• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First time out

Got out to the club for the first time shooting by myself I am total novice at shooting. I have a Mark III and a S&W MP .40. I shot about 10 rounds of the .40 and hit paper with only about half of them. I think it was being a bit nervous and being alone for the first time at the range. I switched over to the Mark III which was the first time I have shot it or any .22 handgun and boy it was a good purchase in my opinion. I was able to forget about the kick and concentrate on the front sight and smooth trigger pull. I shot about 100 rounds out of the Mark III and switch back to the .40 for 15 more shots and I was amazed that 13 were on paper and they were actually somewhat grouped. I had so much fun I was giggling like a little kid. Can't wait to get back there again and put some holes in some paper. Any beginner advice is appreciated.

Beginner advice, there is so much, but two simple pieces that helped me.

1. Time your breathing. Take a few breaths, get on target and as you finish exhaling, squeeze the trigger.

2. Don't take the shot unless you know its a bullseye.

I know that sounds simplistic, but you'd be amazed how many times you'll squeeze the trigger "hoping" it goes where you want it. If the shot doesn't look right, take a break, and lower the gun. Sometimes I will line up a shot and bring it back down several times until it feels right.
Eventually you'll start to develop hand control where you will use the different muscles in your hand to control the gun. You'll be pushing and pulling the gun a lot until you develop this.
The most important thing to learn is habitual safety. Keep the muzzle pointing downrange, finger off the trigger until you are on target, clear your gun and re-check it before you put it away, and be mindful of what is going on around you at the range.

The one thing I really need to do is to relax I was too hyped up or something. I think I was also holding my breath a bit instead of breathing which I'll need to work on.

Any beginner advice is appreciated.

Pay for professional training. Seriously.

You have no idea how much good it will do you and how much you will get out of it.

ETA: it must be hard to get a clean break with a fish hook on your trigger finger.

put some holes in some paper. Any beginner advice is appreciated.

Never sell your first gun,
Avoid getting treble hooks stuck in yout fingers,
Never divulge your real age
,don't eat @ a reasturant called "Mom's",
Try not to get into barroom brawls with guys w/ tattoos on their face.
Don't use profanity on NES..(ever)

I'd recommend shooting with an instructor a few times, until your technique is a little better. They'll tell you what you're doing wrong & how to improve. Also, shoot often, but dry fire even more!

I did that last year with a big bluefish hook, and the bluefish still attached.

Always carry a good pair of cutting pliers when fishing. Hooking yourself sucks a lot less when you can get it out quickly. (Yep, I've done it too.) [laugh]

I'd recommend shooting with an instructor a few times, until your technique is a little better. They'll tell you what you're doing wrong & how to improve. Also, shoot often, but dry fire even more!

Always carry a good pair of cutting pliers when fishing. Hooking yourself sucks a lot less when you can get it out quickly. (Yep, I've done it too.) [laugh]

Unfortunately, Rapala makes really good hooks. Imagine that avatar pic with a hook 4 times that size, about as thick as a Q-tip. My heavy cutting pliers didn't even scratch it.
After I cut the net away, we were able to hold the fish but couldn't get the hook out. I ended up splitting that little split ring on the lure and worked the hook off while it was attached to the bluefish.
The barb was too big to pull it out and the tip was against the bone of my finger so I couldn't push it through.
I had to use my knife to make an incision into my finger until I could see the tip. Once we got the tip out, I help it with one pair of pliers and my brother bent it back and forth with another pair until it snapped. Then I was able to slide it back through. We doused it in Betadyne and went back to fishing. It healed fine.

Got out to the club for the first time shooting by myself I am total novice at shooting. I have a Mark III and a S&W MP .40. I shot about 10 rounds of the .40 and hit paper with only about half of them. I think it was being a bit nervous and being alone for the first time at the range. I switched over to the Mark III which was the first time I have shot it or any .22 handgun and boy it was a good purchase in my opinion. I was able to forget about the kick and concentrate on the front sight and smooth trigger pull. I shot about 100 rounds out of the Mark III and switch back to the .40 for 15 more shots and I was amazed that 13 were on paper and they were actually somewhat grouped. I had so much fun I was giggling like a little kid. Can't wait to get back there again and put some holes in some paper. Any beginner advice is appreciated.
You can download the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Pistol Shooter's Guide from the interwebz for free (you have to buy the rifle guide). It will tell you just about everything you need to know, as taught by the many, many-times world champion AMU.
You can also find it indexed on line.

Unfortunately, Rapala makes really good hooks. Imagine that avatar pic with a hook 4 times that size, about as thick as a Q-tip. My heavy cutting pliers didn't even scratch it.
After I cut the net away, we were able to hold the fish but couldn't get the hook out. I ended up splitting that little split ring on the lure and worked the hook off while it was attached to the bluefish.
The barb was too big to pull it out and the tip was against the bone of my finger so I couldn't push it through.
I had to use my knife to make an incision into my finger until I could see the tip. Once we got the tip out, I help it with one pair of pliers and my brother bent it back and forth with another pair until it snapped. Then I was able to slide it back through. We doused it in Betadyne and went back to fishing. It healed fine.

Ummm, thanks for the story [puke]
[laugh]

Shoot alot. Dry fire more. And enjoy!

The most important thing to learn is habitual safety. Keep the muzzle pointing downrange, finger off the trigger until you are on target, clear your gun and re-check it before you put it away, and be mindful of what is going on around you at the range.

As a beginner it is easy to loose track of these things. Always practice good handling even if you know it's unloaded. One day it won't be. [shocked]

Never sell your first gun,
Avoid getting treble hooks stuck in yout fingers,
Never divulge your real age
,don't eat @ a reasturant called "Mom's",
Try not to get into barroom brawls with guys w/ tattoos on their face.
Don't use profanity on NES..(ever)

Sage advice my friend - sage advice. [cheers]

I bought and sold a lot of guns through the years, but kept my first rifle and pistol, (Mark II and 10/22) and my first center fire pistol, (Heckler and Koch Vp70z).

Sage advice my friend - sage advice. [cheers]

I bought and sold a lot of guns through the years, but kept my first rifle and pistol, (Mark II and 10/22) and my first center fire pistol, (Heckler and Koch Vp70z).

Now if you could just stop getting into fights w/tattoed faced guys on your 41rst B-Day at "Moms" place and ending up with a fish hook in your paw and cusin' about it on a gun forum.[laugh]

My incident was a lot easier. I ended up with a #6 treble hook from a Heddon Torpedo in my pinky finger.

I couldn't get the hook out on my own so I went to the local walk in to have a doc remove it. After a shot to numb the finger he pushed the hook through so the barb was exposed but couldn't cut it with anything they had on hand. After watching him ruin what looked like a few expensive pairs of cutters. I gave him my cheapie Cabelas needle nosed pliers that were still in my back pocket and he was able to cut it with those.

I've only shot handguns at a range once, all in all probably only a few hundred rounds also, but I can't stress how much of a help it was having a coach there and I will go take additional courses with this gentleman when I turn 21 and am eligible for my LTC.

I have a fair deal of experience with other weapons systems, though am still very much a novice, and with everyone I was coached and am coached almost every time I use them and I find it to be indescribably valuable. I feel like shooting is something that maybe in a good deal of time you could figure out, but part of it is a science that has already been close to perfected, and it makes no sense to ignore that. At the very least I would read a manual so you aren't ignoring the fundamentals.

Mike

I went again today and it was a bit better I was more relaxed but still shot too fast. Still flinching also and shooting to the left. I think I may need to take advice and get a couple of lessons. Anyone know any good instructors in RI? I had a ball again but don't want to have to break a bad stance later rather than sooner.

Got out to the club for the first time shooting by myself I am total novice at shooting. I have a Mark III and a S&W MP .40. I shot about 10 rounds of the .40 and hit paper with only about half of them. I think it was being a bit nervous and being alone for the first time at the range. Any beginner advice is appreciated.

That's great! I am a very new shooter as well. I was the same way not too long ago. I try to go every week, twice a week most weeks, to work on this new skill. It get's better every time I go. The biggest part for me is breathing and trying to be relaxed when shooting. I "think" I have the mechanics down, but the staying relaxed is the major thing for me. Having an ex-Army MP with me ( kzilla ) helping me out is a huge plus too.

Back
Top Bottom