First Time Bow Hunter

I am looking at bying a hunting bow to practice with and use for turkey this spring and then deer in the fall. Like most beginners at things, I want to get the best piece of equipment possible at a budget price.

I have been looking at the PSE Deerhunter (about $280 with accesories) or the PSE Nova (about $350 with accessories). The Deerhunter has wheels, and the Vova has cams. Is it worth the extra money for the cams? I know I can pull 60+ pounds no problem.

What sort of things should I be looking for in a first timerrs bow. I still want it to be functional, so when i upgrade it is because I want to, not because I have to.

Thanks in advance for your help and info.

John

John, check other threads on speed, let off and more.

Most people would say to go to an archery dealer for the first time or buy someone's used bow.

My bow is about 15 years old. I keep up with some changes but you'll find more from people that have many bows or that are newer into it that have upgraded. Guys that do target and hunting know a lot.

You want to be able to pull it and hold it stable. You'll be in unusual positions, sometimes where you have to twist and hold. You may not have great footing.

Dana

I live near Worcester. I have talked to folks both at Bass Pro Shops and The Natick Outdoor Store. I peek into Fin, Fur, and Feather a bit but Steve's bow selection is usually pretty slim.

I now know that with a release I pull 28" plus a loop. I can pull 70# well but will probably start at 60# for use of pull and steadyness on a stand. There are just so many options and so little time and money.

I've also been thinking of getting into bow hunting, but haven't touched one since I was a kid. There's what looks to be a pretty good shop not 5 minutes from my house in Leominster (Ric's Archery). I'll probably make a visit after tax returns.

I live near Worcester. I have talked to folks both at Bass Pro Shops and The Natick Outdoor Store. I peek into Fin, Fur, and Feather a bit but Steve's bow selection is usually pretty slim.

I now know that with a release I pull 28" plus a loop. I can pull 70# well but will probably start at 60# for use of pull and steadyness on a stand. There are just so many options and so little time and money.

350 for just a bow is cheap. Do not go to BPS!! Use a local archery shop. Big box stores suck when it comes to knowlegeable and competant staff for archery. You need to get your bow set up right for you and a big box store is not the place for confidence with that.

One I can highly reccomend is Archery Plus in Spencer. Ask for Keith or his brother and tell them Arlow from Huntingchat sent you. He often has high quality used bows (trade ins) that would fit in your budget if you cannot find something new that you like.

Another great shop is Reedys in Middleboro but quite a bit farther away.

I've also been thinking of getting into bow hunting, but haven't touched one since I was a kid. There's what looks to be a pretty good shop not 5 minutes from my house in Leominster (Ric's Archery). I'll probably make a visit after tax returns.

Brandy, owner operator of Ric's is a convicted poacher and dog killer. He locally shot someones yellow lab with a bow because it was "attacking him" He lost hunting priveledges for over 10 years in Mass for killing the dog and several years in NJ on hunting law infractions.

I would not step in his shop if you paid me! He is no freind to the hunting community!

do yourself a favor and go see Jerry at Jerry's bait and tackle in Milford.
he carries the big three. PSE, Hoyt and Matthews

I started on a PSE Nova it was fine I killed a deer with it but it felt like a toy compared to the Mathews I now own.
all the others I hunt with shoot either hoyt or mathews.
Jerry can set you up on a leftover for a good price and he will set it up for you right then and there and you can pratice on his indoor range untill the setup is right for you.

I am going to stop by Jerry's on my way home from work tonight. It is just a tad out of the way from my way home from work. Thanks for the info. I will update after my trip.

Brandy, owner operator of Ric's is a convicted poacher and dog killer. He locally shot someones yellow lab with a bow because it was "attacking him" He lost hunting priveledges for over 10 years in Mass for killing the dog and several years in NJ on hunting law infractions.

I would not step in his shop if you paid me! He is no freind to the hunting community!

Thanks for the heads-up. Just so we're sure: IIRC, they closed down at some point in the last couple years and re-opened under new owner/management. Are you sure it's currently owned by Brandy?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up. Just so we're sure: IIRC, they closed down at some point in the last couple years and re-opened under new owner/management. Are you sure it's currently owned by Brandy?

Yes, and not only is the above enough to make you run, he is just a plain old ass.

Yes, and not only is the above enough to make you run, he is just a plain old ass.

Thanks guys. Looks like it'll be a road trip to Spencer when I'm ready.

I guess that explains why the parking lot at Ric's is empty every day when I drive by on my way to and from work.

Holy crap! I just checked out Archery Plus's website. I'm going to need to take time off work to visit that shop. It's huge and has an indoor range. I'm sold.

do yourself a favor and go see Jerry at Jerry's bait and tackle in Milford.
he carries the big three. PSE, Hoyt and Matthews

I started on a PSE Nova it was fine I killed a deer with it but it felt like a toy compared to the Mathews I now own.
all the others I hunt with shoot either hoyt or mathews.
Jerry can set you up on a leftover for a good price and he will set it up for you right then and there and you can pratice on his indoor range untill the setup is right for you.

Matthews is no longer available there. Reedys is the place for them.

Went to Jerry's tonight. Actually spoke with Jerry. Good guy. He sold me on a PSE Stinger. I am going to get it set up this weekend. It is more than I wanted to spend but I don't want a piece of junk either. If you buy a bow from him you get six months usage of his indoor range free. Good place, I'll definatly be back. I will still go check out Archery Plus. Looks like a nice shop too.

Silverado Mike, Jerry is now carrying PSE, Hoyt and Martin.

I am looking at bying a hunting bow to practice with and use for turkey this spring and then deer in the fall. Like most beginners at things, I want to get the best piece of equipment possible at a budget price.

I have been looking at the PSE Deerhunter (about $280 with accesories) or the PSE Nova (about $350 with accessories). The Deerhunter has wheels, and the Vova has cams. Is it worth the extra money for the cams? I know I can pull 60+ pounds no problem.

What sort of things should I be looking for in a first timerrs bow. I still want it to be functional, so when i upgrade it is because I want to, not because I have to.

Thanks in advance for your help and info.

John

My bow was a PSE NOVA and i used it a few years ,i bought this bow because it wasn't top shelf or junk it was in the middle and still dropped a deer .i wanted to make sure i liked hunting with a bow before spending alot of money .since i have a Matthews Drenlin now,best bow period ,again my opinion .and i truly believe it's the indian not the arrow but a good bow helps .take a ride to Reedys in Middleboro and talk to chris or carl and they'll let you shoot all day and try out all different styles and range of prices without the pressure sales .full set up will cost extra ,sights ,rest,peep,quiver,and arrows have there own range of prices.they don't have Slick Trick broad heads but i have found then to be truly dealy and never have failed me.i know a place you and get them or just ordeer direct from Slick Trick .last peice of advice ,try a shotgun for your first turkey hunt then work to a bow.also Practice Practice Practice !!....feel free to contact me anytime if i can help

Tom

Yeah, thanks Macho, very informative. It looks like I am not going to get out of this thing for less than 500 bucks. I just can't seem to find a used bow that works for me or they are so close to the new price that it would be foolish not to go that route. Does anydody have experience with Martin bows? I also heard that Hoyt is probably out of my price range.

Yeah, thanks Macho, very informative. It looks like I am not going to get out of this thing for less than 500 bucks. I just can't seem to find a used bow that works for me or they are so close to the new price that it would be foolish not to go that route. Does anydody have experience with Martin bows? I also heard that Hoyt is probably out of my price range.

Martin will be out of your range as well. if you are looking for used. go sign up at http://www.archerytalk.com they have classified as does NES. you can score a good deal there if you know your draw length.
Mathews Martin Hoyt and Bowtech are all Top of the line.

I know Keith at ArcheryPlus had a used Hoyt Trykon for 350 not too long ago. Awesome bow! Call him up and see what they have for used now. If they dont have something one of the other local bow shops will. If you cannot find something local then do as Silverado said and check AT to see what they have. A lot of guys on there get new bows every year and blow out the old ones at great prices.

The Switchback Daryl is offering is a great bow as well.

Jerry's in Milford has a Martin Saber package for $399. Would be about 500 with a release, arrows and whatnot. I didn't love how it felt just holding it in my hand, I had just never heard of Martin before.

I talked to somebody at Archery Plus today (sounded like the man in charge) and he said that they have no used bows, he puts them all on ebay. He then advised me to never buy a used bow because (paraphrase) there is just so much shit out there and you never know what you are going to get. I am going to pop in this weekend and see what their deal is. I can only afford the Mission Bows there (which I could not find a bad thing about online and you still get the Matthews warranty).

At Jerry's, he'll give you 6 months free use of his indoor range if you buy a bow from him. Does anybody know if Archery Plus has a similar promotion?

I talked to somebody at Archery Plus today (sounded like the man in charge) and he said that they have no used bows, he puts them all on ebay. He then advised me to never buy a used bow because (paraphrase) there is just so much shit out there and you never know what you are going to get.

I agree people drop there bows from there stands, and dry fire them, and then sell them after they realize what this does to a bow.

Zenprop, I have a Martin, from the early 90's. Lynx model, not made anymore. I had a choice of others, I bought it at an archery shop then. I paid about $500 rigged then, I recall.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom