• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

empty-mag hold-open on slide stop of 1911 just stopped working

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have a Sig 1911. I just took it apart to clean and polish the chamber a little, and when I put it back together, it doesn't lock the slide open anymore when an empty mag is inserted. What's more, it's hard to eject the mag, something is grabbing it even when I press the mag release.

I happened to have another slide stop from another 1911, and when I swapped that in, everything works fine.

Could my slide stop have gotten bent a little when I removed it somehow? I don't think I pressed it hard enough to bend it... it seems like it doesn't catch the edge of the magazine follower, so doesn't get pushed up, or else maybe something else is causing too much friction to let it get pushed up when the magazine is empty.

Empty mag slide lock failures are most often a result of bad mags - especially followers. Try using Wilson or Chip McCormick mags. For expert diagnosis and fixes pose your 1911 question on 1911forum.com - no better qualified troubleshooters for 1911.

It appears that the problem is the slide release rather than the magazine. Could it be that when you installed the slide release that it wasn't 100% in place?

It appears that the problem is the slide release rather than the magazine. Could it be that when you installed the slide release that it wasn't 100% in place?

This, and the slide stop got caught under the follower, making it hard to drop the magazine.

This, and the slide stop got caught under the follower, making it hard to drop the magazine.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was what was happening. It just didn't seem to me like I could have bent the slide stop. I'm sure it went back in all the way when I reassembled, I tried that about three times, so the only thing I can think of is that it got a little bent.

Is the little detent buggered up that presses on slide release? Think it's cAlled slide release plunger?

That's an interesting idea, I wonder if I could have bent that a little, seems more likely than bending the slide stop itself...

Last edited:
Looks like the bad slide stop has a bit of a bend to it allowing the follower to bypass. Put a straight edge along the arm. I think you'll see that it curves outward from the frame.

You know, there are different caliber slide stop pins.

I'm pretty sure this is the original slide stop that came with the gun. What's strange is it was working fine until I took the gun down and reassembled it. Yet I'm pretty certain I never exerted enough force to bend that part.

My Sig TTT had some issues like that. I ended up lightly sanding the slide stop pin to smoothen it out (wrapped the pin in 400 grit paper and spun it). Works fine now.

Its a MIM part and was a bit rough.

My Sig TTT had some issues like that. I ended up lightly sanding the slide stop pin to smoothen it out (wrapped the pin in 400 grit paper and spun it). Works fine now.

Its a MIM part and was a bit rough.

Sounds like an easy thing to try, I'll see what happens

Has the bad slide stop ever been fitted to your gun by a gunsmith or did you take it out of the bag new and install it without fitting it to the gun?

Last edited:
Has the bad side stop ever been fitted to your gun by a gunsmith or did you take it out ofthe bag new and install it without fitting it to the gun?

It is the slide stop that came installed on the gun. I'm not 100% positive it's factory part, as I did get the gun used.
It was working fine until I took the slide off to clean, and then didn't work when I reassambled.

Moral of the story, don't clean your gun.

Lesson learned! When I first got them, I used to clean my guns religiously. Now I only clean them when they start acting funny. The only reason I was took this one down was that it was not able to chamber Wolf steel case .45. I thought it might be a little dirty, and the tolerances are pretty tight on this particular 1911. I decide to polish the chamber with some steel wool.

Back
Top Bottom