Eotech on carry handle? Opinions?

GaryNH

NES Member
I'm looking for input on mounting an Eotech on my AR's carry handle and am interested in what you think of ease of use, zeroing, does the extra height make the rifle more awkward?... Anything helpful!

I keep waffling between buying a flattop upper or just go with it on the handle of my A2 Bushy.

Thanks,

Gary

1) Mine's on a flat top
2) I've never fired a gun with a carry-handle mounted Eotech.

Of course that's not going to stop me from offering an opinion [wink]

They're not light - not particularly HEAVY but they're not light. I have no idea what mounting one up that high will do to the balance of the rifle but it's the first thought that comes to mind.

Thanks for that! I actually have a "Z" mount that I bought a while back for another application on the carry handle. And, digging deeper into Eotech's website shows this method for carry handle rifles.

Great info! I'm going for it!

Gary

Eotech on carry handle = WAY too high. Maybe a gooseneck mount... Another option is to put a railed forend up front and stick it on that.

You can get away with an aimpoint on it, or a ACOG, but those can be mounted lower... even then, some would argue those are too high.

I'm stuck with an A2 upper at the moment, and that's a big part of the reason
why there are no optics on my AR. [laugh]

-Mike

Thanks for the suggestions again! I totally spaced that I have a RAS on the rifle so I have an existing top rail. If it's high enough to see over the FSB I can go without adding the Z mount or maybe just a short riser.

I've had two cheapo red dots on it already but in the more normal tube configuration and had no issue with them. I have a rail on my M1A so I figure the Eotech will work on either as I choose.

Gary

Agree the Eotech would be too high on the handle. My ACOG is on the handle but it was made to fit in the channel and I have a big head so the sight alignment works well for me. It shoots low under 100 m because of the height offset but that's not really an issue for me.

I would think the EOTECH would be even higher on the handle and then whatever distance you sight it in would be fine but closer or further is going to suffer because of the height between the barrel and the EOTECH chevron. There's probably a $5 term for that geometric effect but it escapes me at the moment.

I think it's parallax or something like that. With the RAS forearm I don't need to mount it on the handle. The sight will mount on the top forearm rail and the circle/dot only needs to see over the FSB. I would think this would keep the balance a lot further into the center of the axis, and keep the sightline closer to the bore center.

Gary

And here's how it ended up. Used the Zmount that I had but will pick up a riser later. I lose the iron sights but...

eot2.jpg

Gary

if you ever need iron sights in a hurry you can just remove the eotech.

i ended up going with a carry handle mount for my aimpoint, then swapped the upper to a flat top and used a cantilever mount--finally i sold the aimpoint because it didn't work out for me. wished i got an eotech. [laugh]

be sure to post a range report when you get that thing out to punch some holes in paper!

Back
Top Bottom