FAL Rifles

I know that Fabrique Nationale FN/FALs are banned in CT.....but are Imbels and DSA FALs legal in CT? I never see any in the shops or at the ranges. Just wondering since I am in the market for a .308 and i would highly consider that rifle or the PTR 91.

Here is the assault weapons defined In
CHAPTER 943
OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE AND SAFETY
off Connecticut's website

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

I think its going to come down to interpretation of the law. As long as it does not have any EVIL features, you could argue it does not Explicitly ban that weapon. Another words you could still get hassled by the cops for having it, even though a good lawyer could argue the case.

Someone else can chime in with any actual case laws that may or may not be in your favor.

The only FAL that is banned in CT is the FN. It is a specific name ban much like the "Colt AR15." It doesn't fall under the "AK Type" verbiage.

That said - a DSA FAL would have to remain post ban compliant. I know people who are into FALs and have done buildups from parts kits with DSA recievers. In that case it has to be both 922r compliant and CT AWB compliant.

Are you guys missing this part ?

Any FN FAL that BATF has determined is (actually was would be more accurate from the 1989 import ban.) ok to import and does not require a 200.00 tax stamp is not a select fire firearm IE its a Title I firearm and not a Title II firearm.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

Interestingly enough I have seen Colt AR's for sale. I think that as long as its not a SPORTER model then its considered ok.

If it is a Colt and marked "AR15" or "Sporter" or any variation such as "AR15A2" or "Sporter II" then it's banned by name in CT. That means that every Colt preban rifle is banned by name in CT with the exception of the "Colt Carbine" model 6521.

The Colt Match Target rifles are CT legal and AWB compliant and the 6920 is CT legal if mad ban compliant.

The only people who can legally own a banned by name gun would be those that registered for a certificate of possession as outlined in CGS Sec. 53-202d.

Are you guys missing this part ?

2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

Any FN FAL that BATF has determined is (actually was would be more accurate from the 1989 import ban.) ok to import and does not require a 200.00 tax stamp is not a select fire firearm IE its a Title I firearm and not a Title II firearm.

Take notice to the part underlined.

That part slipped by me.

Nevermind.

homer_doh.png

But the classifying Title II items with Title I like they have done saying a Select fire weapon is a AW is wrong IMO.

Take notice to the part underlined.

Last edited:
That part slipped by me.

Nevermind.

But the classifying Title II items with Title I like they have done saying a Select fire weapon is a AW is wrong IMO.

There is a lot wrong with the AWB. The fact that there even is one is wrong. The fact that one can leagally obtain and own a full auto only machinegun but can not own a select fire machinegun is beyond illogical. Maybe someday all of this will go away but I am not holding my breath.

Finally found a FAL in CT. Newington had a few around the holidays but they both sold as soon as they arrived. I was informed of the lengty waiting list and got kinda bummed. Then i walked into my local shop in and some guy just traded in a barely fired DSA SA 58 (CT compliant of course)......$1000 later i walked out with a new toy. Weird thing is that my buddys looked at me cross eyed when i showed them the rifle.......you think with 90 plus countries adopting it in the past, that they would recognize it. Guess that if it is not an American black rifle then it doesn't exist.

None of my friends knew what an FAL was until I showed it to them. And none of them cared until they fired it.

FYI the DSA warranty isn't transferable, so you don't have a warranty on that gun since it is used. I don't know how they are about warranty work, but I bet you'll never need to find out.

Back
Top Bottom