Expert testifies that a single round from an AR-15 can sever the upper body from the lower body

Some US cities and some countries thought that using .22 rimfire rounds as less-lethal riot control was a good idea. Yeah, I don't think anyone is doing that anymore.
Hell, there was that poor girl killed in Boston by a police pepper ball 20 years ago.

...and filing and arguing a Daubert motion of course costs money too, if you really want to take the legs out from under their guy. It comes down to pocket depth and how important it is to completely discredit the opposing expert in that specific situation.
Often more effective just getting a better expert on your side. What really helps is having the facts on your side, since the truth often comes out when experts do testimonial combat.

Often more effective just getting a better expert on your side. What really helps is having the facts on your side, since the truth often comes out when experts do testimonial combat.

Yes, though sometimes whether or not they file it depends on the stakes. In a big, ugly enough case throwing 6 figures at a daubert motion might end up being worth it, and in the absence of truly glaring problems with the testimony and quals it could end up being the best way to attack them. It's also a great way to professionally destroy a career expert, though some of them somehow manage to keep making a living at it even after they get taken down (they just end up working on the side stages after that, not ever being invited to the main stage again).

Generally it means the client was either using a public defender with no budget for an expert witness, or if using private counsel, the defendant could not afford an expert witness.

My wife works cheap in her expert witness business - $150/hour to review a case, no increase in rate for deposition or courtroom appearances. Chances of getting a deal like that are slim if you need an expert witness - general practice is a minimum of $5K up front to even look at a case, payable in advance.
In my BS case, I called a photo-forensic expert, $20,000 plus expenses...

In my BS case, I called a photo-forensic expert, $20,000 plus expenses...
i wonder if anybody ever had succeeded to force prosecution to pay off the bill for all the defense expenses on those made-up cases.
this is how real tyranny works these days.

What would we do without experts? And I'm clearly doing it wrong.

View: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1624470286598012928

Some of his "testimony":
"The AR-15 and M4 are both designed to fire a .223 round that tumbles upon hitting flesh and rips thru the human body. A single round is capable of severing the upper body from the lower body, or decapitation. "​
"The round is designed to kill, not wound, and both the AR-15 and M4 contain barrel rifling to make the round tumble upon impact and cause more severe injury."​

"Absent any pistol grip, a semi-automatic rifle would be difficult to operate when fired rapidly, as the rifle barrel would seesaw up and down with each shot fired in succession."​
"

Another fun bit:
"The AR-15 is an offensive combat weapon no different in function or purpose than an M4. In my opinion, both weapons are designed to kill as many people as possible, as efficiently as possible, and serve no legitimate sporting or self-defense purpose."​
Hog hunters and Kyle Rittenhouse were unavailable for comment.

You can read all of his testimony, not just the parts above, here:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ssSvFxcpQEgo9b0DJZhU2vptOYgTTsaQ/view

i wonder if anybody ever had succeeded to force prosecution to pay off the bill for all the defense expenses on those made-up cases.
this is how real tyranny works these days.
I tried to hire a lawyer to go after the DA and po-po because I wanted to expose their lies and incompetence. I got laughed at. That was gut shot, as false testimony under oath is a crime. I also found out Mass ranks about last in FOIA requests.

Generally it means the client was either using a public defender with no budget for an expert witness, or if using private counsel, the defendant could not afford an expert witness.

My wife works cheap in her expert witness business - $150/hour to review a case, no increase in rate for deposition or courtroom appearances. Chances of getting a deal like that are slim if you need an expert witness - general practice is a minimum of $5K up front to even look at a case, payable in advance.

Justice ain’t cheap I guess.

The claim that the rifling makes the round tumble should get all his testimony impeached. All the defense has to do is produce two or three of their own experts to establish that that's not true.
This is old Vietnam era propaganda to convince the troops the M16 was more lethal than it actually is.
Total nonsense!

Hell, there was that poor girl killed in Boston by a police pepper ball 20 years ago.
FN 303. Dangerous as f***. I used those a little in the army and the fact that anyone thought those would be ok to use against crowds is wild. Super f***ing dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom