Electronic FA-10

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I finally ran out of FA-10's and went to the State website to check out the electronic FA-10's

I have always been told we do not register guns we register our purchase or transfer and that we are legally able to do the same.

But reading the FA10 website it says you are registering the gun! not the purchase, yoiu are recording ownership THAT is registration

MASSACHUSETTS FIREARMS REGISTRATION AND TRANSFER SYSTEM

Registration

•Use this option if 1) you are a Massachusetts resident and you obtained a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from out of state 2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you wish to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or 3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau.

ALSO in reading the website it says the paper forms are no longer accepted, is that true?

What happens if the buyer doesn't know his PIN for his LTC? will it still allow me to Register the gun?

Last edited:
I finally ran out of FA-10's and went to the State website to check out the electronic FA-10's

I have always been told we do not register guns we register our purchase or transfer and that we are legally able to do the same.

But reading the FA10 website it says you are registering the gun! not the purchase, yoiu are recording ownership THAT is registration

MASSACHUSETTS FIREARMS REGISTRATION AND TRANSFER SYSTEM

Registration

•Use this option if 1) you are a Massachusetts resident and you obtained a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from out of state 2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you wish to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or 3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau.

ALSO in reading the website it says the paper forms are no longer accepted, is that true?

What happens if the buyer doesn't know his PIN for his LTC? will it still allow me to Register the gun?

Get the paper copies from the PD or CHSB. They take those but said they will send back the fill-able PDF FA-10's. GOAL has said they dont trust the EFA-10 because its not secure, a PITA etc. I trust their (GOAL's) judgement.

I checked at Walpole PD and they said they are no longer providing the FA10's since there is an electronic version.

If I print out the fillable form and fill it in by hand with a pen will they take that?

Just got the Friday feed from goal, it confirms they will only take the numbered forms or electronic FA10's. I have been trying to get through to them and all I can get is the message they will call back in a couple days.
I should have know better it is a Friday!

I checked at Walpole PD and they said they are no longer providing the FA10's since there is an electronic version.

If I print out the fillable form and fill it in by hand with a pen will they take that?

That's not true, when I talked to someone at CHSB and told her one of the local PD's had a note stating that CHSB would not provide paper copies, and people had to go online, she told me that was 100% false. She also took down the name of the department, and told me she would be sending them a stack of FA-10's and a note telling them they can request them at any time. If Walpole PD is telling you that, either THEY (the PD) is refusing to give them out, or they are referring to CHSB not providing them, they are flat out lying.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/144100-No-more-PDF-FA-10-s-accepted?highlight=

Stay away from the E-file system. Call your PD and tell them that CHSB has FA-10s and that they need to reorder. If they refuse to do this, call CHSB and demand some FA-10s.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Just got the Friday feed from goal, it confirms they will only take the numbered forms or electronic FA10's. I have been trying to get through to them and all I can get is the message they will call back in a couple days.
I should have know better it is a Friday!

Here's an idea or two

Print out the CHSB letter from the GOAL website, show it to your local PD when they tell you that CHSB won't send out forms any more.

If you call CHSB and get a recording, why not call the number on that letter. It's not the same as the number that GOAL posted on their website, perhaps you'll reach a human with it?

http://goal.org/Documents/fa_10_letter.pdf

My son went to Norwood PD, they told him there are no more paper FA-10's and that the website is SECURE

what a crock

Did you have him bring a copy of that letter (Post #7) with him to show them?

I suspect that most PDs actually believe what they are telling you/him.

And most never question a "gov't website" . . . "it's run by the gov't so it must be secure" is the common attitude of most in gov't and the sheeple they preach to. Truth be told, the gov't has a lot less to lose if your/my personal info is stolen/compromised than a private business. You can sue the private business and receive a judgment for damages, you will NOT successfully sue a gov't entity and get compensation for your losses/harm.

I just got off the phone with the FRB and they claim that the website is secure and up to FBI standards, of course the FBI has been hacked!

They are sending me 4 FA-10 forms, but I had to explain why I wanted them.

I am still working my way through Walpole PD and will be bringing the letter with me!

I just got off the phone with the FRB and they claim that the website is secure and up to FBI standards, of course the FBI has been hacked!

They are sending me 4 FA-10 forms, but I had to explain why I wanted them.

I am still working my way through Walpole PD and will be bringing the letter with me!

Good luck. They told me the same thing and I never saw anything in the mail.

Not sure why people are all freaked out about this and are saying this isn't secure. I work in IT and mainly networks. When you fill out the form i believe the only info you provide is LTC number, Serial number and Pin in terms of the seller?

The paper form gets put into the same database as the online form so regardless if someone wanted to hack into it to get information they could do so. LAst i checked hackers go after Banking and credit card info. I dont think a hacker cares much for my LTC and the serial number of my Sig 226.

Only way this could be dangerous is if you are doing it over an unsecure wireless connection. For example if you were doing this at Starbucks and your data is sent un-encrypted.

Otherwise this is Safe to do. I would not be worried. If you are worried then dont do online banking or pay any bill online anymore.

Not sure why people are all freaked out about this and are saying this isn't secure. I work in IT and mainly networks. When you fill out the form i believe the only info you provide is LTC number, Serial number and Pin in terms of the seller?

The paper form gets put into the same database as the online form so regardless if someone wanted to hack into it to get information they could do so. LAst i checked hackers go after Banking and credit card info. I dont think a hacker cares much for my LTC and the serial number of my Sig 226.

Only way this could be dangerous is if you are doing it over an unsecure wireless connection. For example if you were doing this at Starbucks and your data is sent un-encrypted.

Otherwise this is Safe to do. I would not be worried. If you are worried then dont do online banking or pay any bill online anymore.

Websites with cert validation errors and that kind of shit are unprofessional and shouldn't be used or trusted, period, particularly not in this kind of application. This isn't some site where you buy tickets to get on the fung wah bus. That's amateur hour crap right there, IMO. It's not so much that that specifically is a security problem, but it sets the tone- eg, that they just slapped it together- if they can't make that work right, then what else is messed up under the hood?

Yeah, the site does work, but it's a buggy, ghetto POS.

-Mike

End of the day, the government still sucks, i wish i lived in the days of wild bill hickock, I would walk around with my sixer shooter and play poker all day, screw hookers and take some blow

PS he was awesome in Deadwood

What errors are you talking about. The cert comes from Verisign. The most trusted and used website ceritifcation in the United states. Its pretty much what every major healthcare and finance organization uses on there website. You can even view the cert and see what they are using for Encryption which is what I just did.

Websites with cert validation errors and that kind of shit are unprofessional and shouldn't be used or trusted, period, particularly not in this kind of application. This isn't some site where you buy tickets to get on the fung wah bus. That's amateur hour crap right there, IMO. It's not so much that that specifically is a security problem, but it sets the tone- eg, that they just slapped it together- if they can't make that work right, then what else is messed up under the hood?

Yeah, the site does work, but it's a buggy, ghetto POS.

-Mike

What errors are you talking about. The cert comes from Verisign. The most trusted and used website ceritifcation in the United states. Its pretty much what every major healthcare and finance organization uses on there website. You can even view the cert and see what they are using for Encryption which is what I just did.

It used to have some massive cert validation error, but then again I haven't attempted to log into it since the day it was announced and rolled out. And I never will attempt it, as long as there is some other way to file the paperwork.

-Mike

It used to have some massive cert validation error, but then again I haven't attempted to log into it since the day it was announced and rolled out. And I never will attempt it, as long as there is some other way to file the paperwork.

-Mike

I have used it recently, worked fine, im not a network engineer, but im somewhat a computer geek, but not really kinda of sort off, it was secure for me, i wouldnt have done it if i had FA 10 paper forms and if i felt it was unsecure, i think the best solution is to move to NH lol

I just went on the site and it is https so it is secure. I used it to register a 1909 Colt Police Positive marked for Boston Police Dept. It ran through without errors.

My only thing at this time is that when I buy a gun I like to get my copy of the FA-10 right away, now I will be waiting for the seller to go back home and enter the data in a computer and mail me a copy.

At the same time I wonder if I buy a handgun and the seller forgets to fill out the FA-10 on line, but that is sort of the same thing now, except I WOULD have the signed copy to cover my ass if it was investigated, now you would just have an unregistered gun... ooops I am sorry we are registering the sale not the gun (RIGHT) [rofl]

You work in IT and don't agree that not having a signed certificate for your 'secure' site isn't the most bush-league thing possible?

Do you even know what a signed certificate is? Like I said don't bother buying stuff online or doing banking cause those are also unsecure according to everyone here. No offense everyone but get over the "boogie Man" theory. Hackers aren't out there to get your LTC numbers...

I wont use the EFA-10, because if they want the info about my guys (that they have no legit. reason to have, nor could they ever...) SOMEONE other than myself is going to have to work to get it. Open my mail and scan it, I wont do the work for you. [angry]

Do you even know what a signed certificate is? Like I said don't bother buying stuff online or doing banking cause those are also unsecure according to everyone here. No offense everyone but get over the "boogie Man" theory. Hackers aren't out there to get your LTC numbers...

Yes I do. And if the state can't or won't shell out the $1500 to get one for the year while expecting me to use the site as a means to transmit my personal data; they can go pound sand.

And I am worried about hackers stealing my personal info. Because of this system, they have everything they need to complete a firearms transaction in my name. Not to mention they know that glide has X amount of guns at his residence on Main St.

I'm also not in the business of doing other people's work. And that's what this does. Previously I filled out a form, sent it in, and someone ELSE had to type that info into a computer for whatever reason the state decided. If I am compelled to send them anything at all; I prefer that method.

So there's a few reasons why no one should use it. I think they are pretty valid.

Yes very valid but maybe the state is looking to save money on people doing data entry...I mean trip government spending right? And the people they hire are NU students doing internships. They could easily do what they want with you info. I know my friend worked there for 6 months.

And again the site is secure but believe what you guys want nothing more I can prove. I'll be using it with no issues.

Also if you want to view the certificate you can do so from your browser. It's valid for another 5 years..it's there for the end user to see and verify its secure..same as with your online banking

Also if you want to view the certificate you can do so from your browser. It's valid for another 5 years..it's there for the end user to see and verify its secure..same as with your online banking

Thanks for clearing this up, I'll be doing a couple of tranactions there soon.

Thanks for clearing this up, I'll be doing a couple of tranactions there soon.

GOAL is asking that you don't do that.
-Front page top scrolling box

E-FA 10 Issue October 24, 2011 Update:
"At this time GOAL recommends that the online form is not used. Should you have any difficulties obtaining the official 3 part FA10 form, please contact the FRB here. or call them (617) 660-4782 "

Back
Top Bottom