Field Grades are Back

All I know is 4 weeks ago I ordered 2 spam cans of HXP and 8 days later they were on my doorstep. Not sure if that is the current wait time but it was quick when I ordered a month ago.
My guesses are:
a.) they got an influx of orders (schemingbunny surmised this as well above)
b.) the holidays are coming, which can cause vacations/slower shipping
c.) they are padding the times to reduce expectations

I'm guessing it's a combination of those three. Not a big deal for me since the 30-06 can will just sit with my other ammo cans for the foreseeable future, whenever it arrives.

While you wait you can pick up a few things.
Nice Ron Brown or Turner sling.
A few web slings would not hurt either.
Maybe a Orion 7 spring kit with extractor and maybe firing pin.

Some enbloc's

M10 or and garand combination tool.

While you wait you can pick up a few things.
Nice Ron Brown or Turner sling.
A few web slings would not hurt either.
Are Turner/Brown about equal in quality? I was familiar with the Turner ones but the Ron Brown ones look nice too

Are Turner/Brown about equal in quality? I was familiar with the Turner ones but the Ron Brown ones look nice too

I can't say one is better than the other.
My 2 turners are more pliable than my ron Brown but that's really a non issue.
I actually like the stiffer sling...quality wise they look to be the same in over all construction.

I can't say one is better than the other.
My 2 turners are more pliable than my ron Brown but that's really a non issue.
I actually like the stiffer sling...quality wise they look to be the same in over all construction.

I owned a Turner Second once... It was OK. But then I got a Ron Brown sling and never looked back. Made the Turner look like a POS (which I since sold). Maybe other turner models are better? Ron and his wife Linda are good people who will provide personalized service. A few months back I bought 3 more RB slings.

I just filled out the order form for a field grade and changed my mind while signing my name. I'm about a week away (if the forum posts are any indicator) from receiving my 'case added' on my service grade order and I think if anything I'll start looking for the unicorn of the receiver collection...a WWII Winchester.

thus far i have a 1944 Springfield, an IHC w/LMR and am hoping they oblige my request for an H&R w/GI wood from my most recent order. My grandfather worked at H&R on Park Ave in Worcester post WWII when he go out of the air force (he served a tour in Africa with the US Army at the beginning of the war fighting Rommel and then joined the US Navy and did a tour in the South Pacific as a steam fitter on a destroyer). it'd be kind of neat to put my hands on an H&R knowing that he may have had it in his hands at some point. far fetched, i know...but that's what i love about these old rifles...you just never know!

Just out of curiosity--for those who have made "special requests" in their orders, where did you indicate this? When I filled out the paperwork I didn't see anywhere to indicate this, presumably since they state "luck of the draw" on the website.

I was planning to ask for WW2 Springfield receiver whenever I send the M1 order. Do you just write up a separate note and toss it in with the paperwork?

Anyone mind chiming in on stocks? Is it a matter of correctness/coolness factor on USGI, at the risk of maybe getting one in rougher shape?

Just out of curiosity--for those who have made "special requests" in their orders, where did you indicate this? When I filled out the paperwork I didn't see anywhere to indicate this, presumably since they state "luck of the draw" on the website.

I was planning to ask for WW2 Springfield receiver whenever I send the M1 order. Do you just write up a separate note and toss it in with the paperwork?

Anyone mind chiming in on stocks? Is it a matter of correctness/coolness factor on USGI, at the risk of maybe getting one in rougher shape?

i put a sticky note right on the order (post it note pad)
1st order for a WWII dated reciever , got it
2nd for a H&R , got it
3rd for a H&R with new wood and LMR barrel, got it but the LMR barrel i got did not live up to its "legend" it was a 7moa shooter no matter what I did...
Does this mean you will get what you put on the sticky....no not really.
If the people in the office filling and asigning serial numbers know the serial number dates you might get lucky..
As for USGI stocks well they look the part but honestly dont expect anything super rare CMP cherry picks the shit out of the rifles and parts. If you get a solid post war stock in good shape thats a plus.
Although i have only seen a handful of service grades come through with GI stocks since the new wood has been used.
I have on M1 that came through with a "correct" stock HRA late production rifle and stock...also found a late production HRA stock at a yard sale few years ago..

Last edited:
i put a sticky note right on the order (post it note pad)
1st order for a WWII dated reciever , got it
2nd for a H&R , got it
3rd for a H&R with new wood and LMR barrel, got it but the LMR barrel i got did not live up to its "legend" it was a 7moa shooter no matter what I did...
Does this mean you will get what you put on the sticky....no not really.
If the people in the office filling and asigning serial numbers know the serial number dates you might get lucky..
As for USGI stocks well they look the part but honestly dont expect anything super rare CMP cherry picks the shit out of the rifles and parts. If you get a solid post war stock in good shape thats a plus.
Although i have only seen a handful of service grades come through with GI stocks since the new wood has been used.
I have on M1 that came through with a "correct" stock HRA late production rifle and stock...also found a late production HRA stock at a yard sale few years ago..
Sounds good. I don't think I'll bother asking about a stock if SGs typically are new wood. The receiver would be most meaningful to me. Depending on the wait time, it's getting increasingly tempting to save for one of each (Springfield/H&R). It would be pretty special to get a receiver dated to my grandfather's deployment month/year or something like that, but any WW2 dated one would be great.

Sounds good. I don't think I'll bother asking about a stock if SGs typically are new wood. The receiver would be most meaningful to me. Depending on the wait time, it's getting increasingly tempting to save for one of each (Springfield/H&R). It would be pretty special to get a receiver dated to my grandfather's deployment month/year or something like that, but any WW2 dated one would be great.

all i can say is try a sticky you may or may not get it.... if you dont try your sure not to get it.
there are always a few M1s for sale on the cmp forums with known "manufactures" I know a few guys who buy 4 or 5 each year and see what they get. Sometimes they find parts they need for other rifles.
they then sell off the rifles they dont want ....yes they do mark them up but everyone does as far as I can see.

Here is the sticky you should use, which is guaranteed to work

"2 million range SA receiver with original finish and barrel. Chamber in white and pads dark. ME and TE under 2, please. Lock bar sights. For a stock, a nicely marked GAW. And while you're at it, a -6 uncut op rod. Thanks CMP!"

all i can say is try a sticky you may or may not get it.... if you dont try your sure not to get it.
there are always a few M1s for sale on the cmp forums with known "manufactures" I know a few guys who buy 4 or 5 each year and see what they get. Sometimes they find parts they need for other rifles.
they then sell off the rifles they dont want ....yes they do mark them up but everyone does as far as I can see.
I just figured nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you order two, do they fill them simultaneously or do you likely end up receiving them different days? The only way I see myself placing a double order is if it's a ways down the road, like late spring or during the summer before they open orders again.

Ammo is going right out. I ordered two cans at midnight last night and they'll be here Friday.

T
Interesting. I sent my maiden order yesterday and USPS tracking says the packet should arrive at the CMP tomorrow. Maybe a Black Friday surprise? Or the week after, if I'm lucky?

"All ammunition sales are limited to 2000 rounds per caliber per member/customer per calendar year."

Q?

HOW MANY M1 RIFLES MAY I PURCHASE PER YEAR?

A.

Purchase of M1 Garand rifles is limited to twelve (8) per customer per calendar year - regardless of grades purchased.

Rifles include stripped or barreled receivers. If it has a SN, it's a rifle by CMP.
Hmm, Looks like the CMP Sales FAQ has an error in it. I believe they recently downgraded the yearly limit of rifles from 12 to 8.

Last edited:
"All ammunition sales are limited to 2000 rounds per caliber per member/customer per calendar year."

Q?

HOW MANY M1 RIFLES MAY I PURCHASE PER YEAR?

A.

Purchase of M1 Garand rifles is limited to twelve (8) per customer per calendar year - regardless of grades purchased.

Rifles include stripped or barreled receivers. If it has a SN, it's a rifle by CMP.
Hmm, Looks like the CMP Sales FAQ has an error in it. I believe they recently downgraded the yearly limit of rifles from 12 to 8.

Don't worry they will fix it .....someday.

Just noticed a particular vendor has the Prvi Partizan (Garand) ammo in 50 cal ammo can (500 rounds) for 74 cents per round shipped. Another good option for new garand owners. The ammo can itself must be worth $15. Not to mention it's all newly made ammo/same lot etc.

Just noticed a particular vendor has the Prvi Partizan (Garand) ammo in 50 cal ammo can (500 rounds) for 74 cents per round shipped. Another good option for new garand owners. The ammo can itself must be worth $15. Not to mention it's all newly made ammo/same lot etc.

Guy at the club beats me up .....12$ for the can.

Do the CMP ones have markings on the can? Some cans I've acquired have them spray painted over, etc.

Just got my ammo DBU email, along with my customer number and estore credentials. [smile] Not as exciting as a "real" DBU for an M1, but cool nonetheless. Range trip in about two hours.

Just got my ammo DBU email, along with my customer number and estore credentials. [smile] Not as exciting as a "real" DBU for an M1, but cool nonetheless. Range trip in about two hours.

no but now you are all set..... now just have order forms handy for any release that come up...

- - - Updated - - -

Do the CMP ones have markings on the can? Some cans I've acquired have them spray painted over, etc.

almost every loose ammo can i have from cmp has either no markings at all or simple stuff like a stenciled picture of links of clips on the lid... cans.jpg

Last edited:

on a plus note he gives me 12$ for any can even peeled open tins ? He used to pay a good amount if you opened your tins from the bottom carefull as to appear un opened. He was using these to stage photos... so he says we never have seen any pictures but i guess he works with reactors and museums ?

no but now you are all set..... now just have order forms handy for any release that come up...
At least until April! But the indication after re-reading the order forms and in the email from customer service is that the citizenship/firearm activity requirements are now set. Just need the notary if moving, and the membership proof.

almost every loose ammo can i have from cmp has either no markings at all or simple stuff like a stenciled picture of links of clips on the lid...View attachment 182924
Good enough. Can never have too many cans. Maybe I'll order another HXP can around Christmas.

At least until April! But the indication after re-reading the order forms and in the email from customer service is that the citizenship/firearm activity requirements are now set. Just need the notary if moving, and the membership proof.

Good enough. Can never have too many cans. Maybe I'll order another HXP can around Christmas.

Join garand collectors association or goal and send in receipt by email.
Club affiliation good for a year at that point.

Back
Top Bottom