• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms "at the ready" at home - questions.

Firstly, I moved from MA to TX a few months ago, and I am aware of the struggle many of you are fighting with the recent actions by the MA AG. Please accept my best wishes and goodwill in your fight to restore the rights that were taken from you!

Now for my question...

In Texas, I have the option to store firearms in my home in a manner I see fit (be it locked up, not locked up, loaded, etc...) There is liability if someone (especially a child) accesses one of your firearms and hurts themselves or someone else, BUT that liability ends the moment the firearm is accessed illegally (break-in, stolen, etc...)

My wife and I do not have children in the house. We also don't often have visitors. I am debating if I want to keep firearms ready to rock stashed around the home in a few accessible, but hidden places. My concern is, what if someone breaks in and finds them? My wife and I could walk into an ambush!

What do you guys think about the pros/cons of doing this in TX (not MA)?

Quick access safes if your that worried. Under 1% of people are affected by break ins less catch the person in the act. Now I understand your concern I'm just saying even if your broken into your not likely going to see the person who does it. But in the least put guns in weird spots like the oven the washing machine places where if the person were looking. They are likely trying to kill you anyways.

When in Texas (dual resident) I keep guns at the ready and handy. In a drawer, in a tool box, in a the center console of my car. No under 18 kids involved so no legal issues. I have an alarm on my residence linked to my phone so I am not walking into something blind.

One thing to look at are the biometric gun safes - the good ones. With something like that, the swipe of a finger is all it takes to gain access. SentrySafe makes one with a gas piston inside so the door opens as soon as you swipe your finger. You can keep these inside drawers around the house if you want to. Not the cheapest option, but an option.

My personal opinion is the situation youre describing is highly unlikely to come about. Not impossible and Im sure its happened before but I'd feel comfortable playing the odds. I'd take the piece of mind that comes with having access to a loaded firearm in the time of need vs not having one at the ready due to the fear of the scenario you described. Just my opinion.

eta- I'd make sure to stash them in oddball places just to be safe. Do your best to picture where a burglar is going to look and avoid stashing something there.

Semi-unrelated but back in the day, I knew a kid who had been locked up and his cell mate was a kid who did house breaks. He said he would make a bee line for the bedroom closet and rifle through the shoes. Said people were always hiding shit there. I almost shit at the time because I used to hide cash in an old pair of workboots I kept in the closet, lol. Dude knew his stuff I guess.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that you should be wearing your pistol when at home.

+1 times a bunch [wink] If you need your weapon, the reach is "muscle memory". While it can be debated, at least I don't have to remember where I stashed a go to weapon. Hell, sometimes I can't remember where I dropped my car keys....but that's me getting old....

Jay

I'm of the opinion that you should be wearing your pistol when at home.

I like to be comfy at home so usually I'm in workout gear 24/7 unless I'm at work or getting dragged somewhere I don't wanna be lol. So I can understand not wanting to carry on u every second

Ask yourself: "Did cowboys need trigger locks and safes?"

7130856-Big-tough-cowboy-with-leather-holster-pointing-two-pistols-Stock-Photo.jpg

One thing to look at are the biometric gun safes - the good ones. With something like that, the swipe of a finger is all it takes to gain access. SentrySafe makes one with a gas piston inside so the door opens as soon as you swipe your finger. You can keep these inside drawers around the house if you want to. Not the cheapest option, but an option.

A biometric safe is a terrible option. If your finger is cut, stratched, dirty, bloody, greasy, etc., it won't open.

A biometric safe is a terrible option. If your finger is cut, stratched, dirty, bloody, greasy, etc., it won't open.

If you're going to use a pistol box or for a rifle I think a simplex lock is quick and more reliable than a biometric lock. Fort Knox makes some great simplex lock boxes.

Dood. TEXAS.

I'd have one in every room, and two in the bathroom. I likes my privacy.

My personal opinion is the situation youre describing is highly unlikely to come about. Not impossible and Im sure its happened before but I'd feel comfortable playing the odds. I'd take the piece of mind that comes with having access to a loaded firearm in the time of need vs not having one at the ready due to the fear of the scenario you described. Just my opinion.

It is not the odds that we need to be concerned about. It is what is at stake that should drive our decision making.

Like you implied, being the victim of a home invasion is very unlikely (the odds), but seeing our wives raped, children tortured and then murdered (the stakes) should not be an acceptable outcome.

I like to be comfy at home so usually I'm in workout gear 24/7 unless I'm at work or getting dragged somewhere I don't wanna be lol. So I can understand not wanting to carry on u every second

Sounds like you need a better holster. I'm not uncomfortable at all wearing mine.

Turning away from a threat that just crashed the front door in order to retrieve a firearm is not logical to me.

"Comfort" has killed and injured a lot of people over the years.

It is not the odds that we need to be concerned about. It is what is at stake that should drive our decision making.

Like you implied, being the victim of a home invasion is very unlikely (the odds), but seeing our wives raped, children tortured and then murdered (the stakes) should not be an acceptable outcome.

True. However, the op was worried about stashing guns and having them found and used against him when he came home. When I spoke of odds, I meant the collective odds of 1- the burglary, 2-them being there when he returned and 3- them using the gun they found against him vs him stashing guns around the place and having one handy when its needed. I assumed he wasnt carrying at home if he's talking about having guns stashed around. It wasnt a question of being armed vs unarmed or a home invasion happening or not, if I understand the original scenario. Fwiw, I carry at home as well.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.

True. However, the op was worried about stashing guns and having them found and used against him when he came home. When I spoke of odds, I meant the collective odds of 1- the burglary, 2-them being there when he returned and 3- them using the gun they found against him vs him stashing guns around the place and having one handy when its needed. I assumed he wasnt carrying at home if he's talking about having guns stashed around. It wasnt a question of being armed vs unarmed or a home invasion happening or not, if I understand the original scenario. Fwiw, I carry at home as well.

in my case, nosepicking can compromise ability to access firearm

- - - Updated - - -

buy an alarm system or a dog so you won't have someone waiting to ambush you

one of our dogs tells me even if an unusual car pulls up outside, door closes, any keys that don't normally pass by outside. truly amazing.

Just curious, why is it that so many of your threads ask provocative questions that seem to beg for self incriminating answers... [hmmm]

Where can I find these rail attachments...
Firearms in the safe - loaded or unloaded?
What would you do?
Where would you keep your "emergency" hand guns?
Concealed carry in a house of worship...
Firearms in the Home - MA storage laws
Is there a Constitutional provision for "grandfathering."
How many rounds is enough?
Private Sales in MA - 4 gun limit
Gen 4 Glocks in MA
Ready to rock at the home front - your thoughts?
Philosophical question - use of force
What about gun printing and concealed carry in MA?
Why are people who leave MA selling their firearms?

Is that you Martha or is it Maura? [tinfoil][laugh]

Just curious, why is it that so many of your threads ask provocative questions that seem to beg for self incriminating answers... [hmmm]

Where can I find these rail attachments...
Firearms in the safe - loaded or unloaded?
What would you do?
Where would you keep your "emergency" hand guns?
Concealed carry in a house of worship...
Firearms in the Home - MA storage laws
Is there a Constitutional provision for "grandfathering."
How many rounds is enough?
Private Sales in MA - 4 gun limit
Gen 4 Glocks in MA
Ready to rock at the home front - your thoughts?
Philosophical question - use of force
What about gun printing and concealed carry in MA?
Why are people who leave MA selling their firearms?

Is that you Martha or is it Maura? [tinfoil][laugh]

LOL...I find it laughable that you took the time to compile a summary of some of the questions I have asked in the past. Isn't it interesting how you took time to filter out some of my more innocuous and mundane questions in order to paint a negative picture. You must work for CNN? Are you really Piers Morgan?

You have way too much time on your hands and must be pretty damn spooked to do so.

My feedback score is more than double yours...meaning I have most likely done more than twice the face-to-face transactions with other NES members than you have. If I was Maura or Martha, I am pretty sure someone would have noticed by now. I am no longer a NES "paying" member as I moved to TX and opted not to renew my paid membership.

One Marine to another, take a chill pill and enjoy life a bit Devil Dog...

Last edited:
I don't understand the concern at all. Why would someone who has successfully broken into your house and has access to all your stuff, including your guns, wait around for you to come home? So they can steal your wallet and turn a burglary/theft offense into armed robbery? No, they're going to get out of there as fast as possible with all the stuff they can carry. And if you come home while they're in the act they are going to run the other way.

I live in VA now, and like you I have no storage requirements, no children in the house, and few visitors. I keep guns that I am not wearing loaded, accessible, and for the most part, hidden.

LOL...I find it laughable that you took the time to compile a summary of some of the questions I have asked in the past. Isn't it interesting how you took time to filter out some of my more innocuous and mundane questions in order to paint a negative picture. You must work for CNN? Are you really Piers Morgan?

You have way too much time on your hands and must be pretty damn spooked to do so.

My feedback score is more than double yours...meaning I have most likely done more than twice the face-to-face transactions with other NES members than you have. If I was Maura or Martha, I am pretty sure someone would have noticed by now. I am no longer a NES "paying" member as I moved to TX and opted not to renew my paid membership.

One Marine to another, take a chill pill and enjoy life a bit Devil Dog...

Interesting, I was just making an observation. Sadly in composing your response, you seemed to have missed my [laugh] after my [tinfoil]in my reply. Since you brought it up, I mentioned 15 of the 44 threads you started, over 33%, not much "filtering" was needed. Compiling the list doesn't take any time at all if you know what you are doing. Spooked? Like scary clown spooked? Not at all. About your feedback score, it is interesting that you were the seller in almost all of the transactions, but you never seemed to have posted any threads selling anything. Glad you are one of the good guys. [cheers]

Nah, I really don't care. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom