• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finding A Pre-Maura Ma Compliant AR Platform

Why though?

Because the law is the law and her edict is not. There is nothing preventing anyone from going out tomorrow, buying a brand new stripped lower, building it and putting a complete upper on it. There are dealers that will sell you a stripped lower, for normal prices and you don't need to spend a ton of extra money for preban or pre edict lowers.

Because the law is the law and her edict is not. There is nothing preventing anyone from going out tomorrow, buying a brand new stripped lower, building it and putting a complete upper on it. There are dealers that will sell you a stripped lower, for normal prices and you don't need to spend a ton of extra money for preban or pre edict lowers.
Thank you. That is it exactly.

Guys,"Preban" DOES NOT have anything to do with the Healey edict. It means, very specifically, Pre-1994, as in actually before the codified assault weapons ban.

Spending the extra bit of money for a true preban vs pre-2016 is worth it, because pre-2016 is way overpriced and is just as illegal as post-2016 builds, according to the AG's office. Post-2016 is a reasonable budget option, but preban allows you to do whatever you want and also has much less risk of spending your life savings on defending yourself in court for a BS charge, even if Healey's edict isn't actually law.

Last edited:
Guys,"Preban" DOES NOT have anything to do with the Healey edict. It means, very specifically, Pre-1994, as in actually before the codified assault weapons ban.

Spending the extra bit of money for a true preban vs pre-2016 is worth it, because pre-2016 is way overpriced and is just as illegal as post-2016 builds, according to the AG's office. Post-2016 is a reasonable budget option, but preban allows you to do whatever you want and also has much less risk of spending your life savings on defending yourself in court for a BS charge, even if Healey's edict isn't actually law.

Neither one has any realistic risk of court, let's try to be serious. Preban is a way to go if you feel like you must have the banned features, but if you do not need those then spending huge money for something you can get for much much less is silly. The edict is not law, period. Nobody is being prosecuted, nobody is going to be prosecuted. Stay within the actual law as written and you are fine. Pre 2016 stuff is overpriced for no reason, we agree there. But normal priced stuff that is post 94 is not in any way going to get you in trouble, and fear mongering about it is ridiculous.

I’m so sick of seeing this crap.
You want a full LMT MA lower with TacCon drop in and paperwork PM me your offer.
Walk the walk or talk the talk.
If you’re a chicken hauler then I’ll include the full upper AND the ACOG.

I’m so sure of myself I’ll have a replacement by the end of the month.

Neither one has any realistic risk of court, let's try to be serious. Preban is a way to go if you feel like you must have the banned features, but if you do not need those then spending huge money for something you can get for much much less is silly. The edict is not law, period. Nobody is being prosecuted, nobody is going to be prosecuted. Stay within the actual law as written and you are fine. Pre 2016 stuff is overpriced for no reason, we agree there. But normal priced stuff that is post 94 is not in any way going to get you in trouble, and fear mongering about it is ridiculous.
This! f*** the preban (pre-1994) stuff unless you really want to have a collapsible stock, flash suppressor, bayo lug etc. Spend the $50ish on a new stripped lower and build away. Silly to be spending $300-$500 or more on preban lowers IMO. Unless you’re that paranoid about the Healey press release.

Nobody is being prosecuted until some poor sap has a red flag put on them and the cops seize their guns.

I have faith that it wouldn't stick in court, because you're right that her edict isn't law. But that doesn't mean someone's life wouldn't be turned upside down.

Anyway though, if you read my post, I agree that pre-2016 ARs are overpriced and that post-2016 are a viable option if you're willing to assume the risk. But I still maintain that prebans are worth the money. Not just the features, but the peace of mind. Even pre-2016s still have some risk of malicious prosecution by the State if they're found during a red flag grab.

Nobody is being prosecuted until some poor sap has a red flag put on them and the cops seize their guns.

I have faith that it wouldn't stick in court, because you're right that her edict isn't law. But that doesn't mean someone's life wouldn't be turned upside down.

Anyway though, if you read my post, I agree that pre-2016 ARs are overpriced and that post-2016 are a viable option if you're willing to assume the risk. But I still maintain that prebans are worth the money. Not just the features, but the peace of mind. Even pre-2016s still have some risk of malicious prosecution by the State if they're found during a red flag grab.

Prebans are good for having access to all the features, other than that nothing matters. Which other laws that don't exist are you worried about them prosecuting you under? Have an SKS? I have it on good authority a DA tried to call it an assault weapon that held 11 rounds. How about pre ban mags, are you going to use nothing but 10 rounders because some clueless cop or DA might try to nail you on it? Maybe they will find some pool chemicals in your house and call it bomb making materials and send you to gitmo? I mean try to be realistic. At any time the state can screw you for any or no reason, but unless you want to live in your basement, never leave and only have food and water in your house you are always at risk. That risk is incredibly low, but hey it's about the same risk of getting prosecuted for having a post 94 AR.

And while we are at it, what makes you think these idiot DAs are going to let you slide because you say your stuff is preban? That sounds like a defense to their charges of (Insert law that doesn't exist here) and you might get ruined with legal fees defending yourself. That is just as likely as them coming after you for any of the other stuff you seem to be afraid of. Be scared if you like, but don't spread that as if it is real info and not just paranoia.

Prebans are good for having access to all the features, other than that nothing matters. Which other laws that don't exist are you worried about them prosecuting you under? Have an SKS? I have it on good authority a DA tried to call it an assault weapon that held 11 rounds. How about pre ban mags, are you going to use nothing but 10 rounders because some clueless cop or DA might try to nail you on it? Maybe they will find some pool chemicals in your house and call it bomb making materials and send you to gitmo? I mean try to be realistic. At any time the state can screw you for any or no reason, but unless you want to live in your basement, never leave and only have food and water in your house you are always at risk. That risk is incredibly low, but hey it's about the same risk of getting prosecuted for having a post 94 AR.

And while we are at it, what makes you think these idiot DAs are going to let you slide because you say your stuff is preban? That sounds like a defense to their charges of (Insert law that doesn't exist here) and you might get ruined with legal fees defending yourself. That is just as likely as them coming after you for any of the other stuff you seem to be afraid of. Be scared if you like, but don't spread that as if it is real info and not just paranoia.

Okay. You do realize I said a post-2016 was a good budget option if one was willing to take the risk, right? Whatever though. There's always risk as a gun owner in MA, and there are risk mitigation options. You do you with your own personal risk assessment.

SgtHal75- I am seeking answers to questions that affect ME. Many members of this forum, myself included are hesitant to post due to a few on here who try to ridicule and poke fun of posters who are just looking for information. It can make a good forum feel downright unfriendly. You can go away now.
To those of you who gave me good and very helpful information-Thank you very much. I have all of the Pre-Healy information that I need.
Maura knows where she stands and I know where I stand. Two very different places.

the AG's edict has nothing to do with Uppers, those rules haven't changed.
One way to get an upper that's un-neutered is to get a 14.5" upper, they typically come with the muzzle device welded on already to make the barrel 16" for NFA compliance. (So it's not an SBR) as long as the muzzle device is not an obvious flash suppressor like an A2 you'll be compliant.

you also get a carbine that's an inch or so shorter.

Im simple and boring ,
i doubt I will ever need a bayonet mount , if so i will have to use the M1 Garand as its the only US rifle I,have a bayonet for.
Short stock- I,have the RRA entry lengh.
flash hider? For what? I prefer my rifles have good old crowns.
Pre 94 ban ARs do have thier place and those are grand dads old guns in the free states. Unless of course it has some collector value. Which for me not many do. Unless you have the box with all the accesories still in the bags.

He's right. The proper vernacular is "pre-Healey". always address a state level, or any professional by their last name, and don't forget to capitalize the first letter of the name. Its good for their sense of self worth.
I usually just go with Thunderc*** or Herr Fuhrer, I think the latter fits quite well.

Back
Top Bottom