First home handgun; several choices... suggestions?

I've tried several handguns over the last few weeks, and I've spent countless hours watching YouTube videos, reading article reviews, and reviewing forum posts.

While I know many people hate these kinds of posts, I'm really hoping some of you will chime in with some info/suggestions. It's difficult to judge many of the options being a "newbie", and also seeing as MA has special versions of many of the guns I've been researching (so reviews that tout awesome triggers, etc probably won't carry over).

So here's what I've narrowed my list down to for my first home defense/range gun:

Sig P226 --- I found it to shoot very well in 9mm. Price does scare me (I'm on a tight budget esp with the holidays coming up), but I have found several used versions in .40 cal that would be easier on my wallet.

M&P 9/9C --- This didnt shoot as well for me: but the price is easier to swallow. I like the feel and aesthetic of the gun, along with the aftermarket support and the fact that it's a local company helps. I do realize a trigger is a must adding to cost. I'm temped by the 9C with the more compact size should I decide to carry, and the extended mag to provide a better grip at the range

HP VP9--- Highly regarded out of the box (is the MA trigger still good?): Catches a similar price to a MP9 with trigger? Felt good in my hand (still not as good as the Sig). But aftermarket support is limited still?

Glock 23 --- I enjoyed the Glock too. Not too bad price-wise. I'm not sure I want to buy used for my first handgun (seeing as I don't know what to look for yet...). Lots of aftermarket support and the option to use pre-ban mags? Will likely have to purchase the 9mm barrel to make it more affordable to shoot at the range.

if anybody else can comment on any of these, I'd be very appreciative. The Sig 320 and 229 are some of the others on my list: but I didn't get to shoot those, and the 320 doesn't seem to be easy to come by.

Thank you you all for your time!

Glock 23 is my frequent carry and the one I shoot best. A used Glock in perfect condition is just as good as a brand new one. For other home handguns, I'd also recommend a Glock 21 or Glock 30. They're solid guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a house gun that's easy to get from a dealer in MA, I like the Beretta. Just put in a D spring and get a bunch of readily available pre-ban mags.

First point - get the gun that you're most comfortable with, that you can point and shoot at close range with. Since you're doubling up on a house/range gun, any considerations have to be weighted in favor of the house. Defense is more important than anything else.

I personally use Glocks for carry/house guns. They're reliable, they take a lot of abuse, they're simple to maintain and you can get parts for them anywhere. I don't happen to like .40, but if you buy a used 23, you can buy the barrel and have two calibers. Used Glocks are fine.

Some people don't like Glocks, for perfectly good reasons. My wife hates my Glocks, she likes Sigs and lately has taken one of my Kimbers.

YOU have to pick the gun that you're most comfortable with.

For a house gun that's easy to get from a dealer in MA, I like the Beretta. Just put in a D spring and get a bunch of readily available pre-ban mags.

What about the Ruger SR9? Great trigger out of the box and priced well.

I appreciate the additional suggestions: but if I keep considering other options I'll never be an owner! The models I listed are a few that I've tried and liked

First point - get the gun that you're most comfortable with, that you can point and shoot at close range with. Since you're doubling up on a house/range gun, any considerations have to be weighted in favor of the house. Defense is more important than anything else.

I personally use Glocks for carry/house guns. They're reliable, they take a lot of abuse, they're simple to maintain and you can get parts for them anywhere. I don't happen to like .40, but if you buy a used 23, you can buy the barrel and have two calibers. Used Glocks are fine.

Some people don't like Glocks, for perfectly good reasons. My wife hates my Glocks, she likes Sigs and lately has taken one of my Kimbers.

YOU have to pick the gun that you're most comfortable with.
Very true: but I also don't see this as being my only handgun. I've had limited time with each of the models I listed, but I think it's hard to get a feel for what I like when only putting 50-100 rounds through a handgun (less than 400 rounds in total). I understand things people look for are ergonomics, sights and trigger: but to a beginner like me, they're essentially impossible to distinguish.

I see this first gun for me to be one that let's me get comfortable at the range (so I don't flinch every time that magnum next to me goes off), get comfortable with shooting "mechanics", and to get a real idea of trigger feel and sight setup.

Part of me feels I should start with the M&P and get used to a sloppy trigger. Then maybe swap it out with an APEX. Maybe get a feel for different feels. But then you hear how good the VP9 is out of the box, which is tempting.... but do I want my first handgun to be one that makes me a bad shooter on a model regarded as less than ideal (if that makes any sense)

I would pull the trigger on a VP9... as I said.. I have both the M&P9 and the VP9. 2nd owner on the VP9, the M&P is brand new out of the box. The VP9 is a much easier shooter. I never understood the whole trigger thing, until I shot both side by side.

There's a VP9LE on the classifieds for $550. I'd grab that in a heartbeat.

Part of me feels I should start with the M&P and get used to a sloppy trigger. Then maybe swap it out with an APEX. Maybe get a feel for different feels.

Yeah don't do that, it won't make you a better shooter to get used to a sloppy trigger.

I'd be far more concerned with magazine capacity (pre-ban availability since we're in MA) than any other type of aftermarket support.

I'll be the old guy to say a good choice for a home gun is a .357 revolver with a 4" or 6" barrel. When I grab a gun from the lock box, sleepy in the early morning I don't want to worry about any manual of arms or safety. The .357 has all the power you need and the 6" is more comfortable to shoot while you could carry the 4" if you wanted that option. You can get a used Smith or Ruger revolver pretty easily and cheaply.

If you shoot the P226 in 9mm well, just hold out for a used one. They show up often enough.

Plus there are preban mags available.

The trigger on the M&P isn't sloppy, it's stupid heavy (on a MA dealer-compliant version). Awful without getting the Apex kit.

I think others have stated it here. Go with what you find most comfortable. My go to is the SIG P226. I love it for home and carry. My husband 's is his HK P30. They are both 'similar ' enough in operation that if I had to grab his HK or vice versa in an emergency, there'd be no confusion or hesitation.

Good luck with with your choice!

The differences between the guns you listed don't really matter. They're all fine. Just buy one you think looks cool and practice.

I'll be the old guy to say a good choice for a home gun is a .357 revolver with a 4" or 6" barrel. When I grab a gun from the lock box, sleepy in the early morning I don't want to worry about any manual of arms or safety.
Yep, me too... All my Glocks have that annoying safety I have to fumble with at 3am.
[emoji6]

My votes are the P226 or VP9. I have both, but my home guns are either a 1911 or a Glock 19.

I would pull the trigger on a VP9... as I said.. I have both the M&P9 and the VP9. 2nd owner on the VP9, the M&P is brand new out of the box. The VP9 is a much easier shooter. I never understood the whole trigger thing, until I shot both side by side.

There's a VP9LE on the classifieds for $550. I'd grab that in a heartbeat.
My wife has a VP9. I have a VP40.
The VP9 is an easy shooter. Low muzzle rise. My niece who weighs about 110# has no problem shooting it at the range. She handled my VP40 very well too. Not nearly as snappy as many other 40's.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I would suggest going with what is most comfortable and what you shoot the best. IMO magazine capacity and caliber don't really matter if you're not going to hit what you're aiming at. If you like the sig the best then simply save up and get one. Yes they're a bit pricey but the ones I've shot were fantastic in terms of function and quality control.

When I was faced with the same decision I went with a M&P9. The M&P points well in my hands, to the extent that at the range I'm aimed at the bullseye before even looking down the sights. For me that was a huge factor when considering a defensive handgun.

If you shoot the P226 in 9mm well, just hold out for a used one. They show up often enough.

Plus there are preban mags available.
Did they change the design of the mags at any time? Or are they all the same/readily available?

one of the positives for the Glock IMO was the fact that preban mags were available, but if the 226 has them as easily available, I'll scratch it off my list for now.

The trigger on the M&P isn't sloppy, it's stupid heavy (on a MA dealer-compliant version). Awful without getting the Apex kit.
Still: I think the M&P is the bargain of the bunch I listed (at least when considering new), even with a $100 trigger

As many have mentioned, go with what you are comfortable shooting. All the handguns you mentioned are solid investments and I'm sure you'll probably end up owning them all before you know it.

This would be an excellent choice. They shoot great, they are not ammo picky at all and are very reliable

I owned two M&P 9's. One stock and one with a trigger job. I just was not a fan. Sure they are a bargain, but if after you buy it you want/wished you bought something else, its not a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom