Field Grades are Back

$630. I'm holding out for a service grade so I'm not going to pull the trigger, but an FYI to anyone interested.

P.S., the CMP website says that the HXP cans "are old and may be rusty" - anyone get one recently? Are they in decent enough shape?

If you mean the recycled ammo cans that come with the loose ammo.... all the ones I got where good enough for transport. Bent rusty cracked up seals ectect... but there free right?
I had one that is usable no rust inside and seal is good.

I have been using these cans to put my casting lead in.

$630. I'm holding out for a service grade so I'm not going to pull the trigger, but an FYI to anyone interested.

P.S., the CMP website says that the HXP cans "are old and may be rusty" - anyone get one recently? Are they in decent enough shape?

In the same boat as you, waiting for the service grade instead. Just sent in an order for HXP to get my paperwork started and eligibility entered into the system.

Does anyone know what order date they are working on now?

You might get lucky with a Field Grade. In the M1 carbine lottery last February, my Quality Hardware M1 Carbine was listed as field grade, but was really a service grade in quality. ME/TE both at 1+. It went through a Standard Products contract overhaul between 1946-48 getting a new Inland M2 stock and handguard, and very lightly used thereafter.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN6252.jpg
    DSCN6252.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
To play devils advocate, you could also get a grade C re-parked receiver and a built up gun from parts. This is what a lot of guys reported receiving when FGs were last shipping. I think the days of finding a diamond in the rough, or a rare part, in a FG are gone.

In the same boat as you, waiting for the service grade instead. Just sent in an order for HXP to get my paperwork started and eligibility entered into the system.

There was a order timeline over on cmp forums for ammo ? I could not seem to find it. Anyway I have always got my order with in a few days...
Now since you mail ordered your first order give it a week.

- - - Updated - - -

To play devils advocate, you could also get a grade C re-parked receiver and a built up gun from parts. This is what a lot of guys reported receiving when FGs were last shipping. I think the days of finding a diamond in the rough, or a rare part, in a FG are gone.

Where are you getting C grade receivers for a good price? Never mind I get it....cmp built field grades from C receivers.

That happened to me three Garands ago when I ordered a field grade; the receiver actually had crayoned on it "FG build only". Not reparked, but built from parts on hand.

T

Last edited:
That happened to me three Garands ago; the receiver actually had crayoned on it "FG build only".

T

Anything decent actually coming out of crates goes to auction.
Would not surprise me if soon they have a built service grade or from the crate option for a premium?

Where are you getting C grade receivers for a good price? Never mind I get it....cmp built field grades from C receivers.

Yep, couple years ago they were selling grade C receivers stripped for $125. Great deal. I got 2, built my match rifle from one and stored the other.

For eligibility requirements, the part for marksmanship or other firearms related activity, does a photocopy of an unrestricted LTC count as the concealed carry license option?

Last I heard, someone said their order from the Sept 22-28(ish) (shortly before the cutoff) was in processing with a six month wait time. Whether or not they try to build up some breathing room before allowing more orders, I do not know.

- - - Updated - - -

For eligibility requirements, the part for marksmanship or other firearms related activity, does a photocopy of an unrestricted LTC count as the concealed carry license option?
Yes. I'm going with passport/LTC/GOAL card

Similar to daekken, but passport + LTC + GOAL card + C&R, in case LTC isn't enough.

Apply for a C&R now and you might get your FFL03 in hand before CMP reopens SG garands. Took me 3 weeks total 2 months ago.

A C&R does nothing for CMP requirements other than marksmanship qualification.
Only thing I can see a C&R being used for is if your state has some law starting no guns shipped unless a FFL dealer or C&R?

Yep, couple years ago they were selling grade C receivers stripped for $125. Great deal. I got 2, built my match rifle from one and stored the other.

Yes I grabbed a few myself back then. I have one left. Not sure what to do with it. The other I built from a parts kit with mostly Beretta parts. Guy at the club seen the BP parts and offered me a price I could not refuse for the rifle.
Kept telling him you can build one cheaper...did not matter. I used that money to build and buy the tools for the rifle I use at the matches

The CMP could care less about your GOAL card too.

Passport or Birth Cert, LTC-A, club affiliation (join the GCA), and notarized form is all you need.

Passport or Birth Cert, LTC-A, club affiliation (join the GCA), and notarized form is all you need.

Has CMP dropped GOAL as a affiliated member/club I was using goal since my other club dropped the affiliation... then I joined GCA

GOAL is still affiliated member, MA list below
https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php

Last edited:
Joining GCA is the easiest. My club is affiliated but it's a pita to get a form every year saying I'm a member. At one point the CMP just took a scan of my badge, but then stopped because it didn't have a date on it. Plus with GCA you get the magazine. I actually just renewed my membership. You also don't want to get caught with your pants down in case CMP does release something like another batch of Carbines, or a special M1 release.

Joining GCA is the easiest. My club is affiliated but it's a pita to get a form every year saying I'm a member. At one point the CMP just took a scan of my badge, but then stopped because it didn't have a date on it. Plus with GCA you get the magazine. I actually just renewed my membership. You also don't want to get caught with your pants down in case CMP does release something like another batch of Carbines, or a special M1 release.

I agree GCA is the best affiliated club IMHO but GOAL works. My other club I belong to dropped CMP affiliation for what ever reason. I even offered to pay the 25$ application fee. Sadly my other club has taken a direction I'm not a fan of...why I went to OCSA

I'm using the GOAL card for club/association, they're listed as affiliated. I do plan on joining the GCA too, maybe I'll use that next time (GCA is yearly, I'm guessing?) as my GOAL membership card's expiration date is April and I'll need to provide a new copy shortly anyway. I'm less concerned now that I know they'll contact you if they need something rather than just rejecting the order.
goal.PNG

If you did end up with a field grade built from parts gun is it still a good value at $630? I am thinking of getting another one to just be a shooter. I'm also assuming that these CMP rifles are drying up.

I'm using the GOAL card for club/association, they're listed as affiliated. I do plan on joining the GCA too, maybe I'll use that next time (GCA is yearly, I'm guessing?) as my GOAL membership card's expiration date is April and I'll need to provide a new copy shortly anyway. I'm less concerned now that I know they'll contact you if they need something rather than just rejecting the order.
View attachment 182643

Nice! My mistake, didn't think GOAL was an affiliated Club.

There was a order timeline over on cmp forums for ammo ? I could not seem to find it. Anyway I have always got my order with in a few days...
Now since you mail ordered your first order give it a week.

I think he was referring to service grades, people who sent orders near the 9/28 cutoff were reporting receiving DBUs for their late Sept. orders. As for the HXP - might be a bit of a wait: "[FONT=&quot]INVENTORY ON HAND BUT DUE TO VOLUME OF ORDERS DELIVERY TIME IS UP TO 60 DAYS FROM DATE OF ORDER." [/FONT]Could be giving themselves a buffer? Not that it matters much for those of us who are M1-less. Do their wait times tend to be accurate or inflated?

I think he was referring to service grades, people who sent orders near the 9/28 cutoff were reporting receiving DBUs for their late Sept. orders. As for the HXP - might be a bit of a wait: "[FONT="]INVENTORY ON HAND BUT DUE TO VOLUME OF ORDERS DELIVERY TIME IS UP TO 60 DAYS FROM DATE OF ORDER." [/FONT]Could be giving themselves a buffer? Not that it matters much for those of us who are M1-less. Do their wait times tend to be accurate or inflated?

i have found there wait times to claim to be longer than they actually are.... ut take that for what its worth.
one round not to long ago the wait was listed as 10-14 months. i got it in 7 ?
when the rush on sealed HXP cans came back they said 4-6 weeks I got them around week 5?
Im still waiting on my 22lr order from 2013 [rolleyes]

All I know is 4 weeks ago I ordered 2 spam cans of HXP and 8 days later they were on my doorstep. Not sure if that is the current wait time but it was quick when I ordered a month ago.

Went thru the CMP thread and came up with these dates/days.
Guess there was a huge influx of orders mid-late Sept.

57MN4tD.png

Ignore the first entry, that order probably was missing some paperwork causing the massive delay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom