• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Estate Planning: Who are you leaving your guns too? What is you have no one to leave them too?

I suppose it's no different than the other part of your estate planning if you don't have heirs or heirs you like. Thin your collections save for the the must-haves, then will the rest to your favorite gun right advocacy org.

Original Colt Python to my son along with Grandfathers Shotgun. Sigs to my youngest daughter and son-in-law. Rugers to my oldest daughter and son-in-law. Pair of Colt SAA to each. Rest my estate can send to auction or distribute among themselves. My biggest fear is that I have some high end collectables and not everyone will know their history or value.

So the wife and I are starting our estate planning and the question came up as to what I'm going to do with my collection of guns and ammo.... Actually I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. We don't have any kids and nobody in our extended family is all that interested in firearms. I guess options are to leave them to my local gun club, GOAL or sell the entire collection before I die. The selling thing seem sacrilegious to me so I probably will not be doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure my death will be sudden and younger then I would hope. Need to come up with a plan just don't know what that plan will be.

So I know many here will say "Leave them to me!!!". [wink] So who are you leaving your guns too? Do any go to something/someone other then family?

Thanks
If I go before my wife theres a note and list of names in the safe if she cant unload them I told here to donate them to the club if they still exsist.
If I do it right there wont be much left.

Maybe leave them to this forum, where somebody could take charge of the dissemination of the guns to members here. We can post a gun a week, and those interested explain why they should get it? Also, explain how they will pay it forward in your memory. Then the members will vote who gets it. It sounds fun, but may not be your thing. I would just hate to see them go to the government or some democrat who doesn’t care.

i'm in the same boat as OP. no kids. i know one of my godson's loves my henry .357, so it's a no brainer where that goes.

neither one (brothers) is really into guns, more so just a passing fancy. except the older one lives in vermont and owns a (gasp) 40 glock. oh the horror.

but if i know it's time, i'll just offer each one whatever they want and sell the rest.

and if i go suddenly it's up to my wife (LTC holder) to figure out the mess of guns and ammo

Maybe leave them to this forum, where somebody could take charge of the dissemination of the guns to members here. We can post a gun a week, and those interested explain why they should get it? Also, explain how they will pay it forward in your memory. Then the members will vote who gets it. It sounds fun, but may not be your thing. I would just hate to see them go to the government or some democrat who doesn’t care.
There is that funny FFL thing.

I’m shocked at the number of members here with no kids. We all must hide in the weeds or woods.

I'm thinking about a walk-in crypt. My gun collection would be stuffed in a couple pelican cases set beside me. The crypt itself and the door would need to have an extremely secure lock to which only correct descendents would have a key. [ EDIT ] They'll be free to use them but must put them back when done. [ EDIT ] Give a few nice ones to son/daughter if they appreciate them.

Last edited:
hmmmm, this problem has been in the back of my mind for a while. I have no kids, and only have one relative I like enough to give my guns. She lives far away.

So the wife and I are starting our estate planning and the question came up as to what I'm going to do with my collection of guns and ammo.... Actually I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. We don't have any kids and nobody in our extended family is all that interested in firearms. I guess options are to leave them to my local gun club, GOAL or sell the entire collection before I die. The selling thing seem sacrilegious to me so I probably will not be doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure my death will be sudden and younger then I would hope. Need to come up with a plan just don't know what that plan will be.

So I know many here will say "Leave them to me!!!". [wink] So who are you leaving your guns too? Do any go to something/someone other then family?

Thanks

I'm in a similar situation (no kids) .
We just "finished" our estate planning in the Fall.

I'm leaving our firearms and related items to a good friend who has his LTC, and is originally from MI, and his father also has a large collection.

Our family, on both sides is not particularly interested in firearms, with the exception of my wife's father, who is leaving his to us.

My friend is also the executor of my estate, and health care proxy (after my wife).

No kids and effectively no family.

If I go first, everything belongs to my Wife. Once both are gone, our wills designate that they go to Comm2A to help fund some more lawsuits against our enemies in MA.

People in similar situations should consider GOAL or Comm2A as an appropriate place to will their guns to . . . to further the good work that both organizations do for the subjects stuck in MA!

We joke, but seriously:
Once family members and heirs have been fed what they want, you should leave a couple-three four to Derek, and have him auction or Karma them off here on NES, that would be sweet.
Imagine if a bunch of us did this? There would be this ever-flowing circle of guns. Like the circle of life, we'd have a circle of guns! 🥰

One more idea if I ever become terminally ill: I'll convert all my semiauto's to happy-switch and blow my ammo reserve in one happy afternoon. Alphabet bois can suck my snubby after that.

atf-fbi-doj-letsgo-tread-on-their-snakes-15016400.png

We joke, but seriously:
Once family members and heirs have been fed what they want, you should leave a couple-three four to Derek, and have him auction or Karma them off here on NES, that would be sweet.
Imagine if a bunch of us did this? There would be this ever-flowing circle of guns. Like the circle of life, we'd have a circle of guns! 🥰
Maybe the braintrust here can come up with a good idea..

Are you going to try to shoot your way into heaven? [rofl]
Psh, I don't have a chance at getting in up there.

One of two things is going to happen, I'm catching the express elevator straight down and going full Ash Williams, or the Egyptians had it right and I'm going into the afterlife with a gun, some mags, and hopefully a bottle of scotch.

Getting buried with my guns?

Most of my guns already ARE buried.

In 4 different states.

When they come to clean out my house and peel me out of the carpet - there wont be much here.

I'm more worried about them finding my raggedy old used Flesh Light collection after I'm dead.

Perhaps I can start a Karma every month for a few years to get rid of them.

I'd be embarrassed to leave them all in the recycling container.

A guy I know just went through this. His brother died, guns went to him. He did not want them so he sold the collection to a dealer and split the proceeds between his kids.

Best return would be to sell off individually as you age. Another option might be to sell cheap to enthusiasts who would not be able to otherwise afford that gun. I'm occasionally floored by what some of the pieces I bought because I liked them have risen in value. No way I could justify buying some of them now.

My stuff will be given to kids and family according to their enthusiasm. Ie: oldest Nephew or brother gets my grandfather's WW2 side arm so it stays in the direct family.

Others sold, proceeds to my wife or given to my stepdaughter, stepson, or foster son again enthusiasm dependent. Daughter sees them as tools she gets working / modern / practical guns , one son has little to no intrest (he gets nothing, don't cry for him, hell enjoy the 69 AMX instead) other son enjoys shooting he will get some collectable stuff, range toys stuff that's fun to shoot but you wouldn't trust your life to.

Back
Top Bottom