• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Farmington Police Department - Cops responding to wrong address shoot homeowner dead at his door

I think they tried? It seems the cops and the wife had a shootout, then she realized she was going to be killed and tossed her gun, got them to stop shooting. That's a neat trick; I'm curious how she did it.

Them not killing her is the part of this that amazes me the most.
My question also...dead guy doesn't get to file a sex discrimination lawsuit, so there's that

Last edited:
I'd say being unnapreciative of any job generally doesn't lead to good candidates.

With all the shit cops have gotten in the last 3 years what do you expect? Most of your experienced guys bailed and you have a lot of young guys without experience

I'm not defending cops either just stating that the actions of the last 3 years have consequences

That's because 3 years ago, cops who should have known better, that they were in fact being moved like pawns on a chessboard, were happily arresting a young mom in the park and putting her in jail for pushing their toddler child on the swing set and not being 6 feet away. They followed and acted on orders that they knew were wrong and still, they did it anyways.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is a profession that is dying off and they did it to themselves. I didn't do it, you didn't do it, they did it all by themselves.

I think they tried? It seems the cops and the wife had a shootout, then she realized she was going to be killed and tossed her gun, got them to stop shooting. That's a neat trick; I'm curious how she did it.

Them not killing her is the part of this that amazes me the most.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't just go up and down the street shooting every dog and cat in the neighborhood. You know for officer safety reasons.

Dude a two man sniper team were taking the slack up on their Rem 700, 50 meters behind from the nine man entry team at my front door 10.30Pm. I was just back from Florida and was sleeping....1000 things could have went south quick. The fact that I had present of mind to deal with it was 50% of the equation...makes shiver to think how close it was...

WTF was that kind of heat at your house for dawg?

Another police shooting of an unarmed white man. No justice no peace! White lives matter! Burn the f***ing cities down!!! Systemic Racism!!!

At what point do the hiring standards drop so low that it’s better having no police on the job than the ones applying?

I just want to know what the hiring criteria is most PDs in this country. I'm guessing beyond a pulse and breathing it's pretty much nothing else. This is also what happens when citizens are no longer citizens, we're civilians aka enemy combatants.
Defund the police weeded out many of the decent cops. Those who remain and many of the new generation are smooth brained social justice warriors that are “just doing their job” and “just following orders”.

Last edited:
Another police "Oops!" this weekend:

That was very unfortunate and sad. One thing that could help prevent this is having house numbers right near the door. When you think about this, not a lot of homes have house numbers near their door because they're out on the mailbox. The problem with that is in rural areas, the mailboxes are all on the same side of the street and you have to know which side is odd and which is even.
I actually failed a smoke permit test selling one of my homes because I didn't have numbers on the house. Had to run to home depot and put them on and got the permit later in the day.

Plenty have done that to get someone to come to the door unassuming before robbing them.
I understand being armed... but if i get a knock on my door at 1130 and see flashing blues I'm going to do what i can to conceal the fact i am armed.

That's all I'm saying

Unless they straight kicked in his door there really wasn't a need to show them his gun

That was very unfortunate and sad. One thing that could help prevent this is having house numbers right near the door. When you think about this, not a lot of homes have house numbers near their door because they're out on the mailbox.

Could being the operative word. You are giving too much credit to police.

Here in a non-dynamic nor urgent situation, in broad daylight, police who walk right by the giant numbers on the house attempt to break into the wrong house. This is sadly, not uncommon.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-n9SmLAZWQ&pp=ygUbcG9saWNlIGV2aWN0aW9uIHdyb25nIGhvdXNl

I understand being armed... but if i get a knock on my door at 1130 and see flashing blues I'm going to do what i can to conceal the fact i am armed.

That's all I'm saying

Unless they straight kicked in his door there really wasn't a need to show them his gun
Where do you see anywhere that they had their lights flashing? When they originally knocked they got no answer and backed off to have dispatch contact the original caller.

How do you know there was no need to “show them his gun”? Armed people show up at your house unannounced who then proceed to shoot you dead would say otherwise.

I’ll give the guy who was minding his own business the benefit of the doubt.

Where do you see anywhere that they had their lights flashing? When they originally knocked they got no answer and backed off to have dispatch contact the original caller.

How do you know there was no need to “show them his gun”? Armed people show up at your house unannounced who then proceed to shoot you dead would say otherwise.

I’ll give the guy who was minding his own business the benefit of the doubt.
I give 0 people the benefit of the doubt

we will see what happened soon enough I'm sure

Seems like an innocent mistake

Yep. Totally innocent. Nobody died. Wait a second….

If by innocent mistake you mean they killed an “innocent” person by mistake, right on.

But I know you don’t mean that and instead are wearing your blue glasses and will definitely cops at all cost.

Farmington Police Department officers ‘mistakenly approached’ 5305 Valley View Avenue instead of 5308 Valley View Avenue, which is across the street, New Mexico State Police stated on Thursday.

That was very unfortunate and sad. One thing that could help prevent this is having house numbers right near the door. When you think about this, not a lot of homes have house numbers near their door because they're out on the mailbox. The problem with that is in rural areas, the mailboxes are all on the same side of the street and you have to know which side is odd and which is even.

Here is the house, looking from the road, from Google maps:
1681006195472.png

I should clarify: I don't know that he did "escalate." IF he did, he was within his rights, especially if the cops drew on him. Which I can imagine they did, given the situation as they thought it was.

If the cops thought it was a domestic and saw a gun in his hand, I'm thinking that's all the "escalation" they believed they needed to see before drawing on him. That would not surprise me.
Which might even fly, if they were at the correct house.
You would think after this shit has happened over and over and over it would be a basic rule in responding to calls to make sure you are at the right place before engaging .
Guess it's too hard of a concept..

Which might even fly, if they were at the correct house.
You would think after this shit has happened over and over and over it would be a basic rule in responding to calls to make sure you are at the right place before engaging .
Guess it's too hard of a concept..

Exactly.

The issue here isn't what happened at the front door; that's understandable, in a lot of ways.

The issue here is what happened at the curb, or maybe even in the cruiser. Or perhaps on the radio.

That idiot Floyd committed a crime and for lack of a better term was a complete waste of human flesh. When he was killed by cops protests ran across the country like a plague.

This innocent law abiding citizen was shot dead in his doorway by an inept police department and because he was a legal gun owner this is barely a blip in the news.

Very sad.
Well he was white, too. Not a protected class

I used to do a lot of service work at peoples homes.

For the most part it’s easy enough to find and see the house number, but from time to time I’d run across a home where the house number is barely visible by a side door, the mailbox numbering is half fallen off, the number is on the front door but it’s behind a pillar, etc etc.

Go to Home Depot, get some big ole numbers for the front door, and then do the mailbox too.

Edit: if you’re going to answer your front door armed, really should consider how you do so…

I used to do a lot of service work at peoples homes.

For the most part it’s easy enough to find and see the house number, but from time to time I’d run across a home where the house number is barely visible by a side door, the mailbox numbering is half fallen off, the number is on the front door but it’s behind a pillar, etc etc.

Go to Home Depot, get some big ole numbers for the front door, and then do the mailbox too.

Edit: if you’re going to answer your front door armed, really should consider how you do so…
I think much depends on your property location and layout. Being a bit back from the street, I would need a flashing neon sign with at least 12" numbers for someone at the street to see it and read it... and it would still likely take binoculars to get it right.

On the other hand, my mailbox at the street has my house number on it on three sides and the house number is also tacked to a tree (as is common in my neighborhood). You'd have to be blind to miss all of them. I had actually put small additional house number signs up on both sides of my driveway, but the mailman made me take them down (he kept hitting them).

My front door is not really visible from the street or my driveway. We had planned to put the number on or near the front door in some tasteful way, but it would be essentially useless. My side entrance door is recessed so also pretty darn useless there too.

Bottom line is that a number on the house would only be put there to meet the law, if so required. Otherwise... useless.

I'm beginning to think that maybe they aren't the good guys the boot lickers think they are.
And our famous case

The Fitchburg Chainsaw Massacre is one of my favorite horror stories. I can only imagine the poor lady watching a chainsaw blade come THOUGH her front door. Even years later I remember the detail of her trying to protect her dog with her own body.

Another popular one was in Metrowest. A local kid was suspected of dealing joints at the gas station near his house. He'd get a call, go meet somebody, come back. So instead of nabbing the kid on his way home from a sale, they used flash bang grenades, invaded the residence at O Dark Thirty, then shot and killed the kid's step father (who was laying face down on the floor with his hands cuffed behind his back, at the time).

And you thought these things only happened out in Arizona or New Mexico!

Back
Top Bottom