• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can and will a MA FFL transfer a handgun mfg. on or before Oct. 21, 1998 which is not on the approved list?

cjmass

NES Member
The Atty. Gen. May 2000 Enforcement Notice #2 states that guns. mfg. on or before Oct. 21, 1998 may be transferred by an FFL if they have an approved lock and the dealer provides the required written and verbal warnings and disclosures upon transfer. The other requirements of the regulations will not apply, meaning that the gun does not have to be on the approved firearms list. However, when I approached my local FFL in Westport, Shooting Supply, asking them to do a transfer of my revolver mfg. in 1974 (which is owned and possessed by me here in MA) to my in state LTC buyer, they refused to do so and said they can only transfer handguns which are on the approved list. In view of what the Atty. Gen. Enforcement Notice states, this makes no sense to me. I am thus asking our NES brain trust if I am missing something, and whether it is true that no FFL can do such a transfer of a gun mfg. on or before 10/21/98 if the gun is not on the approved list? However, if this is not true and any FFL truly can do such a transfer (which the Enforcement Notice says in plain English that it can be done), are you aware of FFLs who will do so? I do not want to waste one of my personal transfers in order to sell a gun mfg. on or before 10/21/98 which any FFL should be able to transfer. Thanks!

Last edited:
from the notice
The handgun regulations have been codified in the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, at 940 CMR 16.00. The regulations should be consulted for more comprehensive and specific information. This enforcement notice is for general informational purposes only. Only the regulations themselves have the force of law.

According to the OP he is……..“when I approached my local FFL in Westport,”
He is. Is the gun?

I'm assuming (and I know what that does) that he found something of interest elsewhere (e.g., gunbroker) and is trying to inbound it at his local shop. I'm sure more info would help all of us help him. This being the internet, I'm surprised we've been given a much as we have.

He is. Is the gun?

I'm assuming (and I know what that does) that he found something of interest elsewhere (e.g., gunbroker) and is trying to inbound it at his local shop. I'm sure more info would help all of us help him. This being the internet, I'm surprised we've been given a much as we have.

“do a transfer of a revolver mfg. in 1974 to my buyer,”

Every FFL has their own interpretation of the laws and their risk tolerance.
But why not eFA10 it?

If it was made pre-1998 GCA, it is grandfathered and FFLs can do a transfer. That's how all those "old" Glocks get into gun shops in MA for sale to the peons.

That said, most FFLs are totally ignorant of the laws and exceptions (that are clearly written in those laws) and refuse to research it, so it isn't surprising to find an FFL who refuses to make the legal transfer.

Answer is to not waste time trying to educate the willfully ignorant but to find another FFL to do the deal.

It needs to have been in MA pre 1998 right?

Lot's of FFLs will go by that "rule". I had one that wouldn't transfer and old Colt 1911, that had an original receipt from a dealer in MA, but still wouldn't transfer it.

Back
Top Bottom