Fair price for Mauser 1909....

The gun is in fair to good condition, appears to be able to clean up OK. It's the Argentine model, engineers carbine. Seller wants $250. Is that a fair price?

Dave

Gunbroker.com currently has a few listed, ranging from $349 to $699. Like all milsurps, it's all about condition. Watch for cracks, pitted barrel under the wood, and lousy bore.

C&R buds (that I use for a general price guide) lists a "good" condition 1909 Argentine Mauser in the $165 - $260 range:

http://www.fo.com/cr-buds/prices.asp

Remember, these are in 7.65 x 53mm caliber, and can sometimes be hard to find ammo for -unless you roll your own.

Good Luck!

Thank you....

For taking time to reply. If there was a split or crack in the wooden stock, how would that effect the value or safety of the piece?

Dave

Gunbroker.com currently has a few listed, ranging from $349 to $699. Like all milsurps, it's all about condition. Watch for cracks, pitted barrel under the wood, and lousy bore.

C&R buds (that I use for a general price guide) lists a "good" condition 1909 Argentine Mauser in the $165 - $260 range:

http://www.fo.com/cr-buds/prices.asp

Remember, these are in 7.65 x 53mm caliber, and can sometimes be hard to find ammo for -unless you roll your own.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
For taking time to reply. If there was a split or crack in the wooden stock, how would that effect the value or safety of the piece?

Dave

Depends where the crack is. On some model rifles, a decent length split or crack behind the tang will only get worse and probably affect accuracy if not repaired correctly. Thats why even Finn Mosins with stock cracks behind the tang are pretty cheap.
Handguards on the other hand, especially the upper, just bring the value down a little bit. They along with cracks in the lower handguard can often be fixed by applying a small bead of super glue from inside the stock.

As far as the reduction in value - totally subjective. You could look at the cost of a replacement stock piece (if you could find one), and use that as a deduction. But to many folks, the non-matching look really destroys the collectibility. If you are just after a shooter, though - no problem!

My Enfield No.1 Mk 4 has a light stock and a dark upper handguard. But with a mint bore and vernier rear sight, it shoots great!

Thank you....

My Mauser 1891 has a crack in the stock under the barrel. Other than that it's in perfect condition. I just think it's one elegant gun.

Dave

As far as the reduction in value - totally subjective. You could look at the cost of a replacement stock piece (if you could find one), and use that as a deduction. But to many folks, the non-matching look really destroys the collectibility. If you are just after a shooter, though - no problem!

My Enfield No.1 Mk 4 has a light stock and a dark upper handguard. But with a mint bore and vernier rear sight, it shoots great!

I just got my stock for the 1909 barreled action I won in Glenn's raffle via UPS today. It was only $39.99 off E Bay and has all the metal hardware needed.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom