been shooting deer consistently for years and listen to them. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

But mostly, have fun! There was a thread on her last year about a guy who got so frustrated that he unloaded his gun by shooting a tree. If you find yourself that frustrated, please leave the woods. You're doing nobody any good, including yourself.

And Good Luck! And keep that positive mindset you have now!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I won't be in a tree stand, I was planning on still hunting or finding a decent prone position on the ground... Are tree stands the way to go, or can I still be effective this way?

Southern NH is tough for me, because I'll be rifle hunting with a .308. I don't own a shotgun, so I'm limited in areas I can go. Many people have told me up north near the maine/Canada border is a good place to hunt. Is this true?

My 2nd deer as a youngster was taken with a 30-06 in southern nh. Outside of zone m. As said before me, get ready for it to be difficult. Thinking positive is great, but it's not easy. I wish you luck. If you're lucky enough to bag one, post some pics. Good luck

My 2nd deer as a youngster was taken with a 30-06 in southern nh. Outside of zone m. As said before me, get ready for it to be difficult. Thinking positive is great, but it's not easy. I wish you luck. If you're lucky enough to bag one, post some pics. Good luck

Thanks much! My trip is Saturday, I'm VERY excited. Anyone who wants to send some good thoughts my way, that'd be great! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom