• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

finished another cannon!

another north american cannon completed! :)
3rd one I've completed this year. this one took me about 3 months (part-time)
crafted with a 2A theme in support of the 2nd Amendment ;)
over 50 individual parts- all but 12 are handmade.

details:

barrel = C360 brass, 14" x 3.75" with a 2" bore.
8 gauge dovetailed breech-loader / firing pin with manually operated hinged brass hammer, 1.25" brass trunnion blocks & trunnions with stainless trunnion tension thumb screws and featuring a serial # "bullet" inlay.

carriage = solid maple carriage, wheels and truss. port side featuring 2nd Amendment quote inlay with Commemorative Minuteman copper coin. Port side wheel inlay quote "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" in a 4-spoke wheel. starboard side featuring an engraved "ghost" flag, a commemorative 2nd Amendment copper coin and a wheel inlay quote "RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS" in a 4-spoke wheel. both rear wheels feature the greek phrase "MOLON LABE" (come and take them)
😉
3/4" brass axle with stainless accents. overall weight is about 35-40 lbs.

here's an 8 sec viddy of the first test shot- was flawless and rattled the windows! turn your volume up!
😆

Attachments

• 2A parts.jpg
    2A parts.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 77
  • nac1.jpg
    nac1.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 75
  • nac 12.jpg
    nac 12.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 67
  • nac 11.jpg
    nac 11.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 66
  • nac 10.jpg
    nac 10.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 73
  • nac 9.jpg
    nac 9.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 76
  • nac 8.jpg
    nac 8.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 77
  • nac 6.jpg
    nac 6.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 74
  • nac 5.jpg
    nac 5.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 74
  • nac 4.jpg
    nac 4.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
What is the range of this cannon?
Well, as the business owner making & selling them working from a home shop- and keeping liability & legal issues in mind, and keeping in tune with all the disclaimers / warnings on my cannon website- I can't say what the distance you'd get with a projectile- like a golf ball would be ...... but I can say I was told by a complete stranger once that he knew a person who attended a beach party where one of the guests claimed to have launched a golf ball across the water and hit the shore nearly a mile away. ;) ;)

No body needs a canon. You weren't allowed to own that when the second amendment was written.

Was that a kit? Where do I get one?
no sir- i build them by hand. this one is available... I will send you a private message.
I'm in the process of registering for a Dealer account here at NES- but don't want to break any forum rules by posting items for sale yet- ;)

another north american cannon completed! :)
3rd one I've completed this year. this one took me about 3 months (part-time)
crafted with a 2A theme in support of the 2nd Amendment ;)
over 50 individual parts- all but 12 are handmade.

details:

barrel = C360 brass, 14" x 3.75" with a 2" bore.
8 gauge dovetailed breech-loader / firing pin with manually operated hinged brass hammer, 1.25" brass trunnion blocks & trunnions with stainless trunnion tension thumb screws and featuring a serial # "bullet" inlay.

carriage = solid maple carriage, wheels and truss. port side featuring 2nd Amendment quote inlay with Commemorative Minuteman copper coin. Port side wheel inlay quote "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" in a 4-spoke wheel. starboard side featuring an engraved "ghost" flag, a commemorative 2nd Amendment copper coin and a wheel inlay quote "RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS" in a 4-spoke wheel. both rear wheels feature the greek phrase "MOLON LABE" (come and take them)
😉
3/4" brass axle with stainless accents. overall weight is about 35-40 lbs.

here's an 8 sec viddy of the first test shot- was flawless and rattled the windows! turn your volume up!
😆

I am in for 1, exactly the same. 😜

I like… kinda wish I had a cannon to leave outside on the farm… Avoid having to transport it.

My neighbors would love that.. Perfect excuse to get my Cannonier’s license

I admire these classic cannon builders- they really nail authentic detail and create some nice pieces. steen builds full scale replicas- i build 1/4 scale contemporary "salute" cannons. the largest I've built so far is this Italian "remembrance" cannon i did in honor of my Italian grandparents. it's a good 100 lbs, the barrel is about 20" long x 5" wide at the trunnions- 1 5/8" bore with walnut carriage, Italian silver coin inlay at the muzzle and center of barrel (coins dated with their birth dates) i have some minor details to finish on it and some engraving to do on the barrel still... i made the mistake of lighting this on my deck- 7' from the railing, and it still blew apart and splintered 2 balusters with just the pressure wave! (yeah, wife was NOT amused) this is about the largest I can make with my 1340 lathe and mill.

Attachments

• 20211114_192514.jpg
    20211114_192514.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211114_192054.jpg
    20211114_192054.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211114_191903.jpg
    20211114_191903.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211114_191853.jpg
    20211114_191853.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211114_191843.jpg
    20211114_191843.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211114_191812.jpg
    20211114_191812.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211114_191726.jpg
    20211114_191726.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211114_190940.jpg
    20211114_190940.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211114_192546.jpg
    20211114_192546.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 19
Is it because it’s in a 8 gauge? Sounds more and more appealing every time I read about it and look at it
I should clarify- the ATF does not require you to have any license to buy or fire a salute cannon per 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3): (3) - the words "salute" or "signal" are very relevent terms here- terms that identify the cannon as a small-scale replica that's not commercially made to fire projectiles. i spell it out here on my legal page- https://northamericancannon.com/legal - that being said, states can impose their own regulations beyond that of the ATF. but there's quite a spread of product under "cannon" - if memory serves me correct- (i'll need to verify this) a cannonier's license is required when you plan on firing projectiles or when recreating large reenactments and using large scale cannons. I live in Nh, where things are a bit more lose ;) but I don't believe any state requires any license to buy or fire (non-projectile) a signal / salute cannon. I had to file for my class 7 FFL (firearms manufacturer license) to make and sell breech loading cannons that accepts commercially available cartridges and loads via breech with a firing pin. So, your state may require a license to buy the shells. if I had simply made a muzzle-loading cannon with fuse breech, no FFL required. Was actually funny- when the ATF field agent came to my house for the initial inspection (she covers mass and nh) she was even unsure of the legalities of making a breech loading cannon. we had to do some research. In any case- on a state level, I don't believe you need any special license to fire a signal cannon (sans projectile) and aside from following noise regulations in your town, I don't even have to do a background check if you buy one... If I'm wrong, please correct me. I cherish any knowledge i come across in regards to this subject. ;)

I should clarify- the ATF does not require you to have any license to buy or fire a salute cannon per 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3): (3) - the words "salute" or "signal" are very relevent terms here- terms that identify the cannon as a small-scale replica that's not commercially made to fire projectiles. i spell it out here on my legal page- https://northamericancannon.com/legal - that being said, states can impose their own regulations beyond that of the ATF. but there's quite a spread of product under "cannon" - if memory serves me correct- (i'll need to verify this) a cannonier's license is required when you plan on firing projectiles or when recreating large reenactments and using large scale cannons. I live in Nh, where things are a bit more lose ;) but I don't believe any state requires any license to buy or fire (non-projectile) a signal / salute cannon. I had to file for my class 7 FFL (firearms manufacturer license) to make and sell breech loading cannons that accepts commercially available cartridges and loads via breech with a firing pin. So, your state may require a license to buy the shells. if I had simply made a muzzle-loading cannon with fuse breech, no FFL required. Was actually funny- when the ATF field agent came to my house for the initial inspection (she covers mass and nh) she was even unsure of the legalities of making a breech loading cannon. we had to do some research. In any case- on a state level, I don't believe you need any special license to fire a signal cannon (sans projectile) and aside from following noise regulations in your town, I don't even have to do a background check if you buy one... If I'm wrong, please correct me. I cherish any knowledge i come across in regards to this subject. ;)
Thanks I’ll check out your page… I think my question at this point would be what’s makes a cannon not a destructive device under federal law.. Maybe because it’s not a handheld weapon? I have to look into it it’s been years either way you’re doing some really cool stuff.

If I had a Cannon I definitely be shooting projectiles

I love that stainless swivel gun you make. Really beautiful work.

Thanks I’ll check out your page… I think my question at this point would be what’s makes a cannon not a destructive device under federal law.. Maybe because it’s not a handheld weapon? I have to look into it it’s been years either way you’re doing some really cool stuff.

If I had a Cannon I definitely be shooting projectiles
under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3): (3) salute cannons are a signaling device, not a destructive device.

under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3): (3) salute cannons are a signaling device, not a destructive device.
Like I said if I’m shooting a cannon it’s going to have projectiles… Not a big deal if I just have to pay $200 tax

Back
Top Bottom