EOPS List

Fee,

Set your User CP to show ALL threads (default is only 30 days) and then do a search on some key words in the Gun Laws Forum and read the "likely suspects".

Short answer is that NO, there is no such list and never will be until/unless we get a pro-gun person as AG and that is about as likely in MA as seeing a true Republican Party exist in this state. Nothing can force the AG to approve or create a list of approved guns, thus no such list.

Also a correction on your terms "guns that are legal" . . . NO handguns are currently illegal in MA! The law restricts what handguns a MA DEALER can sell, but allows private parties in MA with proper LTC to sell up to 4 guns/year and ignore all the BS on tested/approved/etc. So, people who move into PRM with guns that dealers can't sell here are ripe for making big bucks selling them privately once they get their LTC.

FeeBear said:
... Is there a website that lists which guns that are legal? ...

Point of clarification: The "list" referred to shows those guns that can legally be sold by MA licensed dealers. The fact that a gun is not on the EOPS list or that it does not meet the AG's CMR does not mean that possession of a gun or purchase from a licensed Mass resident is in any way illegal.

Ken

FeeBear,

I also recommend that you take some time to research the dealers that you buy from, PARTICULARLY at gun shows. In my travels I have found many unscrupulous dealers whom are more than willing to sell you non compliant parts/guns, and then let you swing for it. In the case of the above mentioned pistol sales, both are right in saying that there are no illegal hand guns to own in Mass, just guns that are "illegal" for a dealer to sell. What IS illegal that happens is post ban items being represented as pre ban, illegally configured long guns, etc. Mostly this happens at gun shows, where the dealer might be from out of state. Be aware of what youre buying, and whom you're buying it from. There are a bunch of quality ethical dealers in the Eastern Mass area (see the gun shops and reviews thread for more info), and I buy from these folks with the utmost confidence that I am compliant with the PRM's confusing (at best) laws.

Best of luck and welcome to the forums!

In my travels I have found many unscrupulous dealers whom are more than willing to sell you non compliant parts/guns, and then let you swing for it.

As regards the handguns, there is NO liability to the purchaser; the Mass. dealer bears the penalty. There IS a penalty for possessing "post-ban" mags in this state.

As for altered guns, etc., the first hurdle is Federal. Clear that and then you can worry about any state issues.

What do you all think of this:

What if (hypothetically) a dealer thumbed his nose at the AG AND the EOPS and sold a gun that was not on either list? Do the penalties still fall solely on the dealer? Given that no pistol is illegal to own in Mass. does that mean that if a dealer will get it for you, you can buy whatever you want regardless of ANY list, and the dealer entirely assumes all risks? I know the answer to this as far as the AG's list is concerned, but is the EOPS list another matter entirely? I also wonder what would/could happen to the owner when he or she filled out the FA-10 form. Might be cause for a sting, or even "illegal" pressure on the new owner from the "powers that be"...

Mod Hat On!

Please read (by Searching) other threads here in Gun Laws on this.

It's been discussed to death numerous times. The answer is also in the text that you typed (that's the short answer).

LenS,

Can you direct me to the thread? I have found tons of discussion on the AG list, but nothing conclusive on the EOPS scenario.

Thanks!

Better yet, you can read it directly from the MGLs verbatim, no interpretations by "folks on the Internet".

MGL C. 140 S. 123

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-123.htm

Search that text for "sixteenth" and the following sections and you'll have the text of the restrictions and who the penalties accrue to. The annotated version in Ron Glidden's book is a lot easier to follow, but the meat is still in the MGLs.

Alright, can I make sure that I understand this. If I wanted to buy a new 2006 Glock, I couldn't buy it from a dealer but if a private LTC owner transported the Glock to the state and that person could sell it to me. Of course he would be liable to penalties?

Fee

FeeBear said:
Alright, can I make sure that I understand this. If I wanted to buy a new 2006 Glock, I couldn't buy it from a dealer but if a private LTC owner transported the Glock to the state and that person could sell it to me. Of course he would be liable to penalties?

Fee

Nope, not quite right.

Said LTC owner would have had to move into MA with his 2006 Glock or have purchased it as a LEO (but no longer is LE or no longer needs it . . . there are legal restrictions on LE so that they can't just buy to resell). They (as long as they are MA Residents with LTC) could legally sell it to another LTC holder (MA Resident).

NO PENALTIES apply to anyone in the above example. Re-read the MGLs . . . it ONLY applies to MA DEALERS, not private citizen sales.

Back
Top Bottom