• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1903-a3 price?

Hi everyone!

I feel a little silly posting this. What is a fair price to expect for a Remington 1903-a3? Maybe that’s like asking “how long is a piece of string”, I’m not sure. I’m looking to pick one up as a surprise for my husband this year (we both have our licenses). I see them floating around occasionally for around $1500-1700 at local shops, though not very many at the moment I’m finding. I’m wondering if this is a fair price? I’m a little overwhelmed by all the things to check for. I know the 1903s have the issue with serial numbers under 800,000, and that you should be on the lookout to avoid revived drill rifles. It also sounds like there’s a lot of swapped parts that can occur; I’d like something that’s original, but I’m not sure how much that affects the value. As great as original parts would be, the thing that matters most is that it’s safe to shoot. Any help would be appreciated.

The under 800,000 number is dangerous is now a myth. Those were used through 2 World Wars and any bad receivers would’ve blown up by now. So don’t worry about that. I just picked up a 1903 Mark 1 for $1495. I believe Liberty Tree Collectors may still have an 03-A3 for sale for about $1500 or so. Check Simpson Limited too.

Last edited:
Thank you guys! Yes, I believe what I had read about the 800,000 SNs was about the 1903, not 1903a3. Good to know that the safety issue isn’t the case in any regard. I will check those leads out, someone here also reached out about a nice one that they have, so I may go that way as well!

I've been out of the 03 game for a long time now but seeing as SKS's are selling for $900+ these days I can only imagine what a solid 03 goes for now. Most I ever paid was around 600-700 for a nice condition C-stock but that was almost 20 years ago

Thank you guys! Yes sorry, that was my flub, what I had read about the 800,000 SNs was about the 1903, not 1903a3. Good to know that the safety issue isn’t the case in any regard. I will check those leads out, someone here also reached out about a nice one that they have, so I may go that way as well!
Ammo played a part in that as well.

You might find a beater with a really worn but shootable bore for around 900-1k, for a good shooter with a decent bore I'd expect around 1200-1500, for something minty fresh with a perfect bore and a nice clean stock your looking at close to or maybe even 2k+ nowadays.

Hi everyone!

I feel a little silly posting this. What is a fair price to expect for a Remington 1903-a3? Maybe that’s like asking “how long is a piece of string”, I’m not sure. I’m looking to pick one up as a surprise for my husband this year (we both have our licenses). I see them floating around occasionally for around $1500-1700 at local shops, though not very many at the moment I’m finding. I’m wondering if this is a fair price? I’m a little overwhelmed by all the things to check for. I know the 1903s have the issue with serial numbers under 800,000, and that you should be on the lookout to avoid revived drill rifles. It also sounds like there’s a lot of swapped parts that can occur; I’d like something that’s original, but I’m not sure how much that affects the value. As great as original parts would be, the thing that matters most is that it’s safe to shoot. Any help would be appreciated.
I highly suggest joining the CMP forums (lots of milsurp collectors and sellers there). That’s where I bought my remington 1903a3 back in 2016. I believe I paid $825 shipped. It was in nice shape and shoots great.

A Remington just sold for $995 shipped over there. There’s a smith corona for $1200. Been bumped once so they may take a lower offer

Oh great idea thank you! I can check that out. I’d rather not deal with the hassle of shipping, however I may look into it if the price is right. Thank you!

Just post in the WTB section. Is this thread a way around becoming a member to post a WTB 🤔

Just post in the WTB section. Is this thread a way around becoming a member to post a WTB 🤔
Absolutely not, that was not my intention at all. I don’t have an issue with paying to make an actual WTB thread - I was happily a paying member when I originally joined, I just haven’t been active in a while until today. Sorry everyone if it came across that way. I appreciate the help everyone has given me so far, I really had the best of intentions. If comments can be closed so that nobody gets the wrong idea, that is ok with me. Thanks everyone

Absolutely not, that was not my intention at all. I don’t have an issue with paying to make an actual WTB thread - I was happily a paying member when I originally joined, I just haven’t been active in a while until today. Sorry everyone if it came across that way. I appreciate the help everyone has given me so far, I really had the best of intentions. If comments can be closed so that nobody gets the wrong idea, that is ok with me. Thanks everyone
$1200-$1500 is a decent rifle just take your time and if you cant tell what a good rifle is find someone to help. If its not for collecting dont pay for the collectability.
Friend of mine grabbed a a3 at kittery , had a new production barrel and missing the upper wood.
$800

Oh great idea thank you! I can check that out. I’d rather not deal with the hassle of shipping, however I may look into it if the price is right. Thank you!
Assuming you have your LTC or are working with your spouse for the gift, shipping is actually quite easy so long as the seller is legit. CMP forum is generally safe if you do a little homework and see good feedback for the seller. The seller simply ships to your local FFL, then you fill out the 4473 upon pick up. You fill out the EFA10 on your own via the Mass online portal.

Thanks guys! I did find a local shop that has one for a little over 1500. I may end up having to do that since I’m running out of time for shipping. I thought about offering them 1100-1200 cash but I don’t want to insult them or seem rude so, I’ll have to see what I come up with first.

Thanks guys! I did find a local shop that has one for a little over 1500. I may end up having to do that since I’m running out of time for shipping. I thought about offering them 1100-1200 cash but I don’t want to insult them or seem rude so, I’ll have to see what I come up with first.
Dont be afraid to make a offer, Only thing they can do is say no.

I would wager the shop took it in for much less than that.

Back
Top Bottom