First the LEGO gun, then this....

Stamford Advocate. Here is the lede (first line of the story):

STAMFORD -- Fourteen Stamford High School students filming a movie with guns and a baseball bat were arrested after a neighbor feared they were fighting in the school parking lot, police said.

Then follows the explanation later:

Two of the students told police they had recruited the other 12 to make a movie they planned to upload on an internet video site. There was a camera nearby on a tripod, and the students used pellet guns, toy guns and other facsimile weapons, Matheny said. Police recovered one wooden baseball bat.

The students, who ranged in ages from 14 to 17, were all charged as either juveniles or youthful offenders with breach of peace, and two were charged with possession of a facsimile firearm. Matheny said they were charged because they caused alarm.

An earlier version of the story didn't mention the movie-making, and said "paint ball guns" rather than "pellet guns". I didn't know that "possession of a facsimile firearm" was an offense.

The real question is whether we all have to moderate our behavior to avoid upsetting the most timid observer that happens by. And why is that person not charged with making a false report?

I'm not so sure how I feel about this. I don't think they should have been charged with anything...but at the same time, I don't think teenagers running around with baseball bats and fake guns in public is a good idea either...

I'm not so sure how I feel about this. I don't think they should have been charged with anything...but at the same time, I don't think teenagers running around with baseball bats and fake guns in public is a good idea either...

The easiest way to have avoided this would have been a COURTESY call to the local PD advising them they were making a movie and the fighting would be simulated.

There's a big difference between giving the local police a heads-up to avoid a misunderstanding and asking permission. I advocate the former rather then the latter.

OTOH, what teenager is going to think that far ahead.

the courtesy call would have meant a 4 hour detail for at least 3 officers, plus a school facilities supervisor, and 3 custodians/grounds keepers, plus 2 EMT's and an ambulance.

The easiest way to have avoided this would have been a COURTESY call to the local PD advising them they were making a movie and the fighting would be simulated.

There's a big difference between giving the local police a heads-up to avoid a misunderstanding and asking permission. I advocate the former rather then the latter.

OTOH, what teenager is going to think that far ahead.

If I had given the local PD a "courtesy call" every time I played with a cap gun as a kid I would have spent a lot of time on the phone.

I think it is outrageous they were charged. If my teenage son was one of these charged, I would certainly be hiring a lawyer.

the courtesy call would have meant a 4 hour detail for at least 3 officers, plus a school facilities supervisor, and 3 custodians/grounds keepers, plus 2 EMT's and an ambulance.

I agree,so the answer is to do these things on private property out of the public view.

So anything you do that "causes alarm" from your wussy liberal neighbor is now a crime and you have to find a private place instead or be charged?

Don't forget to call the union too! After all they were making a movie and had "extras" and were not paying union scale! [shocked]

I dunno, I would think any cop that maybe would have noticed that these kids were having a good time would have just talk to them, see what they were up to, and drove away. after all, it was kids playing cops and robbers right? (basically) So WTF is wrong with these cops? Forget the sheeple, we know what is wrong with them!

The sheep are less scared when the unions can make a few xtra $$$...[rofl]

In all seriousness how f*ck*d up is this country? Formally Great Britain, her we come!!

I call Bull****. it wouldn't produce any of this.

A similar situation happened that I read in the news. Some kids were playing with pellet guns on PRIVATE PROPERTY and one of the neighbors saw kids running around with what appeared to be real guns. You know how realistic the airsoft community like their toys...

Anyways, one anecdote from one of the kids was remembering hearing a cop shout at him from behind to put his hands up after he walked out of his house after gettign a drink. The cops ended up putting all of the kids in handcufss before sorting things out. Nobody was charged, but the officers told the kids that a courtesy call would be nice next time.

I think it is outrageous they were charged. If my teenage son was one of these charged, I would certainly be hiring a lawyer.

+1 This is bullshit. I would be hiring a lawyer to clear my kids record too. Goes right along with P2A earlier message re: the pussification of America. The police could have investigated found out the students were working on a film project called back the concerned citizen and said "The kids will be filming and simulating some violence. I suggest you don't turn on your TV because the violence on there is much worse, now you have a nice day."

Last edited:
I love these stories where one amendment's freedoms not normally abridged is trampled by anti gun fervor. This is a law suit waiting to happen. They were engaging in free speech. Now, this happening on school grounds sucks because a crap load of other issues arise but hopefully the prosecutor will cut them loose when the crapstorm subsides.

Yeah. And if they look young, better give a courtesy call before getting driving instruction. Or buying booze. Or whittling in public.

Start 'em young... [thinking]

Listen, the neighbor thought people with REAL GUNS were running around and called the cops. He wasnt sure what was going on.

Is it the neighbors responsibility to go out and ask these people to stop running around when he legitimately thinks they have actual firearms?

The cops get a call saying "multiple peopel running around with guns" they are going to check it out!!!! I think it's in the best interest of the officers to do that. They had no idea it was kids using airsoft guns. Kids paint the orange tips black allthe time. there's no way for anyone to know that unless they were informed previously or go to check it out.

Can you spell s-t-i-m-u-l-u-s kids?

I knew you could.

In High School I was co-director of a movie a bunch of us produced as our Student's Against Driving Drunk project, called "A SADD Story". (won a nice award and scholarship from it too)

Anyway, since we couldn't slam a car into anyone for the climatic scene (hope this doesn't spoil it for anyone) I crouched down low and repeatedly slammed Kevin into the hood of this car. Took a few takes to get it looking realistic.

The difference is that instead of being arrested, the Chief of Police was standing there with comments of "No, he's gotta hit much harder." (^_^)

As for the story above... You gotta hope that charges will be dropped on this one.

You forgot the Screen Actors Guild, Community Liason, Clergy, Craft Services, and a Local 25 & 399 Teamster. Oh yeah, a representative from the MSPCA to ensure that no animals were harmed during the filming of this movie.

Back
Top Bottom