Finally shot my SKS... You SKS guys are a buncha jerks!

I kid, I kid.

I bought an SKS over the winter and fell in love with it just on principle. And I did a little homework and learned that people really love the gun for some reason..

I finally shot mine yesterday.. it's.. awesome...

Why the hell did you SKS guys not make a bigger deal about these things?! I should have like.. 9 or 10 of them by now!!

Great gun. Norinco SKS was my first rifle I bought a few years ago. Hasn't been shot in a while since I got my AK but I highly doubt I'll ever sell it.

Everyone should own an SKS or five.

I've said in plenty of other threads recently that if you don't own a rifle you should buy an SKS and stockpile some ammo. It's one of the cheapest rifles to to shoot right now.

I owned one 15 years ago and didn't like it cuz I'm an accuracy nut. I would love one if it would hold 2" at 100y. So, my dumb question is, is it possible to build up a match grade SKS?

I owned one 15 years ago and didn't like it cuz I'm an accuracy nut. I would love one if it would hold 2" at 100y. So, my dumb question is, is it possible to build up a match grade SKS?

i say anything's possible if you've got enough money. thicker barrel would surely go a long way.

i do not love SKS either. it's an OK gun but i prefer AK.

Everyone should own an SKS or five.

I've said in plenty of other threads recently that if you don't own a rifle you should buy an SKS and stockpile some ammo. It's one of the cheapest rifles to to shoot right now.

Yep. Make a trip up to Collectable Arms and grab a case of golden tiger x39 for $250.

Did you hit any targets?

[wink]

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I've got 6 because I could give one of these loaded to a newbie and they'd be on target within the 10 rounds loaded. They are simply shooting machines. You can't go wrong with them. So what if they have a grenade launcher or not. I've got both and they all shoot great. I also have shot grenades off mine and talk about fun! Still they are 100% bonefide battle rifles many right off the fields and they are accurate and they are easy to maintain. What more could you ask?? Sue, the Garand is fantastic but it doesn't cost $275 and the ammo is cheap.

Rome

I've got 6 because I could give one of these loaded to a newbie and they'd be on target within the 10 rounds loaded. They are simply shooting machines. You can't go wrong with them. So what if they have a grenade launcher or not. I've got both and they all shoot great. I also have shot grenades off mine and talk about fun! Still they are 100% bonefide battle rifles many right off the fields and they are accurate and they are easy to maintain. What more could you ask?? Sue, the Garand is fantastic but it doesn't cost $275 and the ammo is cheap.

Rome

You have SKS for $275?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

You have to understand, I've been collecting for quite a while. Back in the "day" we would buy these as "2-fers". Buy one for $250 and get a second free. Same for MAS 49/56. They were EVERYWHERE and if you had a C&R you were golden. My collecting credit card is still warm. Interestingly enough, when the SKS was first introduced to the US some guys paid up to $1200 for an example. They were rare. When the flood gates opened, however, they were like give away. The Albanians were especially cheap.

Rome

Did you hit any targets?

[wink]

Hah. Ironically I did.. and I (literally) don't have sights on it. I have a couple AKs, but my AK in 7.62.. crap.. if my target is "that way", I'll hit it 50% of the time. Maybe. It's silly. The SKS.. I guessed where the rear sight blade should be and it hit the same spot with reasonable succession.

But I bought it for those times when I want to watch things explode and not cost me a fortune. Which is why I bought the AK.. but it's too ornery to actually hit things I want to explode.

My biggest complaint about the SKS so far is the stock, which was finished by some Yugoslavian beavers, clearly being paid piecemeal, kept grabbing my delicate facial hair and forcibly removing it.

I kid, I kid.

I bought an SKS over the winter and fell in love with it just on principle. And I did a little homework and learned that people really love the gun for some reason..

Why the hell did you SKS guys not make a bigger deal about these things?! I should have like.. 9 or 10 of them by now!!

what model? I LOVE MY YUGO 59/66

I kid, I kid.

You're welcome. ;)

I've had up to 7 SKSs. Then I think, what the hell do I need all of these for? Then I sell them to buy something else and end up buying more SKSs. WTF is wrong with me?

SKS's are sick for sure. I havent shot mine for years, been thinking about bringing it out.

Always a shit show trying to remember how to field strip. AK's spoiled me [rofl]

I should have bought 9 or 10 when I picked up mine for $99 at the Marlboro show in 1988, 1000 round of steel core chi com ammo, $99 as well.

That gentlemen was the good old days.

I put a $20 cover scope mount and a $40 4x fixed russkie scope on mine and hold 2" at 100 with cheap ammo off a rest all day long. I spent an insane amount of time polishing up the trigger and it is still pretty rough

My first center fire rifle was a Russian sks. It was the only thing I could afford when I was 18. Purchased @ kittery with a free case of corrosive ammo. Still have it.

I'd like to make one suggestion regarding sights. A long while back, one of the fellas who posted a lot on another forum developed a new sight for the SKS. The weakest part of the SKS is the sight system although it's a lot better than the old mausers but close in it's design. The fella started a company called "Tech Sights". http://www.tech-sights.com/ No, I don't have any association or anything to do with them but they are the ONLY sight you can retro onto an SKS that isn't permanent and makes a really important improvement. You can literally discount every other sight for an SKS other than these. They look just like the Garand peep sights. That's where he got his inspiration. I can tell you from ones I've handled that they will make your rifle a tack driver if you can use iron peeps. Amazing different and they are portable and don't require any type of machining or anything else. Just slap 'em on. Just a suggestion.

Rome

Only thing I hate about the sks is with colddayinhell's I trip the bolt loading it and squish my thumb.

LOL.

Don't hit the follower.

SKS's are sick for sure. I havent shot mine for years, been thinking about bringing it out.
Always a shit show trying to remember how to field strip. AK's spoiled me [rofl]

I love cleaning mine. x39 or punch behind the trigger assembly, rest falls out and tilt upper receiver arm thingy. [laugh]

Last edited:
Remember it is nothing more than an outdated, quickly replaced rifle.[wink]

Yugo for mine, with golf ball launcher?

Back
Top Bottom