First AR15: Bushmaster PCWA2S16 or PCWA3S16?

What do you guys think about these two AR-15s?

A2:
http://www.gilbertgunworks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BUSH-PCWA2S16++++&cat=24

A3:
http://www.gilbertgunworks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BUSH-PCWA3S16++++&cat=26

Based on what I've read, they're both MA compliant (if this is incorrect please let me know!) and I'm looking for somehting carbine-length and understand thet Bushmaster is a good brand. Not looking to add optics (at this point) so I'm leaning towards the A2 (and it's cheaper) but it may be a decent idea to go with the A3 and leave my options open for optics at a later date.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Go with the A3. You may not want optics now, but that will change in the future as you explore all the different options available to you. It's better to pay a little extra now for the A3 then having to buy an A3 upper later.

Go with the A3. You may not want optics now, but that will change in the future as you explore all the different options available to you. It's better to pay a little extra now for the A3 then having to buy an A3 upper later.

I agree spending a little more know will save you in the future for when you do decide you must have an optic on it and you will :)

+1 on that!... if he wants to put an Aimpoint, etc,
on it in the future he will only end up administering
himself many ass-kickings if he gets a fixed handle upper.

-Mike

Another vote for the A3.

Add a back-up iron sight (BUIS), instead of a carry handle.

That way (if you decide to later on), you can add an EoTech or Aimpoint and be able to use either irons or optics at your choosing.

Last edited:
I recently looked at a Bushmaster - as I have been getting the itch to get back into AR's, since selling my Colt NM HBAR. I liked it, but think I'll hold out for either a custom build I'll do myself, or another Colt. I'm not sure why it is that I can't jump on the Bushmaster bandwagon, but they just don't feel as well made as a Colt. I'm not sure if it's the plastic trigger guard, or the loose feel of the one I examined, (a MA compliant M4gery) but I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is about Bushmaster. Perhaps I'll keep looking at them - I may not have found the right one. If anyone has a kick-arse Bushmaster, I'd like to take a look at it - perhaps at the next members shoot. I'm really not bashing them, (though it may seem it) - the ones I've seen just seem a bit chintzy for the money. Are there build differences amongst the different models?

MassMark, I looked at Bushmaster M4geries too but I'm not paying for a fake, fixed telescopic stock and detachable carry handle among other things. I'm going to built my own using a stripped Stag lower on a A3 Post Ban Stag upper. This way I can forgo the carry handle, choose the stock and BUIS I want and not get stuck with whatever they put on a complete rifle.

Bushmaster rifles are no better or worse than any other major-brand AR (RR, Colt, Stag, DPMS). Remember: it's an AR, not a custom-built English double rifle. It's a bunch of aluminum and steel parts pinned and hinged together. An AR is only as good as the barrel that's put on it and the trigger that fires it. All the rest is fluff.
Buy a Bushmaster. It will do what you want. The trigger probably sucks, but that can be changed if you like.

Personally, I was thinking of my own AR's and reallized I have no complete rifle of one manufacturer. I have Stag and Colt lowers, RR, Fulton Armory, DPMS, and White Oak uppers, and a bunch of different triggers, but no Bushmaster stuff.

Last edited:
My M4gery has a Bushmaster lower with an A3 JT Distributing Upper. The two mesh together pretty well and they work great. For my Highpower AR I have a RRA National Match lower with a White Oak Precision upper. My Highpower rifle is the 2nd best shooting rifle I own right after my Loaded SA M1A.

Enjoy building yours from scratch.

Bushmaster rifles are no better or worse than any other major-brand AR (RR, Colt, Stag, DPMS). Remember: it's an AR, not a custom-built English double rifle. It's a bunch of aluminum and steel parts pinned and hinged together. An AR is only as good as the barrel that's put on it and the trigger that fires it. All the rest is fluff.Buy a Bushmaster. It will do what you want. The trigger probably sucks, but that can be changed if you like.

Personally, I was thinking of my own AR's and reallized I have no complete rifle of one manufacturer. I have Stag and Colt lowers, RR, Fulton Armory, DPMS, and White Oak uppers, and a bunch of different triggers, but no Bushmaster stuff.

on this note, how do you feel about ER Shaw barrels? I found these from Galati International: http://www.galatiinternational.com/...=CTGY&Store_Code=GIO&Category_Code=AR15uppers

That's a damn good price at $315 for a a complete upper (yes, pre-ban, but still... there is a varmint upper for $360)

To tell you the truth, I don't know a whole lot about Shaw barrels. They could be great, but I don't personally know anybody who shoots one.

Back
Top Bottom