• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fewer-guns-fewer-gun-deaths-in-connecticut; Why do I not believe this?

allen-1

NES Member
Here's the late-breaking article from WTNH, kinda skimpy on facts/citations:
http://wtnh.com/2015/01/29/fewer-guns-fewer-gun-deaths-in-connecticut/

Oh for $deity's sake; that didn't take long. I just went to VPC.ORG, one of the organizations cited in this "news article". They're about as anti-gun as you can get.

Now I know better. Opinion masquerading as fact, reported as news. Wonderful; because people will listen to this tonight and believe it.

To get good data on this subject, you should (a) take out suicides, since the lack of a gun won't deter a suicide victim, and (b) compare gun death rates before and after gun control is increased (or decreased).

Even assuming their correlation to be correct, murders have also dropped where gun sales have skyrocketed. No causation.

Phrenology, Eugenics, The Final Solution - all progressive campaigns to use garbage science to convince people to mistreat/murder other people on an industrial scale.

The right to life trumps statistics and pragmatism. I don't care if gun control "works". While perhaps a necessary endeavor, the effort to rebut bad stats or to illustrate the "effectiveness" of pro-gun policy is ultimately irrelevant to the fundamental argument over life and the right to defend it. This is not about pragmatism or whether more guns means more or less crime, gun deaths, or any other metric. This is about the right of one man to defend his life with a tool ideally suited to the job.

The right to life trumps statistics and pragmatism. I don't care if gun control "works". While perhaps a necessary endeavor, the effort to rebut bad stats or to illustrate the "effectiveness" of pro-gun policy is ultimately irrelevant to the fundamental argument over life and the right to defend it. This is not about pragmatism or whether more guns means more or less crime, gun deaths, or any other metric. This is about the right of one man to defend his life with a tool ideally suited to the job.

I'm more of the pragmatist - I think US criminals are all armed, so it's stupid to think disarming law abiding citizens will reduce crime.

I'm more of the pragmatist - I think US criminals are all armed, so it's stupid to think disarming law abiding citizens will reduce crime.
The problem with pragmatism over principle is that it drives policy (and not in your favor).

If you say we are only armed in response to the criminal threat, then if the the criminal threat is reduced (and it can be shown have been drastically reduced - even more so if you look regionally), then you no longer need the right to be armed in their eyes.

Giving government "if-then" options is a bad idea. The best option to give them is "no".

Fewer guns can mean fewer gun deaths. But also look at total deaths, violent crime numbers, etc. Total deaths will likely not change significantly and violent crime will trend up over time with reduced gun ownership.

But of course anti-gunners never look at violent crime. 4 times as many women raped is ok if we have one less person killed by a gun...

QFTMFT. I am so ****ing sick of arguments for or against gun control and a relationship with anything (crime, suicide, accidents). The only thing that will ever justify gun control is a Constitutional Amendment.

I was going to make a post about this asking if anyone could identify the actual source of this data.
I tried for almost an hour. Pretty SNKY SNKY of them to omit the most important part of any "report" i.e. the damn EVIDENCE

Back
Top Bottom