Field Grades are Back

Join garand collectors association or goal and send in receipt by email.
Club affiliation good for a year at that point.
I used my GOAL card on the order I just sent, I expire in April. I'll renew of course, I'll just have to provide a copy of the new card or a receipt. That said, I do think I'll going GCA too.

I was thinking a FG would be the best route to an unlimited build, given what stripped receivers are selling for. Strip and sell what I don't need. Thoughts? Anything I should request on a sticky?

I was thinking a FG would be the best route to an unlimited build, given what stripped receivers are selling for. Strip and sell what I don't need. Thoughts? Anything I should request on a sticky?

I don't know if it's the best route. If your going unlimited class you want some really nice fitting parts.
Figure your going to replace the stock and barrel from the onset.
Figure you want a like new gas cylinder and open rod.
But yes a field grade for 630$ is probably one of the cheaper options to get a receiver.
Pray the bolt and receiver are not to worn so you can get a nice chamber fit and lap the bolt to receiver.
I'm still looking for a doner rifle for my 308 build...still on the fence of doing a National Mac 308.

Are laminated stocks allowed in unlimited?

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with the trigger job on my Special- I'd possibly order another $40 CMP trigger job and be good with that. The trigger job on the Special is good enough that it's never a reason I'm messing up my shots.

Right about the GC and op rod. Yep, stock and barrel first to go but depending upon what I get, I'd get some money back from those.

Requests on a sticky...hmm NM op rod? NM upper hand guard set up!

I'm quite happy with the trigger job on my Special- I'd possibly order another $40 CMP trigger job and be good with that. The trigger job on the Special is good enough that it's never a reason I'm messing up my shots.

Right about the GC and op rod. Yep, stock and barrel first to go but depending upon what I get, I'd get some money back from those.

I,know you want to build yourself but maybe a call to the custom shop to see if they will do a National Match build up...yes you still need to buy a FG and you could have all removed parts when done.
I'm just not sure what you would get for field grade parts.

I,know you want to build yourself but maybe a call to the custom shop to see if they will do a National Match build up...yes you still need to buy a FG and you could have all removed parts when done.
I'm just not sure what you would get for field grade parts.

Not a bad idea... They could at least install and headspace a barrel. Maybe bed a stock? I think their rates are reasonable.

Anyway, at first I thought it was nice that the FG's were available but no interest. After seeing what receivers are going for, might make sense.

Not a bad idea... They could at least install and headspace a barrel. Maybe bed a stock? I think their rates are reasonable.

Anyway, at first I thought it was nice that the FG's were available but no interest. After seeing what receivers are going for, might make sense.

Yes and it will come in at a,better price that national match armory and or Fulton.
Although a club member over at Hanson just received his fulton armory enhanced service rifle in 308 @ 2600$ and bought his son the expensive M1a heavy Krieger barrel. Full blown service rifle national match for 4500$
Both look really nice...I have not heard a range report for the M1a but a little feedback from the M1 from another club member is his first 20 rounds after zeroing where 10s and Xs on the SR 1 target with about a 3moa spread with HXP...and then banned out a few sub 2MOA 8 round groups with ease with FGMM.? Worth it? Can only shoot in either service rifle or match Rifle if he competes.
Don't know what the son will do with M1a , never met him.

Other than the popular books out there on collecting I just poke around the forums.
I'm not interested in rare or valuable parts. I want to shoot my rifles. I will sell off any "high" priced part to fund other interest.

Other than the popular books out there on collecting I just poke around the forums.
I'm not interested in rare or valuable parts. I want to shoot my rifles. I will sell off any "high" priced part to fund other interest.
I would do the same. I just need be able to tell what I've got first. Is it a lot of work to get yourself a matching (as in manufacturer) rifle? Like converting a mixmaster to have parts all from the same manufacturer. I'm guessing people/sell trade.

Those madmen already sent a shipping notification on the HXP.

Is it a lot of work to get yourself a matching (as in manufacturer) rifle? Like converting a mixmaster to have parts all from the same manufacturer. I'm guessing people/sell trade.

You could easily make an all Springfield or even all HRA rifle. Winchester or IHC, you'd need deeper pockets.

For any given SN range there are specific part numbers and even heat lots one must use to make the rifle "correct".

For example a late war SA would feature the original barrel, NFR stock, -9 op rod, -19 bolt, type 3 lock bars, trigger guard with milled hook, wide base GC with the punch mark, etc etc etc. This is referred to as correcting a rifle. There is a lot more to just throwing any SA part on it and calling it a day. IMO, just doing that and you would still have a mixmaster.

The value of any corrected rifle simply becomes the sum of it's parts. For a shooter, it's not worth it. I went the opposite route, my shooter has parts from all 4 manufacturers on it just for fun.

You could easily make an all Springfield or even all HRA rifle. Winchester or IHC, you'd need deeper pockets.

For any given SN range there are specific part numbers and even heat lots one must use to make the rifle "correct".

For example a late war SA would feature the original barrel, NFR stock, -9 op rod, -19 bolt, type 3 lock bars, trigger guard with milled hook, wide base GC with the punch mark, etc etc etc. This is referred to as correcting a rifle. There is a lot more to just throwing any SA part on it and calling it a day. IMO, just doing that and you would still have a mixmaster.

The value of any corrected rifle simply becomes the sum of it's parts. For a shooter, it's not worth it. I went the opposite route, my shooter has parts from all 4 manufacturers on it just for fun.
I don't think I'd mess with them. Having a little of each is kind of cool too. The longer the wait the more bad ideas I'm going to come up with.

Sort of where I'm at. I never bought any garand thinking of correctness
I like the garand for the machine it is and I like to shoot them. The few some what valuable parts I have come across over the years I have sold off.
Most recent was in the wrap M1d cone flash hinder. Got 200$ for it. I know I would never use it and much rather a collector have it.
Winchester rifle I sold years ago....yeah I could have held on to it for 10 years and maybe sold it for more...but I more than doubled my money then...
When I built my rifle to use in matches I used the best parts from 5 rifles...
That was interesting as I realised I never really "inspected" 2 rifles that closely and had some early SA and IHC parts I was able to sell and basically get 2 replacement parts for 1.
I never really know what parts are valued at.
Like the late HRA stock I have. Not a clue seen one on eBay for 350$ if I can get 350$ for it it's gone.

Sort of where I'm at. I never bought any garand thinking of correctness
I like the garand for the machine it is and I like to shoot them. The few some what valuable parts I have come across over the years I have sold off.
Most recent was in the wrap M1d cone flash hinder. Got 200$ for it. I know I would never use it and much rather a collector have it.
Winchester rifle I sold years ago....yeah I could have held on to it for 10 years and maybe sold it for more...but I more than doubled my money then...
When I built my rifle to use in matches I used the best parts from 5 rifles...
That was interesting as I realised I never really "inspected" 2 rifles that closely and had some early SA and IHC parts I was able to sell and basically get 2 replacement parts for 1.
I never really know what parts are valued at.
Like the late HRA stock I have. Not a clue seen one on eBay for 350$ if I can get 350$ for it it's gone.
In the unlikely event I were to ever end up with anything valuable, I would try to sell it to fund more rifles. I'm really starting to think about grabbing two SGs now. It will limit my funds in the short term but almost everything else like ammo (other than HXP) isn't likely to run out anytime soon, but M1s will.

In the unlikely event I were to ever end up with anything valuable, I would try to sell it to fund more rifles. I'm really starting to think about grabbing two SGs now. It will limit my funds in the short term but almost everything else like ammo (other than HXP) isn't likely to run out anytime soon, but M1s will.

2 is nice figure cheap parts source.
I have been slowly grabbing extra parts.
Came across a lower band in a parts bin a member had on the table at breakfast..5$

Looks like majspud won the lottery on his cans, mine's rusted all over the place. Bottom has a thick layer of rust. Looks like it was buried in a river. Still, it was free.

Looks like majspud won the lottery on his cans, mine's rusted all over the place. Bottom has a thick layer of rust. Looks like it was buried in a river. Still, it was free.

Most are rough and only good for transport inside the cardboard box.

Has anyone received any of the latest field grade rifles? Seems as though opportunities are fading fast to purchase from the CMP

Only seen one. Decent WWII SA reciever late 43 typical 1950s rebuild.
Barrel dated 1955 gauges 3 and 3 . most parts are post war. Has a Winchester bolt. Other than the barrel parts finish is well worn. Stock is a SA with a ghostly shadow GHS and cannons...I'm mean it's barely visable. He says lock up is fair.
Over all a decent gun. He had not shot it yet. This would be on a LGS shelf for 1500$
I could not tell you if this came out of the crate or CMP put it together.
There where no fresh parts. The gas cyl and front sight where almost void of finish. I Like it.

Last edited:
Has anyone received any of the latest field grade rifles? Seems as though opportunities are fading fast to purchase from the CMP
dw617 had a link in post # 26 to a CMP forum thread. They appeared to be pretty good if I recall, except for reparking/pitting on the receiver. I decided that if service grades aren't back by my birthday in February, I will order a field grade for now and wait for a service grade, instead of getting two service grades (as was the plan).

A friend of mine just got one. SA receiver definitely reparked mix of parts decent walnut ser# in the 3 million range. I'm going to probably order one soon.

dw617 had a link in post # 26 to a CMP forum thread. They appeared to be pretty good if I recall, except for reparking/pitting on the receiver. I decided that if service grades aren't back by my birthday in February, I will order a field grade for now and wait for a service grade, instead of getting two service grades (as was the plan).

I personally would not wait as it looks like they will flip back and forth to what's ready. The field grades will become in available before the SG come back...then I anticipate a rush of the CMP specials....also a price increase is a possibility.
If your plan was 2 service grades I would wait. If you get a field grade now you could easily sell it if you don't like it...might even make a buck?
Personally the few M1s I sold I sold for CMP price. Bless the sellers who find the buyers that pay 1000$+ for SG.

Last edited:
I personally would not wait as it looks like they will flip back and forth to what's ready. The field grades will become in available before the SG come back...then I anticipate a rush of the CMP specials....also a price increase is a possibility.
If your plan was 2 service grades I would wait. If you get a field grade now you could easily sell it if you don't like it...might even make a buck?
Personally the few M1s I sold I sold for CMP price. Bless the sellers who find the buyers that pay 1000$+ for SG.
I had planned on one or (more likely) two service grades, but now I'm leaning towards getting a field grade for now and then deciding on one or two service grades whenever they come back. I figured if I like the field grade enough, I can add a service grade (or two if finances allow). If it seems like two service grades would be better and I don't get attached to it, I could sell the field grade down the line. Been thinking about it all day, and now I'm leaning towards mailing off a FG order on Monday. The next question would be what kind of sticky to send, since I was thinking of trying for 1 HRA and 1 SA, but if I could only have one, I'd really love a WW2 serial SA...

There are a few threads on CMP Forums re: the new batch of Field Grades. Most appear to be parts rifles with CMP re-parked receivers. The reparked receivers aren't bad. I have a match rifle built on one from when they were selling them as stripped receivers. Some guys balk at them because they are not original GI or arsenal refinished. Keep in mind, most of the rifles posted to the forums are either really bad, or really good. Likely, you will receive something in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom