• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Emergency" LTC?

I have a friend who's in a rather horrible and dangerous position - she's currently being stalked by an ex, who has already violated a restraining order once, and even told the arresting officer that he'd do it again.

Worse, he's stated (to her) his intent to do her harm. He's currently in custody, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

She has had some training with firearms, but I don't think she has a LTC. In these situations, are there any legal mechanisms for an "expedited" LTC, perhaps from a sympathetic police chief?

Last edited:
i would seriously dout it. the way mass laws are. but if its that serious i would suggest buying a shotgun in NH. Apply for a LTC A as soon as possible and go get a written statement from the police attesting to what the guy said and start the paper work and see if he can send it all out that day and get the photos and prints down in one quick motion. If she has some training she might have a FID or something.

but even tho its illegal i would make sure i had something handy if my life was threatened and i didnt have a license. at least a switch blade or butterfly knife which you can pick up at any flea market or gun convention. A taser is also easy to get offline, 50,000 volts to the groin can stop a guy quick.

then when she does get the LTC register the shotgun and get a subcompact glock 9mm or .40

I do not believe there is an "emergency" LTC application. I don't think I would want one either. If they can process applications quickly for one, they would have to do it for everyone. Who knows...if she told her chief he may say that she is only eligible for a Class B or none at all. I 100% am against abuse on females and feel for her but they may not approve her even if she applies while is is locked up.

The fastest and easiest thing to do if I were in your shoes- get an FID- mace only application at the local PD where she lives. No courses and I assume no wait.

You can pick up mace or pepper spray locally.

There is no emergency LTC/FID.
She should apply for an LTC/FID ASAP anyway. I would recommend against borrowing or buying a firearm in another state. Or arming herself with "illegal" weapons. Unfortunately, she either breaks the law trying to protect herself or she has to move to a safe/unknown location.
You say he's in custody so there is no imminent threat. If he's in custody due to the domestic situation she must by law be notified of his release. She should contact the facility where he is incarcerated and "remind" them of the release notification.

Scary. Get the FID and a shotgun. Im not about to give illegal advise, but if i was honestly in fear of my life, i would do everything possible to ensure my safety.

Jon's advice is well-founded.

- If found with illegal weapons, she'll go to jail and he'll be out on the street!

- An FID takes as long to get as a LTC. NO point in going for one.

- Contacting the right person, she should be able to get a course done in a few days under the circumstances. Many trainers will bust their tail to help her if they can.

- A sympathetic chief can expedite the process if he wants to, but it will still take a few weeks at best. Be aware that some chiefs in this circumstance, will deny for fear that the woman will use the gun . . . ugly fact of prejudices out there.

- If he gets out (and he probably will, sooner than later), she needs to "disappear" (perhaps a shelter) and take time off from work until she's able to protect herself and/or able to get him sent away for a long time.

Regrettably, she's going to need a lot of luck! Good luck!

A sympathetic chief can expedite the process if he wants to, but it will still take a few weeks at best.
If one can be found in this commie state.
Be aware that some chiefs in this circumstance, will deny for fear that the woman will use the gun . . . ugly fact of prejudices out there.
Big +1

Correct, the spray-only FID takes just as long, and requires all the fingerprinting and photos just like a Class A. My wife got one and the 2-month process was identical as my process for the Class A, with the only exception being the officer didn't try to scare my wife about the dangers of being able to carry pepper spray and the responsibility that comes with.

She should apply for the Class A NOW, unless her town is known for not issuing them, in which case move NOW. She should probably move to NH anyway, at least temporarily; the permit only takes a week there but they do want to see a certificate for a training course. (You can get long guns without the NH permit, right?)

If none of that'll do, pepper spray 4oz can cone pattern (also illegal in MA... not a problem in NH).

Last resort, big can of wasp spray? I wouldn't want that in the face.

(You can get long guns without the NH permit, right?)

No so. NH is a free state! As a NH resident, you can happily walk into any gun store, show them your NH state ID fill out the necessary paperwork, and walk out with ANY gun they have in stock! In NH, you only need a permit to carry concealed!.

No so. NH is a free state! As a NH resident, you can happily walk into any gun store, show them your NH state ID fill out the necessary paperwork, and walk out with ANY gun they have in stock! In NH, you only need a permit to carry concealed!.

That's awesome! But it has to be a NH ID, right? When I presented my MA ID, they then presented me with all the same paperwork that I get in MA as if I was buying it in MA (and only works for long gun... a hand gun would require an FFL transfer).

Yes that's correct. The paperwork you got is the same form everyone in the country has to fill out, and file for the NCIS check before buying a firearm. As a MA resident, you can buy any long-gun (that is legal to own in MA) from anywhere in the country. The only thing you need to do, is to fill out a form FA-10 (registration only) within 7 days of returning to the state.

Prepper has it right.

Handguns (per Fed Law) MUST go thru FFL in buyer's home state.

Long guns you show ID (they should request LTC), do 4473 & NICS and out the door (assuming gun is legal to possess in MA). YOU do the FA-10 as "Registration" when you bring it back into MA (instructions on FA-10 as to how to fill that out).

YOU do the FA-10 as "Registration" when you bring it back into MA (instructions on FA-10 as to how to fill that out).

That's odd, we did the filling out of that at the out of state store if I recall correctly. The guy was very familiar with selling to MA folks since he gets them all the time in the store.

Joe6486: There are a number of instructors here on the forums. I'm sure one of us can do a special class at short notice for her, if needed. Just ask.

Joe6486: There are a number of instructors here on the forums. I'm sure one of us can do a special class at short notice for her, if needed. Just ask.

Thanks. I think she's got that part covered. For the moment she's also staying with friends (dude is now out on bail...)

That's odd, we did the filling out of that at the out of state store if I recall correctly. The guy was very familiar with selling to MA folks since he gets them all the time in the store.

Technically only MA Dealers or MA Residents are supposed to fill them out, but I'm sure that they won't care, as long as they get "more data to feed into their machines"!

Tell her to go to west marine and buy a flair gun and the mortors that fit it. It's a single shot but once he's hit in the belly he'll be thinking of something other than attacking her.

If he's on the attack let him get in close, pull, point and shoot then run away. No hesitation!!!

All the while she can take all the other advice offered and try to obtain her LTC.

Tell her to go to west marine and buy a flair gun [sic] and the mortors [sic] that fit it. It's a single shot but once he's hit in the belly he'll be thinking of something other than attacking her.

Flare guns (note correct spelling) do not fire "mortors;" they fire - SURPRISE - flares! [rolleyes]

I understand they are popular for self-defense in Pacific rim nations where carrying a real gun for SD is not permitted. Of course, anyone who's seen Lifeboat has an idea of the effect.

Last edited:
Tell her to go to west marine and buy a flair gun and the mortors that fit it. It's a single shot but once he's hit in the belly he'll be thinking of something other than attacking her.

If he's on the attack let him get in close, pull, point and shoot then run away. No hesitation!!!

All the while she can take all the other advice offered and try to obtain her LTC.

Like this... [smile]

http://37mm.com/lotw

If you ever see a flare gun, they are hardly concealable!! Take your 1911 and triple the width and add about 4" in length and you're about there!

Thus, she's likely to get a lot of "unwanted attention" carrying one of those things around.

if she kept it in a handbag or something. Of course once you pull it out everyone is going to see it.....tough to miss that safety orange color out on the street....

If you ever see a flare gun, they are hardly concealable!! Take your 1911 and triple the width and add about 4" in length and you're about there!

Thus, she's likely to get a lot of "unwanted attention" carrying one of those things around.

I hope she's a boat owner or railway worker... [wink]

CHAPTER 148. FIRE PREVENTION

Chapter 148: Section 39. Sales, possession, use, etc. of combustible or explosive substances to produce visible or audible effects; fireworks; definitions; exceptions;enforcement procedures; penalties ...

The term “fireworks” as used herein shall not include...

to the sale of flares, lanterns or fireworks for the use of, and their use by, railroads, railways, boats, motor vehicles or other transportation agencies, or other activity,lawfully permitted or required to use any or all of such articles for signal purposes, illumination or otherwise,

http://www.mass.gov/portal/gog_cach...xLAWSxMGLx&proxystylesheet=mgov&oe=ISO-8859-1

to the sale of flares, lanterns or fireworks for the use of, and their use by, railroads, railways, boats, motor vehicles or other transportation agencies, or other activity,lawfully permitted or required to use any or all of such articles for signal purposes, illumination or otherwise,

plus she's trying to save her life....

so if she shoots him, he will illuminate thus signaling to the cops his location so they can come and arrest him.

if she kept it in a handbag or something. Of course once you pull it out everyone is going to see it.....tough to miss that safety orange color out on the street....

Wouldn't someone be calling everyone for help anyhow BEFORE it got to the pulling it out stage? I would think if one were being accosted/attacked, the more help the better.

Back
Top Bottom