• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms on Amtrak trains

What would happen if Amtrak officials screened my bag and discovered I was carrying an unloaded firearm in a locked case?

I understand they have a policy against firearms, but a policy is not a law.

Thanks for your advice! [grin]

I'm pretty sure there was a policy change recently, so that AMTRAK is now like airlines WRT transport of firearms.

That being said; they could kick you off the train/premises, maybe throw in a threat of trespassing.

I'm not sure if anything came out of it, but Atmay is onto something.. I remember some noises being made about how Amtrak sucks ass because they have a 100% no guns policy, and some pols wanted to change it so that you could at least check guns, but I don't think it's panned out yet.

-Mike

Carry it on your self, concealed is concealed.

Of course that doesn't apply to interstate travel. [hmmm]

[wink]
It most certainly does if you know that your license is valid in every state you will travel through and at your destination.

It most certainly does if you know that your license is valid in every state you will travel through and at your destination.

I have two of the three permits I need. While I wait, I guess I shouldn't carry. [thinking]

But I still wonder if Amtrak could take any legal action - that is, other than trespassing - or if there's any federal/state law against it. In other words, would a person do jailtime for getting caught with a firearm in their luggage?

I've asked a buddy of mine who has worked at Amtrak for over 30 years. Will report back when I hear from him.

Rich

I have two of the three permits I need. While I wait, I guess I shouldn't carry. [thinking]
Given that any domestic land travel out of New England has to traverse New York state, and given that NY doesn't really issue non-resident permits, and given that NY recognizes no other state's permits (P&I/FF&C challenge, if anyone wants to be a test case), land travel in/out of New England while carrying has its limits for non-NY State residents.

Carry it on your self, concealed is concealed.

Of course that doesn't apply to interstate travel.

Keep in mind that some states allow a business to prohibit firearms on their property, and that prohibition carries the force of law. And since Amtrak is a business that prohibits concealed weapons, carrying a concealed weapon on a train in one of those states could actually be illegal, even if you're licensed to carry in that state (depending on signage requirements and all that).

Here is the response from my buddy on Amtrak policy:

"Amtrak's written policy is: Only Law Enforcement Officers who have valid licenses through each and every state that the train passes through may carry. Other's would face immediate arrest ( I know, a conductor with a ticket punch is a little overmatched). At any rate that's the policy."

I've pushed back on him about this asking if he is aware of anyone who has been arrested. I've also asked him about unloaded firearms in locked containers, as that is acceptable on airlines.

I'll post his reply.

Here is the response from my buddy on Amtrak policy:

"Amtrak's written policy is: Only Law Enforcement Officers who have valid licenses through each and every state that the train passes through may carry. Other's would face immediate arrest ( I know, a conductor with a ticket punch is a little overmatched). At any rate that's the policy."

Seems a little peculiar given 18 USC 926B (active LEO part of LEOSA).

Keep in mind that some states allow a business to prohibit firearms on their property, and that prohibition carries the force of law. And since Amtrak is a business that prohibits concealed weapons, carrying a concealed weapon on a train in one of those states could actually be illegal, even if you're licensed to carry in that state (depending on signage requirements and all that).
I am well aware of that since my home state is one of them.

Violating a private property no weapons sign is a 4th class misdemeanor here.

I play by big boys rules.

From a friend that works at Amtrak... he double checked on the rules:

"No guns, no way, not ever unless a Law Enforcement Officer properly documented. I got that from XXXXXXXXX from AMTRAK police in Boston."

Cheers,

Rich

From a friend that works at Amtrak... he double checked on the rules:

"No guns, no way, not ever unless a Law Enforcement Officer properly documented. I got that from XXXXXXXXX from AMTRAK police in Boston."

Cheers,

Rich

Does Amtrak have metal detectors, wanding, or pat downs?

Does Amtrak have metal detectors, wanding, or pat downs?

Not that I've experienced. They have signs mentioning the possibility of random searches, but I have never seen one.

On a side note... years ago we took a cruise to Jamaica. Getting off the cruise ship we were greeted by military or law enforcement folks carrying automatic weapons. I thought to myself who the hell would want to live here??? What a crazy society where there are folks walking around with weapons like that.

Now when I get off Amtrak at Penn Station I'm greeted by guys carrying automatic weapons.

I'm just wondering what the hell has happened to this country.

Rich

the problem is though, since Amtrak takes federal funding, the argument is laying such that they should not be allowed to restrict a person from checking a firearm to travel on the train. So, the posted property rule woudl go out the window, IMHO.

the problem is though, since Amtrak takes federal funding, the argument is laying such that they should not be allowed to restrict a person from checking a firearm to travel on the train. So, the posted property rule woudl go out the window, IMHO.

BostonAsphalt... with all due respect... I am fearful that someone might read your post and assume that they are good to go bringing a firearm on an Amtrak train.

Sure... maybe the charges get tossed... after an arrest by Amtrak security, lots of legal fees and a damaged reputation. Or worse... maybe they don't get tossed.

I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I suspect you're in the same boat. I've been around the block long enough to know that the law often does not work as I expect.

Let's be careful when postulating about legal situations. I don't imagine you'd want someone to end up in a miserable situation because they took your thoughts as gospel.

And thanks for posting, 'cause I know you meant well.

Best,

Rich

Take the bus

Greyhound policy: No firearms or ammo in baggage.

However, no one checks and you are responsible for handling your own bagagge except loading and unloading.

Personally, I despise all forms of mass transit and do my level best to not use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
BostonAsphalt... with all due respect... I am fearful that someone might read your post and assume that they are good to go bringing a firearm on an Amtrak train.

Sure... maybe the charges get tossed... after an arrest by Amtrak security, lots of legal fees and a damaged reputation. Or worse... maybe they don't get tossed.

I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I suspect you're in the same boat. I've been around the block long enough to know that the law often does not work as I expect.

Let's be careful when postulating about legal situations. I don't imagine you'd want someone to end up in a miserable situation because they took your thoughts as gospel.

Best,

Rich

my post never once recommended someone take their firearm onto an amtrak train, but rather what the argument is for the movement for it being allowed is.

Greyhound policy: No firearms or ammo in baggage.

However, no one checks and you are responsible for handling your own bagagge except loading and unloading.

Personally, I despise all forms of mass transit and do my level best to not use them.

this

[grin]

Why because they take federal funding?

You can't bring a gun into the Post Office and that's federally funded. Nor can you bring one into a Federal Courthouse.

"Amtrak security," you mean Amtrak Federal Inter-state Jurisdiction POLICE.
I worked around the Amtrak Police and I would not test them. They take passenger and equipment safety seriously. I have been out on the gauge when they have come around for ID checks. I have seen them through out junkies and zombies out of train tunnels. Also, they have EOD dogs, which I guess could be trained to pick up GSR. They are no joke.

Best,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom