• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Feeler on a long range shooting class taught by an Iraq Vet Marine scout sniper

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn from someone who is the "real deal"..... In depending on date.....

i know for a fact he knows and has used the barrett overseas he once told me a story about blowning a wall apart while suppressing some insurgents that were behind it. But i think that will be way too much gun for the spot we might use and it just might tear up the gongs that i am welding up at work for the class but i would love to see it in action [sad2] . He did express that he didnt like the barrett system and he prefered the M40 platform

So is that a no for Nicole and I using the Barrett's?

I will have to agree with the 5.56 comment at 800yrds. You are gonna need the right barrel length and twist rate and also your own ammo loads. You will also need plenty of moa on your scope, I shot high power competition and 600yrds is a task with 5.56 i would have to make more adjustments due to lighter bullet compared to the 30-06 guys. Wind and temperature is a factor too when shooting long distances.

I would recommend going with something in 7.62 nato (.308win). Also for good ammo i would check out qmmo.net for his reloads. He sells some 7.62 XM118 which are real nice at long distances.

I would be willing to let some of you guys use my stuff if you want to attend this class but dont have anything to use. I have a DPMS LR308 setup for long range shooting. I also have a Savage 10fp in .308win that i feel should reach some good distances. I havent tried it at distance greater than 300 but it should compare to my DPMS.

Pm me if interested or if you wanna just hit the range to try it out.

i have read good reviews on the millet tactical scopes there in the $200 to $300 range on ebay . They seem like alot of scope for the money and might be a good stepping stone scope for you if you like the style of scope you can allways upgrade to a better quality scope in the future and sell the millet to close to what you paid for it

I was thinking of the SuperSniper fixed 10X with a Larue mount.

Maybe if you brought your own target? But would you really want to shoot it all day--I would think the ammo would be cost prohibitive for extended use.

Edit: on the topic of targets, I could make a couple too. I have a bunch of scrap wood lying around for just this purpose.

Last edited:
Maybe if you brought your own target? But would you really want to shoot it all day--I would think the ammo would be cost prohibitive for extended use.

I can bring paper targets. No mention has been made of how many rounds will be shot. And yes I would shoot it all day. Neither of us have a problem shooting either Barrett all day.

I can bring paper targets. No mention has been made of how many rounds will be shot. And yes I would shoot it all day. Neither of us have a problem shooting either Barrett all day.

We'll have to wait on details, but I'd be concerned about the backstop's ability to contain .50BMG without skipping in many of these sort of backwoods locations.

nheric: Hello, Mr 1234?

Me: Yes?

nheric: Hi, I'd like to talk you into purchasing a firearm for long range shooting.

Me: Why?

nheric: Well there is a course coming up where you can get training on shooting out to 800 yards locally for relatively short money.

Me: Sounds like a plan. Just tell me the date, I'll be there with bells on

i can meet you both well before the meet and let you check out the spot and the surounding area so you can decide if its safe for the barretts you know your guns better then I. But i can tell you we will be shooting down hill into very soft swampy ground with huge hill in the background for a stop. I shoot a 300wm there often with no issues. The closest house is maybe 3/4 to a mile of a mile to the right from were we will shooting from. If its not safe for the barretts i will let you both use a Savage in 243w with a 4x14 power mildot scope and its favorite handloads its a tack driver. I dont think i will get much trigger time I am sure will be helping Jason.

i was planing on making some target holders out of scrap plywood an 2x4 for the closer range shots if you want to bring paper targets feel free

He did say it would be best if we could match the weapon system that he trained with and used in the Marines so we can get the most out the class in his words " hes an expert in that system and wouldnt want to pretend to one in a system that he does not know"

We are looking learn fundementals of long range shooting like, range estimation, wind dopping, external ballistics, etc.
I think it would be good if the next time you talked to him to ask if he has a equipment list, course outline and a schedule for the day.

He did express that he didnt like the barrett system and he prefered the M40 platform

But would he be willing to teach the class with a mixture of calibers?

i can meet you both well before the meet and let you check out the spot and the surounding area so you can decide if its safe for the barretts you know your guns better then I. But i can tell you we will be shooting down hill into very soft swampy ground with huge hill in the background for a stop. I shoot a 300wm there often with no issues. The closest house is maybe 3/4 to a mile of a mile to the right from were we will shooting from. If its not safe for the barretts i will let you both use a Savage in 243w with a 4x14 power mildot scope and its favorite handloads its a tack driver. I dont think i will get much trigger time I am sure will be helping Jason.

A site visit would be a good idea. Jason's opinion would be good also as he is the one teaching and if he doesn't like the set-up then we don't bring the Barrett's.

We are looking learn fundementals of long range shooting like, range estimation, wind dopping, external ballistics, etc.
I think it would be good if the next time you talked to him to ask if he has a equipment list, course outline and a schedule for the day.

Standing by for this list, and hoping for a day sometime in April or first half of may.

And a mixture of rifle platforms, I have no plan to buy a bolt rifle at the moment. If I couldn't run a gas gun I might have to pass.

I have a Rem 700 in 308 that i have never had the opportunity to shoot at more than 400 yards so I would be very interested in a chance of shooting at 800. However, it sounds like interest will far exceed the intended class size.

I'd also have no problem kicking in some cash,but are you sure that the public range would be hassle free if a dozen or so shooters were to show up etc?

NHEric, I just wanted to thank you for the effort you are putting forth here to put together this class and letting us user your "private" range. I really appreciate it!!!

Your welcome I think it will be a fun day we all will get to do some shooting and will get to learn from one of our Countrys best marksman. I love shooting with good people and both of my closest shooting buddies moved away one to Florida and the other to California so I have been wanting to meet a few more people from the forum to possibly find some new shooting buddies . Its my pleasure :)

A site visit would be a good idea. Jason's opinion would be good also as he is the one teaching and if he doesn't like the set-up then we don't bring the Barrett's.

In Jasons words he is an expert in the systems and formulas he used wouldnt want to pretend to be one in systems he doesnt know so the closest we can get to his system it would benifit us the most and he could give us alot more input . But he did say he can teach the basics no matter what system we have such as range estimating, shooting postions, shooting disciplne. You can bring what you have but if i would match what he knows best so you can get the most you can from the class

I dont see my self shooting that much one the day of the class I allready have some knowledge of mil range finding ,adjusting for range and using ballistic caculators but I need a little help with wind so I will be helping Jason, helping you all. But I do plan on doing a little shooting and I will be bringing the oddest rifles of the bunch to the class a SMLE Enfield and a 91/30 Mosin i have hit a 20"x20" steel plate at 550 yards with both and I am hopping after the class that i can pick up a few tips on my posture and disciplne and will be able to ring the gong at 800 if i can see the damn thing lol

What would be the expected round count? Looking foward to breaking out the .308 and start shooting it again. I have a Remington 700PSS with a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Ill mil-dot and would to get reacquinated with the mil-dot again. Any idea as to when?

Thanks

Mike

No clue on round count or time frame of the class at this time i am waiting for Jason to contact me back between his MMA training and his business he is quite busy .
But with all the Interest in the class and the limited amount of people that we can take we will have to do some sort of contest such as pick names from a bucket , or i can take the frist dozen of people that reply to a random post that i will post some where in the forum , I will let everyone know the date and time of when i will post the post the headline will have something to do with Marine snipers . I want to be fair to all that want to go. If the first class goes good maybe we can do more clases at latter dates.
Rockrivr1 in an automatic it was his idea that got me rolling on this class.

Thanks NH Eric for putting this together. When it comes time, pick whomever you think is appropriate--I certainly won't be offended if I don't make the cut, particularly since I only have the 5.56 at this point. Make it easy and enjoyable for your expert so hopefully he'll want to do it again. People do drop out so maybe put some folks on standby too.

Back
Top Bottom