Experience with calf/ankle holster?

I bought one of these for those times when I really want to carry a back up.
It works as advertised and I really like that it has a pocket for spare ammo/cash/credit card/ whatever.

I have big calves so it's a little tight with most jeans but is perfect with khakis etc.

Great videos and reviews on youtube etc.
I only used it with my PM9 and am happy with it.
Didn’t work for me, even with a Kel-Tec P3AT, printing obviously. But it if works for you - it’s a nice holster.

Great for strip clubs too.
I like mine, I where it to church
Ankle holsters - is there nothing they can't do?
c5f36c55149630ff00eda278c637496c.jpg

No9_AirFreshener_H9AF3_Front_Packaging.jpg

Strong reference, but it's "Sleestak"
Buzz Killington over here.

Here I thought @cams had taught me a genuine new Hub vocabulary word.

I haven't been so disappointed since the day I realized that the listing binder
in my Best Man's office labeled "Gimpel SNOBOL Programs"
wasn't employing some obscure term in Yiddish to denote
a collection of text processing programs of dubious quality,
but instead the painstaking entry of the code samples from a book.
6043974-M.jpg

I've never carried using a calf/ankle holster so I'd be interested in hearing from folks that have. Both good and bad.

This would be for a SW 642. Normally i use pocket or kydex holster.
I carry a 637 j frame in ankle holster almost all the time. Started doing it when commuting long distances in cars around MA. I feel naked without it. Even though I usually have an IWB or full size in a bag.

Draw is slow. Tops of my boots have some extra wear marks. The galco holster I have has been a champ. Still on my first one after 8 years.

I briefly tried a G26 in the next size up and it's also comfy. Just like the revolver.

I had to make sure I always have pants a bit longer than needed on inseam. Issue with 33-36 waist sizes is, most of them are cut from 32 scaled up, and sometimes crotch rise distance isnt enough. Sometimes this means more lift on the leg when sitting.

Check yourself. Check twice. Have a buddy check.

Also watch rain. Even with an umbrella, you will get that area wet. Also a little salty in winter.

Weekly oil and check rounds etc.

My galco ankle lite LCR is an excellent holster. However I never use it as ankle carry just seems dumb since I already carry AIWB. If I carry a BUG it’s usually a pocket G42. If I were looking for another ankle holster I’d buy another galco ankle lite for sure. As @Davidk and others point out, ankle carry is severely limited and probably not as useful as it seems.

Last edited:
Great for strip clubs too. Chics always walking up behind you and putting their hands on your back, don’t want them feeling a heater in your belt and freaking out. Just don’t forget to go in the bathroom before you leave and put it back in your belt or pocket in case some sleastack follows you out to try and rob you in the parking lot.
Well considering I have been to a strip club twice in my life, I will store that info in the event life changes.
Once after the company christmas party the guys asked me to go and because I was the boss, went and bought everyone a round, then left.
The second time I was the best man at a wedding and that is where the bachelor party was. I left because the "waitress" was stealing from me and I caught her. When I bitched, she just waved the bouncers over. It was at the Foxy Lady and I was the only guy not drinking booze. I ordered a round and she counted back my change 10 bucks light. Then she did it a second time.
- We provide these to law enforcement to carry a backup a throw down
FIFY

Well considering I have been to a strip club twice in my life, I will store that info in the event life changes.
Once after the company christmas party the guys asked me to go and because I was the boss, went and bought everyone a round, then left.
The second time I was the best man at a wedding and that is where the bachelor party was. I left because the "waitress" was stealing from me and I caught her. When I bitched, she just waved the bouncers over. It was at the Foxy Lady and I was the only guy not drinking booze. I ordered a round and she counted back my change 10 bucks light. Then she did it a second time.

FIFY
It was more a humorous post than anything. I haven’t been to a strip club in years.

I only use an ankle holster when I absolutely have to because I have no other choice. No one ever looks down at your foot/ankle so the chances of being outed are pretty low. As others have said, access to your piece if needed is definitely compromised but at least you’ve got something.
Besides, nowadays, people will just assume it's an ankle monitor.

You guys overthink the whole 'printing' thing :p

I don't ankle carry... but i can't imagine a revolver being comfy there. I feel like i could probably get used to a small auto on the back of my calf but i feel like the cylinder would rub the wrong spot.

Idk i dont shoot wheel guns so this is pure conjecture

I don't ankle carry... but i can't imagine a revolver being comfy there. I feel like i could probably get used to a small auto on the back of my calf but i feel like the cylinder would rub the wrong spot.

Idk i dont shoot wheel guns so this is pure conjecture

For me, it felt the same. The balance was different, but for me that was a function of the way the holster was designed.

To be fair, the average ankle-carried wheelgun is probably just a five-shot .38. That's a fractionally smaller cylinder, and the difference is noticeable. If the back of the holster is lined, it shouldn't feel any different. And you'd probably wear it right above the inside of your ankle, not on the calf.

Between the OP's two choices I'd definitely go with an ankle holster. A lot of places won't let you in with a calf... unless you get one of those 'service animal' vests for it.

Last edited:
I wear Justin boots and clip a cheap IWB holster into the top left boot for my LC9. The top of the gun is right at the top of the boot, so if the holster fails the gun falls into the boot. It’s very comfortable but would be a slow draw. I wear it when driving long distances or sitting for long periods, such as church. From a sitting position it isn’t bad.

An ankle holster is just one more tool in the tool box for use when the situation warrants it.
Do yourself one favor, though, with that 642 and replace the stock grips with something smooth like the Eagle Grips Secret Service. Trust me, those stock rubber grips will grab and slowly tear out every leg hair it can while chewing the s#%t out of bare skin.

An ankle holster is just one more tool in the tool box for use when the situation warrants it.
Do yourself one favor, though, with that 642 and replace the stock grips with something smooth like the Eagle Grips Secret Service. Trust me, those stock rubber grips will grab and slowly tear out every leg hair it can while chewing the s#%t out of bare skin.
I looked at those. But. I'm stock. And after over 1000 days of carry ankle on a 637 (same grips as a 642) I can say I have lost no hairs to the grip material. Neither the firearm not the holster I use has ever directly pullednhairz

I can say the holster had made my hair growth a little different in that leg. No worse than wearing 80s tube socks.

fshalor,

Consider yourself blessed! One quick trip to the mall, sans socks, and I was in AGONY! Couldn't get to the car fast enough to rip that holster off.

Full disclosure, when I looked up those Eagle Grips last night to make sure I was referencing the right ones, I was shocked at what they're asking for those things today. I can assure you I didn't pay anywhere near that price when I bought mine.

Back
Top Bottom