Felon faces ammo charge

Felon faces ammo charge Hells Angel seen shooting at range

Friday, June 1, 2007
Felon faces ammo charge

Hells Angel seen shooting at range

By Lee Hammel TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

WORCESTER— A member of the Hells Angels was indicted in U.S. District Court this week on a charge of being a felon in possession of ammunition.

If convicted, Russell Sinkis, 36, of 45 Oxford St., Auburn, faces more prison time — more than 5 years — than he has served because of the state felonies on which he previously was convicted.

He is in custody pending trial because Magistrate Judge Timothy S. Hillman ruled that he would be a danger to the community and a threat to obstruct justice if released. Mr. Sinkis is a particular threat to attempt to intimidate witnesses, Judge Hillman said.

Mr. Sinkis was arrested April 24 on a complaint by Special Agent Michael P. Curran of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. That resulted in the indictment Wednesday on a charge that he purchased ammunition Oct. 28 at Boston Gun Range in Worcester.

Judge Hillman noted that while Mr. Sinkis has not been charged with a crime in connection with his membership in the motorcycle group, two sources told law enforcement officers that he severely beat a man who falsely claimed to be a member of the Hells Angels while at a tattoo convention in Worcester.

The magistrate judge also said that the mother of a former girlfriend of Mr. Sinkis was threatened after she told him that she planned to talk to ATF. In the month before his most recent arrest, Mr. Sinkis lived with his parents in Auburn and was a part-time disc jockey at Centerfolds strip club after serving a month in jail.

He is divorced and pays child support, although he is $2,600 in arrears, the magistrate judge noted. His former wife and two girlfriends have taken out restraining orders against him after he allegedly hit each of them, Judge Hillman said.

Mr. Sinkis was convicted in 2005 in Dudley District Court of two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and one count of assault and battery. He was sentenced to two years on probation, but served 60 days after violating probation.

Mr. Sinkis also was placed on two years’ probation after being convicted Feb. 12 of assault and battery and threatening. The magistrate judge noted that he was on probation both when he committed those crimes and while allegedly possessing ammunition at Boston Gun Range.

After initially denying it, Mr. Sinkis admitted to shooting a 9 mm Smith & Wesson pistol Oct. 28 at the gun range with his girlfriend and another woman, Judge Hillman said. Because the Smith & Wesson was manufactured in Massachusetts, while the ammunition was not, and proof of the weapon crossing state lines is a requirement for a federal weapons charge, Mr. Sinkis is charged with being a felon in possession of ammunition, but not in possession of a firearm.

Just goes to show, the ATF will prosecute any convicted felon in possession of ammunition. I'm sure they would do the same if that convicted felon had something like say... A MODERN DESIGN CENTERFIRE RIFLE as well...

This should be a warning to ALL CONVICTED FELONS!

I am against FIP/Lautenberg/etc in principle, but frankly I have little
sympathy for this guy.

The sad thing is if it wasn't for the feds getting involved and applying their
overly shitty gun laws this dirtbag wouldn't be doing much time at all, given
the way the justice system is in this state.

I've often said the only reason that the fed laws are so harsh is because
the locals have often failed to take care of their own problems.

I am surprised they didn't try to get FIP on the gun, as well, as the ATF has
been known to stretch the whole "effects interstate commerce" thing
quite a bit. All they would have had to do was prove that one part
was made somewhere else and they'd get that charge, too.

-Mike

I guess this explains why the ATF has requested that commercial ranges in MA check ID and keep sign in logs of persons renting range time.

Good to see they may be trying to prosecute an actual scumbag for once. If he is guilty of everything said about him I hope he gets what he deserves, If he's not guilty of any of it may the justice system work in his favor.
Hope BATF gets around to hassling those gang bangers who had the lane next to me at AFS a few months back. Enough to make a guy end a blissful day of shooting early.

Back
Top Bottom