• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms training question

Stevireno

NES Member
So I get an email from one of my sons friends parents inviting him to a sleepover birthday party... She lists how there will always be an adult there and all, and then she states that they have no firearms in the house... It got me thinking... There are a group of people who don't respect firearms, leave them accessible to young kids, and generally neglect basic safety principals, inevitably an accident happens because someone was careless, left wing media reports in the most anti 2A way possible, and then you've got a state-load of moms all freaked out over weather anyone in the bloody neighborhood has a gun.

It got me thinking why people need more training to drive a car than own a firearm. I cant believe I just asked that question on NES for obvious reasons, but people need X number of hours behind the wheel of a car, and they need to pass a written test and even a drivers test, yet for owning a firearm, you need 10 hours of training and you can buy a gun. Do you guys see 10 hours as sufficient? Would more training = less neglect, or are idiots going to be idiots no matter what you do?

For Gods sake don't kill me for asking this question. I don't want any more regulations or restrictions, but in liberal crazy MA, why so little training needed to own a gun. I almost made another username for this question...

-Steve

Last edited:
Simple answer: gun ownership is a right. Driving a car is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a right, but what if someone is unable to properly keep themselves or others around them safe with that gun. Do you want to be near people who are carrying because its their right, but they have no training at all?

Last edited:
i think most NESers support the idea of firearms training, just not in the form of .gov mandated firearms training.

other important life events that don't "require" training, but we all have the option to pursue it:

-riding a bicycle
-opening a checking account
-swimming
-coitus

would any of us support .gov mandating "training" in any of these areas? nope....so they have no business getting involved in 2A "training" as it's an inherent conflict of interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a right, but what if someone is unable to properly keep themselves or others around them safe with that gun. Do you want to be near people who are carrying because its their right, but they have no training at all?

firearms expedite natural selection.....if someone is that stupid they will shoot themself first.
reference: Jose Canseco, Plaxico Burriss, etc.

If the parents are unarmed they unable to defend their family or your child. Why would you send your child where he/she could not be protected?

Last edited:
So I get an email from one of my sons parents inviting him to a sleepover birthday party... She lists how there will always be an adult there and all, and then she states that they have no firearms in the house... It got me thinking... There are a group of people who don't respect firearms, leave them accessible to young kids, and generally neglect basic safety principals, inevitably an accident happens because someone was careless, left wing media reports in the most anti 2A way possible, and then you've got a state-load of moms all freaked out over weather anyone in the bloody neighborhood has a gun.

It got me thinking why people need more training to drive a car than own a firearm. I cant believe I just asked that question on NES for obvious reasons, but people need X number of hours behind the wheel of a car, and they need to pass a written test and even a drivers test, yet for owning a firearm, you need 10 hours of training and you can buy a gun. Do you guys see 10 hours as sufficient? Would more training = less neglect, or are idiots going to be idiots no matter what you do?

For Gods sake don't kill me for asking this question. I don't want any more regulations or restrictions, but in liberal crazy MA, why so little training needed to own a gun. I almost made another username for this question...

-Steve

Did you mean "one of my son's friends parents"?

If the parents are unarmed they unable to defend their family or your child. Why would you send your child were he/she could not be protected?

I agree. I will tell parents that I have firearms to protect my family and visitors. The question is about proper training, I would rather be with with unarmed people than people packing heat with no training.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you mean "one of my son's friends parents"?

HAHA, yeah, the way it was written it would have to be my wife!

Thanks

i think most NESers support the idea of firearms training, just not in the form of .gov mandated firearms training.

other important life events that don't "require" training, but we all have the option to pursue it:

-coitus

would any of us support .gov mandating "training" in any of these areas? nope....so they have no business getting involved in 2A "training" as it's an inherent conflict of interest.

If the government believes I need more coitus training...I am not going to argue. Of course, free training material on the taxpayer's dime needs to be provided to me upon request. Not hookers...instructors.

-riding a bicycle
-opening a checking account
-swimming
-coitus

firearms expedite natural selection.....if someone is that stupid they will shoot themself first.
reference: Jose Canseco, Plaxico Burriss, etc.

Following this line of discussion . . . should there be mandatory training before one can be ALLOWED to conceive a child? How about 2000 hrs of child psychology and parenting training before the Gov't allows you to conceive a child?

Sounds reasonable, right? After all look at all the harm and damage to society that improperly raised children create???

If the parents are unarmed they unable to defend their family or your child. Why would you send your child were he/she could not be protected?

Touché!

There is no place for mandatory training or licensing. Period.

Do I support the idea people should get training? Yes.

Do I think government at any level should be allowed to mandate that training? Nope.

My hunter safety class that qualified me for my LTC was way more comprehensive than both my learners permit test and drivers ed. You are working on a false premise. Though that is common for many MA gun owners.

So, OP, you asked for opinions and you have received them. Where do you stand on mandatory training?

HAHA, yeah, the way it was written it would have to be my wife!

Thanks

Reminds me of a riddle:

A father and his son are in a car accident. The father dies instantly, and the son is taken to the nearest hospital. The doctor comes in and exlaims "I can't operate on this boy."

"Why not?" the nurse asks.

"Because he's my son," the doctor responds.

How is this possible?

You know the answer to that one. Hopefully you wont get beat up too bad but it's a pretty dumb question.

Absolutely I know the answer, I hope everyone knows I was drawing attention to the fact that some people will not perform well not matter how much training is given.

There is no place for mandatory training or licensing. Period.

Do I support the idea people should get training? Yes.

Do I think government at any level should be allowed to mandate that training? Nope.

I never mentioned government! I did elude to it by bringing up driving school which was probably a bad idea since driving licences are government controlled. Most replies are based on wanting the government to stay out, I agree! I just wanted everyone's opinions regarding weather training should be necessary, by Local ranges, by NRA, some organization...

Absolutely I know the answer, I hope everyone knows I was drawing attention to the fact that some people will not perform well not matter how much training is given.

You just answer the question...some people will not perform well no matter how much training. Why the heck should there be mandatory training? A shitload of people lose fingers in snow blowers in each year...mandatory training?

Respect the tool.

yet for owning a firearm, you need 10 hours of training and you can buy a gun. Do you guys see 10 hours as sufficient? why so little training needed to own a gun. I almost made another username for this question...

-Steve
You need no training to buy gasoline and matches, think of the memories from little Johnnys sleepover then.. No amount of training is gonna fix stupid. No amount of training is going to quell evil. Embrace those nuggets o' wisdom, accept them, and then you will realize why your thought process is so fcuking off.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hunter safety class that qualified me for my LTC was way more comprehensive than both my learners permit test and drivers ed. You are working on a false premise. Though that is common for many MA gun owners.

So, OP, you asked for opinions and you have received them. Where do you stand on mandatory training?

I support training, I think I would support training through a non government program , local clubs, NRA, GOAL, that kind of thing. I'm still unsure about mandatory training; outside of MA, kids probably learn gun safety from their parents or older siblings and they will never need formal training.. . But I was raised in MA, was anti-gun until about 5 years ago, and have only been shooting for 2 years, so I am a newbie and am still wrapping my mind around the rights of the people to bear arms. I've been so conditioned by this state that everything needs to be regulated, so it takes me a while to grasp these freedom concepts! I've taken my extended family of 11 from strong antigun to moderate progun. When we have these discussions, I bounce it off the forum here to get some veteran answers. I know I sound like a newbie, and I am, but playing devils advocate lets me get these questions out of my mind and I can more clearly understand why we believe like we do.

Reminds me of a riddle:

A father and his son are in a car accident. The father dies instantly, and the son is taken to the nearest hospital. The doctor comes in and exlaims "I can't operate on this boy."

"Why not?" the nurse asks.

"Because he's my son," the doctor responds.

How is this possible?

Same sex Marriage... or the Dr is a Chick and his Muthah

You need no training to buy gasoline and matches, think of the memories from little Johnnys sleepover then.. No amount of training is gonna fix stupid. No amount of training is going to quell evil. Embrace those nuggets o' wisdom, accept them, and then you will realize why your thought process is so fcuking off.

No need to be an A$$, I'm trying to get a better understanding of this idea. If "no amount of training is going to fix stupid", as you state, then would you trust someone you deem "Stupid" to carry a gun? And its not my "thought process" as you put it, it was just a question.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to be an A$$, I'm trying to get a better understanding of this idea. If "no amount of training is going to fix stupid", as you state, then would you trust someone you deem "Stupid" to carry a gun? And its not my "thought process" as you put it, it was just a question.

When I judge or "Deem' someone stupid, and they are a gun owner, I steer clear of them. No my circus, not my monkeys.
When My friends act stupid with guns, I let them know their behavior is unacceptable, they either fix it, or avoid me.

When I judge or "Deem' someone stupid, and they are a gun owner, I steer clear of them. No my circus, not my monkeys.
When My friends act stupid with guns, I let them know their behavior is unacceptable, they either fix it, or avoid me.

Its funny, reading this post, it just kind of clicked.... I should not be responsible for others behavior. I or others should not be deciding who is worthy or qualified to exercise their rights as an American.

I guy cleared a gun for me recently while pointing it directly at me. I'm also against mandatory training, but I'm getting tired of pointing out major safety flubs.

We have the RKBA. We have schools. Gun training should be taught in schools. (Not Eddie the Eagle; Gun handling. Anything less is useless.) Problem solved.

If there is driver training and testing required today, you would never know it.

Its funny, reading this post, it just kind of clicked.... I should not be responsible for others behavior.

Correct.

I or others should not be deciding who is worthy or qualified to exercise their rights as an American.

...their rights as a human. My natural rights have been codeifed and affirmed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The right to keep,and bear Arms. is a right so we should not have to be regulated by the government on what type or if any training we should have to own a gun.So if you want to just take the basic firearms course get your LTC-A buy yourself a gun, and start carrying it hay that's your right.Now while your carrying that firearm if you shoot,or kill someone because you dont have the proper training, well that should be ok because it's your right. I see some very smart men on this post say some stupid things because our government cannot be trusted to do anything right. I do believe that every person that wants to own,and carry a gun should have to go threw a mandatory firearm training but we cannot trust or government to do it without trying to take our rights away at the same time. OK boys let me have it.

How is driving not a right? Because the government has convinced us of that. Freedom of travel is certainly a right

Correct! SCOTUS did rule in 1823 that freedom of movement was a fundamental constitutional right.

Freedom of movement under United States law is governed primarily by the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the United States Constitution which states, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." As far back as the circuit court ruling in Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823), the Supreme Court recognized freedom of movement as a fundamental Constitutional right. In Paul v. Virginia, 75 U.S. 168 (1869), the Court defined freedom of movement as "right of free ingress into other States, and egress from them."[SUP][1][/SUP] However, the Supreme Court did not invest the federal government with the authority to protect freedom of movement. Under the "privileges and immunities" clause, this authority was given to the states, a position the Court held consistently through the years in cases such as Ward v. Maryland, 79 U.S. 418 (1871), the Slaughter-House Cases, 83 U.S. 36 (1873) and United States v. Harris, 106 U.S. 629 (1883).[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]

As early as the Articles of Confederation the Congress recognized freedom of movement (Article 4), though the right was thought to be so fundamental during the drafting of the Constitution as not needing explicit enumeration.[SUP][4][/SUP]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oYGQBQ&usg=AFQjCNGvrfH0W6UrBAiDVZaACsj0vfmgNA

I'm not busting your balls but no amount of training fixes stupid is so true in every walk of life. I was at a job site and a painter tried to paint under about 15 boards of sheet rock. Well he bumped it out and it fell on him and he popped like toothpaste. He could have waited to touch up that area at the end but he didn't I'd call that stupid and the guy was working for the company for about 15 years I found out. I've also seen a master electrician stick a screw driver in a 660 circuit and get shot down a hallway. Dude had 20 years on the job. Both did something stupid and had extensive training and aren't around to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom