• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fatal Shooting in Worcester by Westborough LTC holder UPDATE: Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter! 4-7 Year Sentence with 77 Days Credit.

I still believe that involuntary manslaughter is a conviction but a conviction based on the fact that it was the deceased actions that caused the "incident" 2 years in jail is about average unless its NY where you likely never get charged in the first place.

I would think an appeal will most certainly happen.

Shot from inside the car. Yes, driver’s side
Assuming he shot while the guy was still raging and not retreating, it's hard to find an excuse to convict him in that situation. The prosecution must have argued that he had the opportunity to drive away. I do wonder if an expert could have helped. My armchair psychology conjecture is that operating heavy machinery is not an instinctive reaction in a fight-or-flight scenario. You move very slowly at first and are forced to divert all of your limbs and attention away from the threat while you're doing it. If you have no means of fight or flight other than driving away, then I assume you'll get there by process of elimination, but it might not be easy to skip over the possibility of armed defense.

Assuming he shot while the guy was still raging and not retreating, it's hard to find an excuse to convict him in that situation. The prosecution must have argued that he had the opportunity to drive away. I do wonder if an expert could have helped. My armchair psychology conjecture is that operating heavy machinery is not an instinctive reaction in a fight-or-flight scenario. You move very slowly at first and are forced to divert all of your limbs and attention away from the threat while you're doing it. If you have no means of fight or flight other than driving away, then I assume you'll get there by process of elimination, but it might not be easy to skip over the possibility of armed defense.
The fact is he followed Smith. They were initially travelling in opposite directions. Peckham followed him and tailgated him. The window was not shattered and Peckham was not physically accosted before firing the fatal shot. Prosecution had him dead to rights. This wouldn't even fly in a stand your ground state.

The fact is he followed Smith. They were initially travelling in opposite directions. Peckham followed him and tailgated him. The window was not shattered and Peckham was not physically accosted before firing the fatal shot. Prosecution had him dead to rights. This wouldn't even fly in a stand your ground state.
Well......if getting hit with a bag of popcorn is justification for shooting someone a smashed window should also qualify......

The fact that he followed him. That sunk him....

A road rage incident played out when Smith, who was at a light at the intersection of Lancaster and Highland streets, took a right onto Highland Street before allowing Peckham to go through the intersection when the light turned green, according to Casella.

“The defendant became angered by this and began to blow his horn and tailgate the victim up Highland Street,” Casella said

The prosecutor said video surveillance from buildings along Highland Street shows Peckham traveling very closely behind Smith’s car.

After being tailed, Smith stopped his car in the area of Bowdoin Street and got out and approached Peckham’s car, Casella said.

“It’s alleged that the victim punched the window of the defendant’s car,” Casella said.

“The window did spider, it did not shatter.
[rofl]

This case firmly reemphasizes that in Ma you will not get a pass on self defense unless you are absolutely pressed into a corner with no ability to retreat.

This is true.

But also, it’s really not clear that this was self defense. It’s not self defense if you provoke the altercation. If someone pisses you off in traffic and you decide to follow them, tailgating, honking your horn, they stop and you stop and then they get out and break your window, that’s a little different than if it just random it happens unprovoked.

Unprovoked, I think he walks.

If the facts of the article above are true, I think he deserves a good long hard lesson in jail.

A road rage incident played out when Smith, who was at a light at the intersection of Lancaster and Highland streets, took a right onto Highland Street before allowing Peckham to go through the intersection when the light turned green, according to Casella.

“The defendant became angered by this and began to blow his horn and tailgate the victim up Highland Street,” Casella said

The prosecutor said video surveillance from buildings along Highland Street shows Peckham traveling very closely behind Smith’s car.

After being tailed, Smith stopped his car in the area of Bowdoin Street and got out and approached Peckham’s car, Casella said.

“It’s alleged that the victim punched the window of the defendant’s car,” Casella said.

“The window did spider, it did not shatter.
[rofl]
Smith is heading southbound on Lancaster Street, a one way road. Peckham is heading westbound on Highland Street (Rt 9). Smith takes a right turn on Highland Street, heading westbound, directly in front of Peckham. They travel a distance of less than a quarter mile and Smith comes to a stop in the area of Boynton Street. The next traffic light westbound would have been West Street, about another tenth of a mile down the road.

Well......if getting hit with a bag of popcorn is justification for shooting someone a smashed window should also qualify......
But he wasn't hit at all. A Window was hit. The altercation would have never happened if Peckham had simply let it go instead of tailgating him and honking his horn. This would piss just about anyone off. Could have just flipped him off and been done with the whole thing. Now he's going to prison.
They say the window was broken.
“The defendant became angered by this and began to blow his horn and tailgate the victim up Highland Street,” Casella said. The prosecutor said video surveillance from buildings along Highland Street shows Peckham traveling very closely behind Smith’s car. After being tailed, Smith stopped his car in the area of Bowdoin Street and got out and approached Peckham’s car, Casella said. “It’s alleged that the victim punched the window of the defendant’s car,” Casella said. “The window did spider, it did not shatter.”

But he wasn't hit at all. A Window was hit. The altercation would have never happened if Peckham had simply let it go instead of tailgating him and honking his horn. This would piss just about anyone off. Could have just flipped him off and been done with the whole thing. Now he's going to prison.

“The defendant became angered by this and began to blow his horn and tailgate the victim up Highland Street,” Casella said. The prosecutor said video surveillance from buildings along Highland Street shows Peckham traveling very closely behind Smith’s car. After being tailed, Smith stopped his car in the area of Bowdoin Street and got out and approached Peckham’s car, Casella said. “It’s alleged that the victim punched the window of the defendant’s car,” Casella said. “The window did spider, it did not shatter.”

So he fired through the window that was spidered?

So he fired through the window that was spidered?
This is the part that I wasn't sure of due to the gap in testimony. I think that his window was partially down, but defense attorney's questioning of a witness seemed to suggest that a woman rolled down the window. Photographs at the scene showed the window half down.

It is really interesting when you contrast this case against the Chicopee case where the homeowner shot through the door.

Chicopee homeowner found not guilty in teen’s shooting death​

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A judge has acquitted a Chicopee resident of manslaughter in the shooting death of a 15 year-old boy who came to his door back in 2016.

Judge Constance Sweeney announced her not guilty verdict Tuesday in the case of Jeffrey Lovell. Lovell had said that he acted in self-defense when he shot Dylan Francisco through the front door of his Chicopee home in July of 2016.

District Attorney Anthony Gulluni had said Francisco had been headed to visit a friend, but mistook Lovell’s home for his friend’s residence. Francisco banged on Lovell’s door, breaking a pane of glass, after which time Lovell fatally shot him.

Lovell had opted to have a “bench trial,” or one in which a judge weighs the evidence and determines a verdict, rather than the more common trial by jury.

Chicopee homeowner found not guilty in teen’s shooting death

This is the part that I wasn't sure of due to the gap in testimony. I think that his window was partially down, but defense attorney's questioning of a witness seemed to suggest that a woman rolled down the window. Photographs at the scene showed the window half down.
What a mess the whole damn thing was.

I keep reading the defendant "followed" the guy but it looks like the guy turned in front of him and in doing so, they were now both traveling in the same direction and were on the same road.
Yep. The narratives are out of control on this one. If the facts are muddy, make up whatever clarity your conclusions require.

I keep reading the defendant "followed" the guy but it looks like the guy turned in front of him and in doing so, they were now both traveling in the same direction and were on the same road.
It seems as though they were coming to the same intersection from opposite directions. the defendant was attempting to go straight, but the deceased turned in front of him, which may have angered the defendant who then followed the deceased down that street while allegedly tailgating and beeping his horn

It seems as though they were coming to the same intersection from opposite directions. the defendant was attempting to go straight, but the deceased turned in front of him, which may have angered the defendant who then followed the deceased down that street while allegedly tailgating and beeping his horn
Now youre doing it too. To the average person, there's a difference between "following" someone and traveling in the same direction as someone, who happens to be in front of you.

Now youre doing it too. To the average person, there's a difference between "following" someone and traveling in the same direction as someone, who happens to be in front of you.

I agree. I don’t know the facts. All opinions I make are assuming the details in the news reports are correct. For example, the prosecution claiming that the defendant was tailgating and beeping his horn based on security camera footage.

Back
Top Bottom