First Build Upper Questions

Ok I jumped in and purchased a Spikes Tactical stripped lower on sale for $90. I wasn't planning on building a rifle this winter but for that price why not.

I'm looking at an Ace skeleton buttstock, and a DPMS LPK. After that I'm planning on buying a complete upper, I do not have the tools to put the upper together. (And the upper may take me a while since this was not in the budget.)

I'm planning on shooting at the range so I'm leading to a 5.56mm, 16" bull barrel, A3 or A4 flat top and optics. Am I going in the right direction? Any comments or manufacturers I should take a look at? I've been looking at several site and finding way to many choices. I'm in MA so I have to play by those rules. Thanks in advance.

Those bull barrels are pretty heavy. I'd think about a medium contour barrel or an H-bar for a 16".

No need for the bull barrel. I'd just buy a complete upper from Model 1 Sales, should run you about $400 or so.

Ok I jumped in and purchased a Spikes Tactical stripped lower on sale for $90. I wasn't planning on building a rifle this winter but for that price why not.

I'm looking at an Ace skeleton buttstock, and a DPMS LPK. After that I'm planning on buying a complete upper, I do not have the tools to put the upper together. (And the upper may take me a while since this was not in the budget.)

I'm planning on shooting at the range so I'm leading to a 5.56mm, 16" bull barrel, A3 or A4 flat top and optics. Am I going in the right direction? Any comments or manufacturers I should take a look at? I've been looking at several site and finding way to many choices. I'm in MA so I have to play by those rules. Thanks in advance.

The Ace stock is a good choice; I use them on two of my ARs. Flat top is definitely the way to go. If you find you want iron sights or a carry handle they can also be mounted on a flat top. Bull barrels are a little heavy. It would be a good idea to handle a few ARs with the various barrels before you made a decision. Building an upper is relatively simple, the only specialized tool that you need is a wrench for the barrel nut which is available for under $20.

Back
Top Bottom