• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Farmington Police Department - Cops responding to wrong address shoot homeowner dead at his door

the hiring standards right now, since nobody wants to do the job?

a pulse will get you appointed to most agencies these days

And you are spot on about us being "enemy combatants"

That is the price we pay for former soldiers who come back from overseas deployments with service related mental issues not being properly treated by Uncle Sam getting extra points on Civil Service as if being a soldier is a transferable skill to law enforcement.

I will say that, and we saw this in the most recent school shooting, that former military can get into a building and sweep the place like no others, you could tell from second one from the body camera that those cops had been in some bad places and bad situations,

That is not meant to be disrespectful of those who served, it is a slam at the Federal Government and VA who failed to get these guys fixed and sent them back to civilian life like that, and it is not just the guys from the last 30 years over in the Sandbox, the Nam era veterans were just as likely to have untreated PTSD and hired as cops. The worst cops in my home town, the ones that had the worst records, reputations, lawsuits for civil rights violations were the ones hired in the early 70's after they did time in Vietnam.

And even if the new hires were not former servicemen and women, they are being trained by former military and the training is military in nature.

Let's not forget this case.

I know of several cases in my home town where a cop was too smart to be a cop.

They would last a couple of years or so and resign to go into the private sector in a non LE capacity

They were pretty much run out of the department by the same guys I mentioned in my previous post

I just want to know what the hiring criteria is most PDs in this country. I'm guessing beyond a pulse and breathing it's pretty much nothing else. This is also what happens when citizens are no longer citizens, we're civilians aka enemy combatants.
Enemy combatants category would get better ROE and accountability

I'm beginning to think that maybe they aren't the good guys the boot lickers think they are.
And our famous case

You would be wrong, numerous videos out there where people knock on the door to get homeowners to open the door and then they rush in, they pretend they are pizza delivery, police and more. This falls squarely on the police and the police alone
I mean i agree this is very much on the cops
I'm not absolving them

Idk every stranger that knocks gets a gun behind the back and a polite conversation 6 feet away.
The owner probably did something to escalate the situation. Is all I'm saying

I'm hoping FINALLY that a loved one of the person murdered has the stones to go seek justice as the investigation will reveal mistakes were made and retraining is needed but that's about it.

Not the first time the wrong address is the excuse. How many times do you watch video for 5 minutes of put the gun down. These guys just open up on the dude. In his house. You are the ones knocking on the door at 11:30 at night. You don't think a gun will be in a hand?

If someone was knocking at that time of night, I would be responding armed. So absolutely no fault here on the homeowner. That said.... if someone is knocking at 11:30 at night, step 1 is don't open the door. I am in no way blaming the homeowner. I would have just done things differently.

Gross negligence and incompetence here... Situations like this are where qualified immunity should not apply and the responding offers should be held personally liable for damages and face manslaughter charges.

That was very unfortunate and sad. One thing that could help prevent this is having house numbers right near the door. When you think about this, not a lot of homes have house numbers near their door because they're out on the mailbox. The problem with that is in rural areas, the mailboxes are all on the same side of the street and you have to know which side is odd and which is even.
Firstly. Not all rural mailboxes are on the same side of the street.
Secondly. You're assuming that cops can read, understand numbers, concepts like even / odd, or other higher brain functions.
I don't want to defund the police but in all seriousness, maybe disarming them is really the answer.
A gun is not the answer to every situation and honestly cops are using up every ounce of goodwill they get from their good works with stories like that.

I just want to know what the hiring criteria is most PDs in this country. I'm guessing beyond a pulse and breathing it's pretty much nothing else. This is also what happens when citizens are no longer citizens, we're civilians aka enemy combatants.
I'd say being unnapreciative of any job generally doesn't lead to good candidates.

With all the shit cops have gotten in the last 3 years what do you expect? Most of your experienced guys bailed and you have a lot of young guys without experience

I'm not defending cops either just stating that the actions of the last 3 years have consequences

maybe they aren't the good guys
[rofl]

takes a surprisingly long time to get to such a conclusion. :)
call police on a family = get everyone killed. it just gets here to what it is everywhere - no one ever calls police, no matter the reason.

If someone was knocking at that time of night, I would be responding armed. So absolutely no fault here on the homeowner. That said.... if someone is knocking at 11:30 at night, step 1 is don't open the door. I am in no way blaming the homeowner. I would have just done things differently.

Gross negligence and incompetence here... Situations like this are where qualified immunity should not apply and the responding offers should be held personally liable for damages and face manslaughter charges.
I don't even open the door at 11:30 AM unless I know who it is and sometimes then even not.

These people had the situational awareness to arm up, but not to try to figure out who it was before opening the door? That's a fail. Doesn't mean the cops aren't ultimately at fault, though...

Not necessarily.

They were responding to a domestic and they were greeted with a gun. It's understandable they believed they might be in danger, based on what they thought they knew. But based on what the homeowner thought he knew, "escalating the situation" was fully within his rights: it was HIS house.

Unfortunately, they were raving idiots who did not understand numbers. The most shocking thing to me about this case is that the wife wasn't killed as well.

Not necessarily.

They were responding to a domestic and they were greeted with a gun. It's understandable they believed they might be in danger, based on what they thought they knew. But based on what the homeowner thought he knew, "escalating the situation" was fully within his rights: it was HIS house.

Unfortunately, they were raving idiots who did not understand numbers. The most shocking thing to me about this case is that the wife wasn't killed as well.
Your within your rights to have the gun... but like look out a window first? You can't tell me he didn't see flashing blues either

Common sense isn't all that common.

If anyone bangs on my door at 1130 at night I'm peaking out a window first not just ripping the door open with my tightie whities and my nods

Id still stay armed in case they aren't cops lol

And i do understand that perspective dude brings a gun to a dv and yep shit got real for the cops they think he just killed her prob

Still their fault

There’s no allegation that the homeowner shot first, is there? That he even raised the gun? Not sure how anybody can hang any fault or blame on the homeowners - or make any excuse for the cop(s) - in this situation otherwise.

Your within your rights to have the gun... but like look out a window first? You can't tell me he didn't see flashing blues either

Common sense isn't all that common.

If anyone bangs on my door at 1130 at night I'm peaking out a window first not just ripping the door open with my tightie whities and my nods

Id still stay armed in case they aren't cops lol

And i do understand that perspective dude brings a gun to a dv and yep shit got real for the cops they think he just killed her prob

Still their fault

I should clarify: I don't know that he did "escalate." IF he did, he was within his rights, especially if the cops drew on him. Which I can imagine they did, given the situation as they thought it was.

If the cops thought it was a domestic and saw a gun in his hand, I'm thinking that's all the "escalation" they believed they needed to see before drawing on him. That would not surprise me.

I should clarify: I don't know that he did "escalate." IF he did, he was within his rights, especially if the cops drew on him. Which I can imagine they did, given the situation as they thought it was.

If the cops thought it was a domestic and saw a gun in his hand, I'm thinking that's all the "escalation" they believed they needed to see before drawing on him. That would not surprise me.
Yeah i agree he's within his rights

But i have the right to bang someone's wife... i shouldn't be surprised however if he beats my ass

Just because you have a right doesn't mean it's the prudent thing to do

Dude on a call like this your door will be knocked down, period. When it's knocked down, they'll be charging and 100% amped.

I mean kinda on the home owner too tho

No one breaking into your house is going to knock probably lol put the gun behind your back

I mean i agree this is very much on the cops
I'm not absolving them

Idk every stranger that knocks gets a gun behind the back and a polite conversation 6 feet away.

Talk about mental gymnastics.

How about the cops, the dispatcher or both were morons and own 100% of the blame. Not the 52 year old who was ventilated while on his property at 11:30 PM while comitting NO crime. And right on cue they conceal the names of the murderers and say the video will be released in a week after everyone forgets about the story.

This also recently happened. Different story. Same result.

Police go to wrong house and shoot innocent man, let him bleed out. Don’t worry, they are investigating themselves which is why nothings been done and they’ve kept hidden all the details in the 3 months since this took place.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkkmkF5RBg&pp=ygUXUmF5IGtpbmcgbWFkaXNvbiBjb3VudHk%3D

Talk about mental gymnastics.

How about the cops, the dispatcher or both were morons and own 100% of the blame. Not the 52 year old who was ventilated while on his property at 11:30 PM while comitting NO crime. And right on cue they conceal the names of the murderers and say the video will be released in a week after everyone forgets about the story.
Dude I'm pretty clear here the cops are to blame like 99.995%

But im willing to bet he didnt help his case here either without watching the video

Another way to say it: the homeowner was behaving within his rights, by definition. The police officers were committing an armed home invasion. Or, at best, they were trespassing.
another way to say it: police heroes prevented one more potential mass shooting by eliminating 2 armed domestic terrorists. as wife will not be left unpunished neither.

Understand but explain not shooting the woman?

Understand but explain not shooting the woman?

I think they tried? It seems the cops and the wife had a shootout, then she realized she was going to be killed and tossed her gun, got them to stop shooting. That's a neat trick; I'm curious how she did it.

Them not killing her is the part of this that amazes me the most.

Maybe. Or maybe they'll have more ample time to identify themselves and then.... nothing bad happens.
Dude a two man sniper team were taking the slack up on their Rem 700, 50 meters behind from the nine man entry team at my front door 10.30Pm. I was just back from Florida and was sleeping....1000 things could have went south quick. The fact that I had present of mind to deal with it was 50% of the equation...makes shiver to think how close it was...

Back
Top Bottom