• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

eotech 512 or other optics

jeepsrt8

NES Member
I recently purchased an m4 rifle and have been looking online for optics for some time. I was curious to see it anyone has tried or owned the Eotech 512 scope? I am curious to see if this optics system is worth the 400 dollar price tag or am I better off with another optics system. I will be engaging in both short range and long rage shooting (200 yards max).

I recently purchased an m4 rifle and have been looking online for optics for some time. I was curious to see it anyone has tried or owned the Eotech 512 scope? I am curious to see if this optics system is worth the 400 dollar price tag or am I better off with another optics system. I will be engaging in both short range and long rage shooting (200 yards max).

200 yards is not long range. The Aimpoint is a better optic in my opinion. (I own an Eotech 512 and an Aimpoint CompM3.) The Trijicon ACOG is even better but unfortunately I can't afford it.

You said $400 so look at the Aimpoint PRO model.
It's a great optic for that price.
You will not regret it.
I have had a 512 Eotech (now I have an Eotech XPS2-2).
Seriously look at the Aimpoint PRO.
That's what my next optic will be.
smitty

I have an Eotech 512 on my AR15 which I don't shoot "long" distances with - 50/100yds usually and it's fine for that. My only complaint is with my astigmatism, not the sight. Holographic sights aren't that great if you have astigmatism and don't have corrective lenses or glasses, but it depends on your own eyes. Best to look through one before buying if possible. Mine is slightly blurry but with my prescription glasses it looks fine. I got mine used on AR15.com for a little under $300. I would very much like a Trijicon ACOG but alas, $$$ does not grow on the trees in my yard.

I've got a 512 - sometimes lives on my AR and sometimes on my USC. I do love it, lots of fun to shoot, very intuitive and easy for new shooters to use effectively. Very effective up to 100 yards, dont have much experience beyond that - the dot is a little big at that distance, I would imagine.

I have an AimPoint Pro and it is great for 100 yds. I also have a ACOG TA31 and that is by far my favorite. I have shot an AR with a Eotech and liked the AimPoint more, hence why I have one. (I don't remember what model Eotech though.)

Any eotech is well worth its price tag. I have 2, I much prefer their reticle over an aimpoints.
Use lithium batteries and you will not have any problems.

Last edited:
Aimpoint = VERY long battery life, ? more durable, lighter (if you get a mirco like I have)
Eotech 512th = great recipticle (IMO), shorter battery life
ACOG (I have a TA33) - not as fast in close <25yard, no batteries, awesome glass

larue.com

Aimpoint on a LaRue mount for the win! i have the comp mL3 (i think, i always forget)... but the PRO is a great aim point option.

i've seen my friends have issues with Eotech's... just saying.

Eotech's are ugly....[laugh]

I had one once, never got comfortable with it but they are well made. I have an Aimpoint M3 and M4S with the Larue mounts and I took to the Aimpoints very quickly. It's all personal preference I guess.

I have an Eotech XPS on my XCR and an ACOG on my AR. I like the Eotech a lot for up to 100 yds. The ACOG is a great piece of glass but the fixed 4X is kind of limiting. I can see where it might be just the thing if you're walking around Iraq and targets are in a 50-300yd range but for my purposes, I'd like a 2-8X scope on the AR.

I own a Aimpoint Comp M4, a eotech 512 and a ACOG TA31RCOM4...my opinion would be if you were just going to have 1 of these go for the EoTech. And also think about going with the GGG mount or a Larue I have the Larue on all of mine and love their mounts.

The Aimpoint is shipping out tomorrow I tried to like it but just could not compared to the EoTech therefor I sold it on ebay along with the aimpoint magnifier

The ACOG absolutely has the advantage at 100 yds or beyond, but not quite as fast as the eotech inside of 50 or so yards for my liking due to the 3x magnification, so for general shooting if I had to choose just one out of the 3... I would choose the eotech..Its faster, cheaper, and works really well......but for super high quality and really clear glass the ACOG is the nuts

I like the EOTECH reticle better than just the dot on the AIMPOINTS. The 65 MOA circle and the 1 MOA center dot I believe is quicker in close situations, and allows you to be more precise at longer ranges. I've used both (issued M68 CCOs which are COMP M2/4, and EOTECH 553s and 512s). The other thing to think about is the fact that SOCOM issues out EOTECH 553's in their SOPMOD Bloc 2 sets, so if its good enough for those dudes...it should be plenty fine for you.

The only thing that the AIMPOINTS has over the EOTECH is the battery life. But unless your in a combat situation I believe it is a mute point. Remember most AIMPOINTS you have to buy a mount with too, unless its the Pro.

Just my opinion. Look in the classified section, lots of both for sale usually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom