• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Feeler on a long range shooting class taught by an Iraq Vet Marine scout sniper

I will have a standby list and i can bring a loaner rifle to the class if people needs a rifle to use its a savage in 243 with a 4 to 14 power mildot it is not a tactical long range shooter but it is a tack driver it will shoot under 1" at 200 yards with its favorite hand loads which i will bring along

I would suggest that your buddy put together a framework syllabus, it's a pain, but an hour or two of work does wonders for instructing.

That said, I'm in, I need to learn raw basics with my rifle before I go looking at mildot and more advanced stuff.

i have read good reviews on the millet tactical scopes there in the $200 to $300 range on ebay . They seem like alot of scope for the money and might be a good stepping stone scope for you if you like the style of scope you can allways upgrade to a better quality scope in the future and sell the millet to close to what you paid for it

Wow, in no way the definition of "Good Glass"

Wow, in no way the definition of "Good Glass"

it is better then nothing for someone that is interested in learning this is just a basics class for those that want to learn and have some fun. One doesnt need super high end snob gear to take part . It was just a suggestion to get him by for the class and to see if this is something he might enjoy.. would it be smart to go out and buy a $1300 mark 4 just to realize that this not your cup of worms

Great optics are nice but not necessary. A friend used to compete with me in a match that started at 200y and ended at 1,000y. He had a $110 Tasco 6-24 mil-dot. The optics weren't that clear, but at 24X he could see whatever he wanted. The main thing with the scope is that the knobs must be consistent. You'll be cranking in come-up from 2MOA at 200yrds to 15 or 20MOA at 600y. That cheap Tasco always went where the knobs said so he wasn't limited by the scope. Mainly we got our accuracy asses kicked by the wind.[laugh]

I'd be in depending on date and details.

DSC_1568.jpg

Interested.
Very interested. Just picked up a savage 110 308. Will have a better stock for it and glass in a week or two.

Hopefully you are planning on a Saturday for this to take place on

just giving a quick update I am still working on trying to get this class together . I am just waiting to hear back from Jason so he and i can work out a few details i will keep you all posted when i have more info.

just giving a quick update I am still working on trying to get this class together . I am just waiting to hear back from Jason so he and i can work out a few details i will keep you all posted when i have more info.

Thanks NHEric! Looking forward to what the two of you come up with.

Thanks NHEric! Looking forward to what the two of you come up with.

I'm looking forward to it as well.

I have an 18" AR (with a White Oak SPR 1 in 7 twist barrel and 4X ACOG) and an M1A Loaded with no scope. The AR seems like the better bet but it would need a more powerful scope. I'm thinking of getting a Super Sniper but are there any others worth looking at for a somewhat reasonable price? I'm willing to spend a decent amount by Schmidt & Bender and US Optics are out.

I'm looking forward to it as well.

I have an 18" AR (with a White Oak SPR 1 in 7 twist barrel and 4X ACOG) and an M1A Loaded with no scope. The AR seems like the better bet but it would need a more powerful scope. I'm thinking of getting a Super Sniper but are there any others worth looking at for a somewhat reasonable price? I'm willing to spend a decent amount by Schmidt & Bender and US Optics are out.

I have a SS 10 power, I think it was worth the 300 bucks. It is way nicer then other cheaper high power scopes I have used in the past.

the Leupold mark ar 6-18 scope should be good choice for an AR platform they are in the 450 to 500 price range. The evevation turret has bdc marks premarked on it but they are marked for 55 grain loads but leupold can make custom turrents to match your favorite loads for short money.

Last edited:
Paul, a lot of users on snipershide forum have had good feedback on the Weaver 3-10X40 mildot mil/mil. I have one and I concur with the positive feedback. In fact, the good user reviews there is why I bought it. That and the $299 price from Midway.

That scope, AFAIK, is sold only by Midway USA. I also like the fact that the W/E adjustments coincide with the reticle subtentions so shot spotting and correction is dead easy.

Paul, a lot of users on snipershide forum have had good feedback on the Weaver 3-10X40 mildot mil/mil. I have one and I concur with the positive feedback. In fact, the good user reviews there is why I bought it. That and the $299 price from Midway.

That scope, AFAIK, is sold only by Midway USA. I also like the fact that the W/E adjustments coincide with the reticle subtentions so shot spotting and correction is dead easy.

Thanks Jose. I'll look into that one.

The reticle on that one is on the 2nd focal plane (which means the reticle moves with magnification). Is that generally preferred for this purpose?

EDIT: Found it and it gets good reviews on Midway also. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

the mark 4 scopes are great scopes but you might want to stick with a mil dot retical or an other range finding type retical. i have heard good things about weaver and millet tactical scopes

Vortex 10-24 X 50mm mil dot scope is decent for the money and had a lifetime transferrable warranty.

Thanks Jose. I'll look into that one.

The reticle on that one is on the 2nd focal plane (which means the reticle moves with magnification). Is that generally preferred for this purpose?

EDIT: Found it and it gets good reviews on Midway also. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Second focal plane is pretty much the standard for lower priced scopes, and they're not bad, you just have to be aware of your magnification setting when you're measuring.

The cheapest FFP scope out there is probably Vortex in the 700$ range, so you don't have a ton of choices.

Back
Top Bottom