First Time Bow Hunter

So...I purchased a bow yesterday at Archery Plus. I got a Mission BX-1. It was a little more than I wanted to spend (isn't that always the case) but it felt better than the PSE Stinger that I had previously tried. 50-60# limbs (breaks at 60.5) with a 29" draw cam. Kieth and Brad? were great. Now I've got to get practicing and to some 3D shoots. THanks for all the advice and in advance for all the questions about bows and bow hunting that I am going to bombard you with.

So...I purchased a bow yesterday at Archery Plus. I got a Mission BX-1. It was a little more than I wanted to spend (isn't that always the case) but it felt better than the PSE Stinger that I had previously tried. 50-60# limbs (breaks at 60.5) with a 29" draw cam. Kieth and Brad? were great. Now I've got to get practicing and to some 3D shoots. THanks for all the advice and in advance for all the questions about bows and bow hunting that I am going to bombard you with.

Congratulations! I don't have much experience with Mission bows, but I've heard a lot of good things. They're made by Mathews, so they must have a few people over their that know what they are doing. [wink] Enjoy your practice.

The Mission bow should serve you well for a while. Once you get more experienced with bow hunting/shooting. You will know the ins and outs a little better. I buy my bows online, and research before I buy. You can save a bundle. Then just find a good bow shop to set it up for you. Mathews and hoyt seem to be very popular around here anyways. I went with a Bowtech my self, mainly the price was right and my other bow was 13 years old and it was time to upgrade.

Congrats on the purchase!! Glad you are happy I knew Keith would take good care of you!

i try to attend every 3-d there is within 40 miles of the worcester area, check out www.baystatearchers.com for their 3-d shoot dates, you can also go to www.3-dshoots.com for other dates. Shooting at block targets is great but you will learn a lot more and faster shooting at the 3-d's. pm me if you ever want to meet up at a shoot. If you join bay state archers it costs $5 and it will save you $2 on every shoot that they host, and they host about 25 a year.

I was poking around on the Bay State Archers website this weekend. It definately appears to be worth the $5. I am thinking about joing Marlborough Fish and Game. I start a new job across the street from there next month. Do you have any experience with them? I really just want a nice place to practice with an active hunter population willing to teach a beginner? When I put it that way it really does seen like I'm asking a lot.

i am not a member there but they have a monday night league that is open to the public. They also have 2 to 3 3-d shoots there a year. there target range consists of 20, 30, 40, and 50 yard archery butts. the monday night league utilizes the outdoor woods course, I really cant say anything bad about the club. I have a few friends that are members there.

just got the new matthews Z7(28" 70lb) last week, had a parker wildfire last season ,today i just shot my first perfect robin hood shot. Both arrows dead and one lumenok destroyed. fall away rest huge upgrade to my grouping..

Just picked up a Mathews Z7 at Reedy's in Middleboro today. Did some research and talked to a few bow hunting buddies and went down to Reedy's to see what they had. Plenty of choices for bows,even for the girls, and lots of accessories to choose from. The people working there are great. Very knowledgable. Spent about an hour setting up and shooting arrows, and fine tuning. Walked out of there feeling like Robbin Hood! Well almost. If your in the area stop in. Great place.

just got the new matthews Z7(28" 70lb) last week, had a parker wildfire last season ,today i just shot my first perfect robin hood shot. Both arrows dead and one lumenok destroyed. fall away rest huge upgrade to my grouping..

Just picked up a Mathews Z7 at Reedy's in Middleboro today. Did some research and talked to a few bow hunting buddies and went down to Reedy's to see what they had. Plenty of choices for bows,even for the girls, and lots of accessories to choose from. The people working there are great. Very knowledgable. Spent about an hour setting up and shooting arrows, and fine tuning. Walked out of there feeling like Robbin Hood! Well almost. If your in the area stop in. Great place.

I want to neg rep you two so bad outta jealousy it ain't even funny.

Congrats, on the pickup fellas. No doubt you'll enjoy 'em!

I'm picking up my first bow this year as well, I think I've settled on the Hoyt Turbohawk but I was wondering what peoples preferences were for arrow rest and sights. There's so much to this, it almost seems like picking the bow is the easy part.

I'm picking up my first bow this year as well, I think I've settled on the Hoyt Turbohawk but I was wondering what peoples preferences were for arrow rest and sights. There's so much to this, it almost seems like picking the bow is the easy part.

Congrats. Hope to see you out there!

It's easy to get caught up in all the details of your setup; so many pieces can be overwhelming. Don't sweat it. I have a whisper biscuit on mine, it was free, but prefer fall away rests. I figure I'm losing some speed but it really doesn't matter, nothing I hit with it is going to be around long enough to notice the difference.

Back
Top Bottom