• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Feeler on a long range shooting class taught by an Iraq Vet Marine scout sniper

maybe we caan contact nutnfancey to hold the class after 5 hours of lecture we would get 15 minutes of practice

Ok, count me out.[wink]

How many rounds do you think we'd need for the day on something like this? Would 200 be enough? (assume Nutnfancy isn't there)

I am going to head out to the spot around noon today to zero my rifle, do a budget glass review, and test a few new loads that i loaded. I want to get out there before I go see the evil doctor this thursday lol . I will be doing some playing in the 500 to 600 yard range if anyone wants to join me shoot an im

Ok, count me out.[wink]

How many rounds do you think we'd need for the day on something like this? Would 200 be enough? (assume Nutnfancy isn't there)

200 should be more then plenty..

few items i would recommend
1. camel pack , plenty of water it is a hike to the spot and there is not much shade
2. a rear bean bag , it can be made out of a sock full of beans or airsoft bbs it is a huge aid to keep the rifle very stable
3. cleaning kit (even more so if you have a new gun to do a barrel break in)
4. shooting mat i use a old east german half tent
5. a front rest such as bipod or backpack stuffed with a sweatshirt (works great)
6. snacks

Last edited:
Wondering if there is any update on whether this class is still going to be held. Just wondering.

i have had it on the back burner do to my hernia But I found out some good news a few weeks ago after a mri the doc said that it does not requires surgery at this point but that being said there are some days when the area hurts so bad i want to repair it myself lol.

I have been trying to contact Jason about the class but I have not gotten any replys so I am wondering about his experience in the Marines and if he was actually a sniper and if the reason he is not returning my messages or emails is because the class got a little bigger then planned and now he is afraid that he might get called out or found out on being a fake. He very well could be legit but this is just my thoughts.

i have an other person in mind that might do the class he is a friend of a friend this guy was a scout sniper and I know through a good source that he has taught classes in the past i am in the process of trying to contact him but the middle man is not to reliable.

I will get something together even if it just comes down to just me taking a handfull of people out to my long range spot and I will do my best teach the basics on the use of a scope (zeroing & adjusting) , ranging / milling the distance to a target, making adjustments for ballistics and wind. I can show everyone a good solid prone shooting postion and a proper discipline for consistent accurate shooting at long distance. I am not claming to be a sniper or some long range guru but i will teach and help out with what i know and i will do it free of charge if it comes down to it.

It does look like the class will be a wash but i am still willing to take a few people out to my spot to teach them what I know and coach them the best i can on a solid prone shooting position, shooting mechanics, scope usage, and how to adjust for ballistics and wind . I will am sure that I will have everyone hitting steel anywhere from 500 to 800 yards.

I am thinking the weekend of July 14th for the outing and if all goes good i will take out a second group in August

It does look like the class will be a wash but i am still willing to take a few people out to my spot to teach them what I know and coach them the best i can on a solid prone shooting position, shooting mechanics, scope usage, and how to adjust for ballistics and wind . I will am sure that I will have everyone hitting steel anywhere from 500 to 800 yards.

I am thinking the weekend of July 14th for the outing and if all goes good i will take out a second group in August

If you do it on the 14th I'll join you. Always good putting rounds out that far and honing some skills.

I am thinking we should do a group of 6 for the first time out to see how things go

IN SO FAR
Rockrvr1
Kvesi!22 ( can not come do to work [sad])
Drum13
gulfmp possibly attending

Last edited:
Great idea. You might want to make it a little more organized and update the OP with minimum specs, like .308 and at least 4x zoom or greater, or something like that, match ammunition and how many cartridges etc. It's a great price, and if it does well maybe he can even start doing classes regularly (Monthly or quarterly) and take it seriously, increase his prices, and earn some good money on the side.

I'd love to go but I don't have a rifle capable of doing shots like these. Yet.

we are going out to a spot in south central NH at a super secret spot [wink] it is not far from the MA border this is going be an informal get together where i hope to help some shooters with the basics of scope usage , such as setting zero, explain and teach the Mil dot system, explain Minute of angle, teach how to adjust for drift and drop by using there rounds data , and I hope give some tips to help all that comes to hit targets at longer ranges and I am sure I will learn from the shooters who attend also. I am not the former USMC sniper but i do have a ton of trigger time i started shooting at the age of 6 and I have picked up a lot of useful info , tips and tidbits from my granddad, father and fellow shooters over the 34 years that i have been shooting and hunting

I was out today to check the zero on my rifle and then I got some 200 yard practice the wind was crazy today there must of been 15 to 20 mph gusts I think I lost 5 pounds walking back and forth to keep fixing my target [rofl] I hope the wind calms down for Saturday. I have not picked up Remington in like 2 to 3 months but she snuggled up nice and tight and preformed well.

Here is a couple target photos from today the little shoot-n-see on the right i got a Robbin hood on my second shot or i missed the target and huge cardboard backing completely [laugh]

0708121342b.jpg 0708121342a.jpg

Last edited:
Nice groups! Speaking of targets, should we be bringing any kind of target stands? I have a pack of shoot-n-see targets I'll bring along as well as some 200 yard rifle targets. Plus some duct tape! Anything else along those lines we'll need to bring?

I have one metal target in place out there and an other in the back of my truck i am going to put it out mid week, i was going to pick up some zeroing targets and some wood 1"x1" to make some simple stands. Bring what you like it does look like it might be only 2 or three of us so if you want bring other guns that you want to try at 500 + yards we should have some extra shooting time . I might bring along a Ar-15 and a enfield to try at 500 yards.

Nice looking--targets, I hope to get mine dialed in soon too. I'd really like to show up but other commitments, like Nascar weekend at Loudon for us.. hey, how far from Loudon is this.. I just picked up a Savage 110 FCP HS in 338 Lapua. New SS 10-42MMQ scope should be here tomorrow, I picked up some ammo but know nothing about setting this thing up...

Nice looking--targets, I hope to get mine dialed in soon too. I'd really like to show up but other commitments, like Nascar weekend at Loudon for us.. hey, how far from Loudon is this.. I just picked up a Savage 110 FCP HS in 338 Lapua. New SS 10-42MMQ scope should be here tomorrow, I picked up some ammo but know nothing about setting this thing up...
e

I am sure we will be headed out again soon

I just wanted to say great job today guys it was awesome to see you all hit targets the longer ranges. I hope you all learned something useful today and you will be able to apply it to your shooting. I did notice that all your groups did tighten up during the 100 yard practice. Once again great job.

I just wanted to say great job today guys it was awesome to see you all hit targets the longer ranges. I hope you all learned something useful today and you will be able to apply it to your shooting. I did notice that all your groups did tighten up during the 100 yard practice. Once again great job.

It was a lot of fun Eric! Definitely enjoyed trying to hit that 800 yard target. I'm still claiming one of those hits!!!!

Thanks for holding this class! Learned a lot, which is what I was hoping for.

My Ford even made it through that "minor" 4-wheeling! Always a good thing.

I am 100% sure one of the hits was yours I knew I heard a solid impact while you were shooting. Hitting a 12" x 12" steel target at 800 yards is not a shot too many people can claim making. Be proud, you earned your Monster lol.
I am happy you got some thing out of the class, I was feeling bad about Jason leaving us high an dry on teaching the class.

Btw your ford did pretty damn well off road i was surprised

Btw your ford did pretty damn well off road i was surprised

No kidding! Ford should have filmed that for a commercial!
Matt and I had a great time, learned plenty. And I know what I have to practice on. The cheat sheets are nice, but its even a better feeling when you can figure it all out from scratch.
If you happen to come across a center cap from my wheel hold onto it for me. It must have come off on the "hi-way" in. Probably floating down the river by now!
Thanks again Eric. Hope to shoot with you guys again.

Gulfmp I will keep an eye out for the center cap think I might be heading out there again in a couple weeks this time on a Sunday. You and Matt did great yesterday. Matt's first shot on the 500 yard target while using the scope marks for hold over was Awesome.

I was looking on Midway USA they have a couple 20 MOA mounts for your savage and Winchester. I found a Leupold one for my Remington for $25 I will be ordering it this week.

This class was a sucess so I am working on putting together a second class, as of right now I am looking at September 2nd for a date. I will post a new post when I work out the details .

This class was a sucess so I am working on putting together a second class, as of right now I am looking at September 2nd for a date. I will post a new post when I work out the details .

Crap I missed this one!!!! I def in for the next one!

Back
Top Bottom