First Cerakote job!

So, i was bored and decided that my old gen 2 Glock 19 needed a facelift. It had quite a bit of worn finish on it as it was a duty gun in it's previous life.
I was able to borrow a portable sandblaster to do the prep and a toaster oven did the bake job. I used Desert Sand as the color. I was quite surprised when the bake was done that the two pieces were totally different colors when cured. Anyway, i thought i would share the pic. It was quite an easy process and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. We will see how good my prep work was in a few months after it gets some holster time!

By the way, does anyone know why they are so different in color? They were sprayed at the same time with the same batch of cerakote!

Attachments

• Cerakote.jpg
    Cerakote.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 160
Temp is different when you do polymer right ?

Did you do the slide second ? Maybe it wasn't mixed as good ?

The temp is lower for the polymer, but they were sprayed at the same time with the same cup of cerakote on the sprayer. I think it has to do with the heat, possibly the thickness and the metal vs plastic?

Wow I've never seen that large a difference in color from the same batch. What was the underlying color of the slide and frame. I have seen some difference when underlying colors are different. There should be no change just because one is steel and one is plastic.

Wow I've never seen that large a difference in color from the same batch. What was the underlying color of the slide and frame. I have seen some difference when underlying colors are different. There should be no change just because one is steel and one is plastic.

the gun was stock black glock finish but old and worn! Strange, but I got two tone for the price of one color!

I have a G23 that was done in OD green and both the frame and slide match. Other than the two tone on your gun, which looks pretty good, it appears to be well done. Is the frame closer to to the desert sand color that you wanted?

I have a G23 that was done in OD green and both the frame and slide match. Other than the two tone on your gun, which looks pretty good, it appears to be well done. Is the frame closer to to the desert sand color that you wanted?
y
Yes, the frame is what I thought I was getting, but I really like it two tone! I followed the prep to a tee according to the instructions, and I sprayed cars as a kid, so the spraying part was easy for me. I may have put more on the slide than the frame so maybe that it why it is darker. Also didn't check the toaster ovens temp, even though it was on 250, it may have been higher and burnt it? I'll contact the company on Monday and see if i can get some answers.

Talked to tech services, it appears that the color difference is because of too high heat, i need to make some mods to the toaster oven that i cooked the slide in. Either way, i still like the two tone look!

That's something to hang your hat on capt kev! Good job, I like it better than mine!
dbc906d2a07d475ab49a4e5f852d65cb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom