Field Grades are Back

My usual request:

1. SA
2. WW2 serial
3. USGI wood

T
That is what I really want, and was planning on if I could only have one M1. After I thought about getting two, I would like to have one SA and one HRA. I'd rather have the SA be the nicer of the two, so this puts me in a bit of quandary. However, there's no guarantee on getting what I put on stickies, so I might as well go for the WW2 SA request on the FG if I commit to doing it. If I end up not getting it or going for two SGs in the future (and thus selling or keeping the FG), it's moot anyway.

I always read the HRA M1's (the 1950's ones) are the most desirable and best built M1's. Is this true?

Side by side my HRA receivers are more refined machining. The finish is smoother so they at least where finished to a higher lever of finish at least by looks anyway. You know those old school machinist knew how much machining was good enough for GI my 1942 SA has machine marks all over it. By looks my Winchester was horrible looking. Forge marks, poor machined pockets...but it functioned. Old timer at our club said they put more quality into the Winchester roll stamp than the rifle..
HRA also had from what I understand nice new equipment and of course previous arms manufacturing. IHC was know to suffer some production issues being knew to fire arms.
Also again IIRC they received some old tooling from Winchester and Springfield?
Like any mass produced item I'm sure some runs where better than others.
From the war department over haul manual I have the quality inspection check was not as involved as you would like or think it would be.
If I read it correctly they would run through 10k rifles random pick 100 test 10 If those 10 had a failure rate of 4% they would test the 100 if the 100 failed the entire lot would be ran through ? Funny though they give provisions to drop 2% of the failures, go figure.

Out of my rifles as received from the cmp the worst looking on with a reading of 3 and 3 was the best shooter
I have (had its now my match gun with new barrel) a 1955 HRA with LMR barrel ...I did everything I know to improve accuracy of the M1. 5 previous M1 improved greatly...this one... lucky to hold the 9 ring. 8 ring more likely and far to many 5 ring flyers...it was very nice looking though.

Last edited:
I thought about the FG overnight, and I;m leaning towards doing it. I don't see much of a downside? If it's better than I expect or I get attached to it, I can go for one or two SGs down the road (depending on how long until they come back). If it's not what I really want, I can either sell it or have it as a project rifle (although if I'm being honest, I tend to get attached and probably won't sell it unless I have some specific reason for doing so). Few months earlier than I expected ordering (based on February deadline) but maybe it'll arrive around my birthday if I'm lucky.

I just noticed that CMP raised the price on the 200 rounds HXP in a ammo can $10.

Does anyone know how the supply of field grades is holding up?

I just noticed that CMP raised the price on the 200 rounds HXP in a ammo can $10.

73 cents per round for HXP...Hmmm definitely makes more sense to spend the extra penny per round and buy brand new PPU ammo in a 50 cal ammo can.

Tis the season cmp tends to raise prices.
It will go up again soon.
Soon they will reduce the limit of cans. Then they will trickle up prices to make up for reduction in volume of sales.....is what it is. Get it while it's still "cheap"

- - - Updated - - -

73 cents per round for HXP...Hmmm definitely makes more sense to spend the extra penny per round and buy brand new PPU ammo in a 50 cal ammo can.

I agree snag the PPU when you can. I don't see PPU staying as cheap as it has been for to long.
The next wave imported will be a few pennies more I'm sure.

On the CMP forums in New Order Timeline, one gentleman claimed he was told it would be six weeks for his to ship, someone more recently said CMP told him six month back order. Website says 3-6 month wait.

Good point. How does the PPU brass compare to the HXP brass from a reloading standpoint

Good point. How does the PPU brass compare to the HXP brass from a reloading standpoint

It's good stuff. I haven't had any issues reloading the brass. I'm sure it is just as good if not better than HXP brass - not to mention it's brand new (same lot etc) not from the 60s/70s.

Back
Top Bottom