Feeler on a long range shooting class taught by an Iraq Vet Marine scout sniper

I would be interested too! South central NH works for me and I have a new RECCE build I'd like to work with.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have no experience with SS.

They're made in Japan to SWFA's spec. So, given that, they're probably made by a fairly well known optical manufacturer and my guess is Kowa though there's others who could certainly do it. I get the impression that Night Force pays someone else to do their manufacturing also.

In any event, I've never heard a bad word about the scopes and most say they compare well to other brands that cost a lot more.

If this course happens and I need to get something fairly quickly, I'll probably end up with this one.

In any event, I've never heard a bad word about the scopes and most say they compare well to other brands that cost a lot more.

+1

I'm using their 1-4X scope and have been very pleased with it for the $$ - http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48372.aspx

PF&G only goes to 100 yards (at least until their 600 yard range opens), so it would be nice to get some 300 to 400 yard experience.

recce-1.jpg

Check out the falcon optics menace scopes. I just picked up a 4-14 with FFP and mil-mil. Excellent scope for under 400 to my door.

Ammo selection here will be just as important as your rifle/scope setup. I'm starting to buy some quality 308 to run through my LAR-8 for this class. At 200 yards it was amazing to see the accuracy difference between surplus and quality target/hunting ammo. The best surplus group I could do was a 3" group with some fliers that were well out of that mark. Most shots varied even though I had the rifle solid on rests for each shot. Enough for a kill shot in a real wartime situation, but not even close for precision shooting.

When I changed to quality ammo, it was like night and day. I was consistently able to keep 1" groups. I was using Federal and Remington ammo and both were giving me similar results. Only problem is that ammo is expensive as all hell. But, I want to get the most out of this class so I'm buying a few boxes at a time.

It is slow at work so I have been doing some reading on midrange priced scope reviews and i found a scope that might be a good scope it is called the hawke sidewinder 30 tactical scopes they are ffp and they seem to have great reviews but they might be hard to find I never heard of or seen one before. From what have i read on the scopes they are big sellers overseas and they are trying to get into the us market all the reviews seem very positive. I have been wanting some new glass myself so might pick one up off of ebay, mount it on my Howa 300 win mag to see how it holds up they have a lifetime worldwide warranty so if it is crap or breaks i will just get it replaced or repaired and give it to my son for his 22lr AR-15 . If i get one i will post a review

Last edited:
It is slow at work so I have been doing some reading on midrange priced scope reviews and i found a scope that might be a good scope it is called the hawke sidewinder 30 tactical scopes they are ffp and they seem to have great reviews but they might be hard to find I never heard of or seen one before. From what have i read on the scopes they are big sellers overseas and they are trying to get into the us market all the reviews seem very positive. I have been wanting some new glass myself so might pick one up off of ebay, mount it on my Howa 300 win mag to see how it holds up they have a lifetime worldwide warranty so if it is crap or breaks i will just get it replaced or repaired and give it to my son for his 22lr AR-15 . If i get one i will post a review

I just took a look at the hawke sidewinder scopes at SWFA, of the models there, they say 'mil dot true at 10x'. This means they are not a FFP. Although you may be looking at another model.

I just took a look at the hawke sidewinder scopes at SWFA, of the models there, they say 'mil dot true at 10x'. This means they are not a FFP. Although you may be looking at another model.

you are correct one of the reviews said they are ffp but after reading more about them they are second focal plane. I still think i might get one and put it through the ringer

The reticle on that one is on the 2nd focal plane (which means the reticle moves with magnification). Is that generally preferred for this purpose?]
Yes, it's second focal plane. I'd much prefer the reticle be on the first plane, but the deal was too good to pass up.

In any case, I almost always do my shooting at 10X, so the reticle subtends correctly anyway.

Yes, it's second focal plane. I'd much prefer the reticle be on the first plane, but the deal was too good to pass up.

In any case, I almost always do my shooting at 10X, so the reticle subtends correctly anyway.

I'm still looking at that Weaver but the Super Sniper seems preferable. I bought my ACOG off of http://www.samplelist.com and they were excellent.

I'm still looking at that Weaver but the Super Sniper seems preferable.

Can't go wrong either way. I will tell you this, I've looked through a lot of people's scopes when I go shooting at Thunder Valley Precision and was shocked the brightness of my inexpensive (but not cheap) Weaver.

I have a Super Sniper on my DPMS LR308 and it is very nice glass and holds zero. If anybody wants to check it out and shoot a little, let me know. Pm me

Also some good 308 ammo to pick up if your a Mass resident is qmmo.net has some XM118 175gr reloads and they shoot tight groups. I wanna say about 1inch at 100 yards. I will have to check it next time i go out.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk.

The class might have to be pushed back to late spring or early summer . I was injured at work an inguinal hernia i have to see the surgen this this thursday to talk about the repair but i am thinking the surgery might be in a month or more so the recovery time might run into April.

The class might have to be pushed back to late spring or early summer . I was injured at work an inguinal hernia i have to see the surgen this this thursday to talk about the repair but i am thinking the surgery might be in a month or more so the recovery time might run into April.

Oof! Good luck Eric.

Sorry to hear that Eric! No worries about the class. We'll do it when you're healed up and ready! Good luck at the Drs office.

Thank you all... On the upside i will have alot of down time so i will have more time to get things rolling . I am still waiting to hear back from Jason to work out details but I will shoot him a new email tonight to see whats up .
If in case Jason does not work out do to his sechedule i do have a back up in the works another prior service Marine scout recon sniper who is a friend of one of my close buddies, He is a good guy and I think lives he in the Lyndeborough Wilton NH area so he should be up for the class if needed.
Eric

nheric - Hoping you're feeling better. Back/neck injuries are no joke. [sad2]

I've been watching this thread for a while, hoping that the wife's job situation (and thus the rifle situation) improves...but no luck so far. I'd be very interested in this, but I'm going to be limited to a bolt .223/5.56 with heavy match ammo and a mil-dot 4-14X scope.

thanks metal .
My injury is a little ways from my neck i have a Hernia in the groin area near my right leg lol.

I am sure you will be fine with the the .223 we will be shooting at other distances other then just 800 yards and you should hit fine at the 500 to 600 yard mark. I dont know when the 223 will go subsonic but that and the wind might be a factor for the .223 at 800 yards.

Thank you all... On the upside i will have alot of down time so i will have more time to get things rolling . I am still waiting to hear back from Jason to work out details but I will shoot him a new email tonight to see whats up .
If in case Jason does not work out do to his sechedule i do have a back up in the works another prior service Marine scout recon sniper who is a friend of one of my close buddies, He is a good guy and I think lives he in the Lyndeborough Wilton NH area so he should be up for the class if needed.
Eric

Hope you heal quickly. If those men fall through there is probably a poser somewhere that will claim to be a sniper. Interweb is full of them. Lol

thanks metal .
My injury is a little ways from my neck i have a Hernia in the groin area near my right leg lol.
Reading comprehension fail...That, and multiple friends with neck/back injuries recently.

Hey, it's inches from the hea...err...nevermind. [wink]
I am sure you will be fine with the the .223 we will be shooting at other distances other then just 800 yards and you should hit fine at the 500 to 600 yard mark. I dont know when the 223 will go subsonic but that and the wind might be a factor for the .223 at 800 yards.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to figure that out. Going to have to find/order something heavier than 62gr and see how it works. Too bad I've got nowhere longer than 100 yards to figure that out in the meantime.

Hope you heal quickly. If those men fall through there is probably a poser somewhere that will claim to be a sniper. Interweb is full of them. Lol

maybe we caan contact nutnfancey to hold the class after 5 hours of lecture we would get 15 minutes of practice

Back
Top Bottom